Jazz clubs in London?

Apr 23rd, 2003, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Jazz clubs in London?

While in London in May, I'd like to hear some live jazz. Any recommendations?
Apr 23rd, 2003, 05:35 PM

CleoB,
Two places I have been to and enjoyed: 1. Ronnie Scott's
2. The lower level of the Pizza Express( yep, a Pizza place ) on Dean Street in Soho.
Apr 24th, 2003, 02:33 AM

I would echo Starspinners recommendations and add that you'll need recommendations at both. Here are the websites:

www.ronniescotts.co.uk
http://www.pizzaexpress.co.uk/indexf.htm
Apr 24th, 2003, 05:19 AM

Also Dover St Wine Bar (Dover St, near Green Park) for more commercial stuff (no long introverted solos for the jazz afficionados ). Best to book table for dinner (OK food but mediocre value) otherwise the guys at the door will make you queue because "there are too many people" and what a surprise you are let in after 10 or 11 - cannot remember trigger point, when price for entry goes up despite no people leaving. No jeans and they can be strict - the bouncers are pretty stupid and a bit power mad there so if they see trouser pockets which are jeans style, they may say no. (Staff inside are fine).
Apr 24th, 2003, 02:52 PM

Interesting - I did a post on this a few hours ago that seemed to take at the time and has since disappeared...

I suggested (and still do) that you could check out Stacy Kent's jazz magazine programme Jazz Line Up on BBC Radio 3 which is also relayed through their website - www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/jazz/index.shtml
at 4pm BST on Saturday afternoons - that will have news of forthcoming tours and events. There's also a jazz radio station in London with a gig guide on their website - www.jazzfm.com