Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where can i find the best martini in London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, I will be in London for 3 weeks in June and I was hoping that you guys can help me finding a place for good mixed drinks. I like cosmos, bellini's, fruity martinis... fun drinks!

Maybe near the theatre district for after theatre drinks or in Kensington cause thats where im staying. Thanks guys!

p.s. can u get mixed drinks in pubs?
Old May 13th, 2005, 01:23 AM

When you say mixed drinks - do you mean cocktails, or just a kind of gin and tonic mixed drink?

All pubs serve spirits, soft drinks, mixe4rs, beer, wine by the bottle, whatever you like. I can't promise that the barman will be a dab hand at making cocktails, but they'll have a go if you ask.

I'll get my thinking cap on about somewhere suitably fabulous for cocktails.

Kate
London
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:03 AM

The best dry martini is served at the American Bar at The Savoy.

If you want really serious cocktails pre-11pm (after which it becomes members only) then book at Milk & Honey which is quite simply the best bar in London.

Another super hotel bar is The Bar at Claridge's which has been really well designed, and even has a fumoir.

Wodka nearby in Kensington is noted for its traditionallly made vodkas. I wasn't all that impressed with their cocktails, but it's relatively cheap, and in your case convenient too!

MOLON at The Mandarin Oriental also puts in a stellar performance.

I could go on and on, if you'd like anything more specific then please come back and ask away!
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:06 AM

Probably your best bet for cocktails is Milk and Honey (www.mlkhny.com with a review at http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/review_2364.html)

It's on Poland Street (between Oxford Street and Soho) but doesn't have a sign outside and you will need to phone to book a table. And afraid that it's members' only after 11pm. Great place.

If you can't get in there then it's sister bar is The Player, just around the corner on Broadwick Street, does as good cocktails but it lacks the sophistication of Milk and Honey. http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/review_1367.html

And here's a Top 10 of cocktail bars in London...

http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/home_fea...cktailbars.asp

Enjoy!

Old May 13th, 2005, 03:37 AM

I understand from your other post that you are 19 years old..is that correct?
Old May 13th, 2005, 04:25 AM

If that's the case, then some of these bars MAY operate an over 21s policy. Still, can't stop you trying.
Old May 13th, 2005, 04:35 AM
ira

>I like cosmos, bellini's, fruity martinis... fun drinks!<

You want a soda fountain.

A Martini is made by rinsing a cold, crystal Martini pitcher with a dab of Martini & Rossi White Vermouth, adding cold Plymouth gin from the freezer, a few ice cubes (make a tinkling sound) and stirring with a crystal rod.

Pour into Martini glasses which have been properly chilled in crystal glass chillers.

Drink the first one quickly and the second one slowly. - Bertie Wooster

Yes, I would like a Martini/
One, maybe two at the most/
After three, I am under the table/
After four, I am under the host.
Dorothy Parker

Old May 13th, 2005, 05:46 AM

The only instruction Ira seems to have left out of this is the "fact" that when you sip them you should have some boiled peanuts to go along with them...preferably served to you by some sort of servant in livery as you recall the days of yore....
Old May 13th, 2005, 07:18 AM

We just returned from London; the Connaught bar has superb Cosmos and Martinis. And you get to rub shoulders with the rich & famous (Lauren Bacall in our case!). JP
Old May 13th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Are you serious that they may have under 21 policies? I thought the drinking age was lower, 18 or 16.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!
Old May 13th, 2005, 01:34 PM

Ira, I prefer Noilly Prat vermouth, and I like more than just a dab. Plymouth gin is fine, but I don't think you will achieve the correct dilution if you keep it in the freezer. (One of the most important ingredients in any cocktail is melted ice.)

I would not object to a dash of orange bitters or a lemon twist. Hold the olive.

There is something about a Martini -
A tingle remarkably pleasant -
A yellow, a mellow Martini -
I wish that I had one at present.
There is something about a Martini
Ere the dining and dancing begin,
And to tell you the truth,
It is not the vermouth;
I think that perhaps it's the gin.

- Ogden Nash
Old May 13th, 2005, 01:41 PM
ira

Hi ja,

>...I don't think you will achieve the correct dilution if you keep it in the freezer. <

See my earlier quote from Bertie Wooster.

My favorite Martooni mading by pouring the very cold gin over ice, looking at the vermouth bottle and pouring the gin into a very cold glass.

Sometimes I put in a caper berry, sometimes a caper, occasionally a Calamata olive.

Old May 13th, 2005, 04:19 PM

Martinis have gotten so caught up in that "dry" macho thing. A dry martini ruins my taste buds for hours. But a lot of folks do like them.

I prefer a bourbon Manhattan: Into a shaker with 4-5 ice cubes pour 2-1/2 shots bourbon, 1 shot sweet vermouth, a dash or two of bitters--stir and strain into a Martini glass containing 1 cherry (or 2 if Mrs. Fly is in the vicinity).

Others prefer the drier rye Manhattan--substitue rye whiskey for the bourbon and dry vermouth for the sweet.

Adjust proportions to taste whichever version you choose. Some folks even mix sweet and dry vermouth in the same drink to taste. Of course, one would never mix the whiskeys.

Such a lovely and elegant mahogany color in the candlelight.

Now, where to get the best one in London?