Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Lyon Bastile or Daguerre in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 10:16 AM
Linda

Has anyone stayed at RDP Lyon Bastile in the 12th Ag. or Daguerre in the 14th? I'm planning to book through France Vacations and want something decent, cheap, close-in, and if I'm really lucky, charming.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 01:10 PM
francesca

The area around rue Daguerre is a hell of a lot nicer than the area around the Gare de Lyon or even most of the Bastille.. .

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 06:24 AM
Linda

Francesca, Thanks for the advice.I'll eliminate that whole area. What do you know about the 18th Ag, near Hotel Prima Lepic? It's (along with the Daguerre) another "charming" buget hotel.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 12:58 PM
francesca

I don't know the 18th well. It has lovely areas and creepy areas. I can recommend two places. One I have seen and many family members have stayed there; it's the Hotel De L'Avre in the 15th. A two star on a quite street with a little garden in which you can have breakfast. (metro La Motte Picquet) Everyone I have put in there has always been very pleased. Another place, which I have not visited, but always thought looked really cute from the outside, was Hotel du Port Royal on blvd du Port Royal on the border of the 5th/13th (metro Gobelins). There was a positive mention of it recently in French Elle. It's a one star! Good luck.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 01:05 PM
Beth

Friends and I rented an apartment near rue Daguerre last summer (2001). I can't vouch for the hotel, but the area is great. Rue Daguerre is a market street with anything you would need; fun creperie, butcher, cheeses, pharmacy, two bakeries, near a few Metro stops. The nearby Montparnasse cemetery is worth seeing; ask for the printed guide at the guard office. Lots of shopping and eating on LeClerc nearby. There is also a market at the Edgar Quinet metro stop (about 4-5 blocks from Daguerre; Weds and Sats are miscellaneous "stuff" and foods; Sunday is the art market, where artisans sell their arts directly to the public. We thoroughly enjoyed being in the area, although it is a metro or bus ride to the center of Paris.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Linda

Francesca and Beth, Thanks again, my mind is made up and I'll let you know how things turn out at the Daguerre. Linda

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 05:57 PM
Paula

Linda,<BR> We stayed at the Hotel Daguerre this March and it was wonderful. The staff was especially nice and we enjoyed talking to one nice gentleman named Renaud in the evenings. He gave us lots of wonderful information and it was interesting exchanging ideas about the differences between American and French customs and interactions. Another desk clerk (sorry I forgot his name) even went so far as to take me across the street to a little local mart and show me a wine suggestion, when I asked for a recommendation. Crystal is fantastic and when I asked about reserving direct with the hotel this year she even threw in free breakfast. The staff is fantastic. We stayed in room 503 (we were also a France Vacations reservation) and the room was small, as most are, but very clean, nice, and had a wonderful set of large floor to ceiling windows that opened up onto the street below. Modern bath, heated towel racks, hair dryer, but small shower. Small refrig in the room (mini-bar). They did not problem with us using the frig for all the wonderful goodies we found in the markets. (as some hotels do.) There is a great cheese shop and pastry shop on that street also. We enjoyed sitting on the window ledge, soaking up the street sights, and having a glass of wonderful French wine before we went out for dinner. We are palnning a return trip in February (on our own plan this time) The hotel also has the most fantastic Indian restraunt next door (Asman) that served fantastic food. Sahie (botching this name terribly) was the manager and he was most gracious and brought us wonderful to try. Food that we hadn't even ordered. You will be very pleased with the location and Hotel Daguerre. There are any wonderful shops along Rue Dagguerre. We took the Air France shuttle from the airport(cheap)and it let us off at Gare Montparnasse, a short walk to the hotel. Two metro stops (Gaite and Denfert Rocherau) are very close, and the Train station, which we took to Versailles, makes it easy to get around. Any questions just email me.