Famous London Pubs

Search

Famous London Pubs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 01:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Famous London Pubs

How would you rate the two pubs found below and which other ones would you recommend.

I just love the names of pubs in the UK and the history of many of them. Id like to visit several for a drink and maybe an evening meal.

Looking for warm, friendly places without a rowdy crowd.

Salisbury: Glittering cut-glass mirrors and old-fashioned banquettes, plus lighting fixtures of veiled bronze girls in flowing togas, re-create the Victorian gin-parlor atmosphere in the heart of the West End. Theatergoers drop in for homemade meat pie or salad buffet before curtain.

Grenadier: Arguably London's most famous pub, and reputedly haunted, the Grenadier was once frequented by the duke of Wellington's officers on leave from fighting Napoléon. It pours the best Bloody Marys in town, and filet of beef Wellington is always a specialty.

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 02:01 AM

If you set Search on this page to *London pub for evening meal* you will find my list of pubs with good suppers or dinners. None of them are rowdy, though the last three, the gastropubs, are crowded.

Or I shall be glad to e-mail you my list of pubs with meals I like, with lunch and evening.

Welcome to London

[email protected]
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 02:09 AM
Original Poster

Ben, thank you. I'll add them to my list.

Found two more, both near Trafalger Square; Salisbury and the Lamb & Flag.

Also seen Gordon's Wine Bar mentioned in other posts on this forum.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 02:14 AM
dumas1870

Here's a couple near St. Paul's:

Punch Tavern at 99 Fleet St

Old Bell at 95 Fleet St

Black Frair at 174 Queen Victoria St

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 02:47 AM

hansikday

You asked about "rating" these pubs. I don't recognise the Salisbury from the write-up: it might have changed recently but it was a serious gay pub at night when I worked opposite it (though an all-purpose local boozer at lunchtime and in the early evening). But it IS stunning inside.

But there's a much easier way of sussing pubs in central London. Just walk in and have a look round. You'll quickly acquire a nose for the kind of pub that suits you and the kind that doesn't. If it doesn't smell right, don't buy a drink.

Do remember though that almost all pubs morph in character through the day. A rowdy place at lunch can be downright intimate at night and v.v.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 03:30 AM

The Salisbury long ago ceased to be anything like a gay bar, though given its location it remains fairly 'theatrical'.

But flanneruk's advice is right - serendipity is the best way for some holiday experiences
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 04:23 AM
Degas

The wise lads from the UK gave you some good advice about serendipity being a good method for holiday experiences, but it never hurts to have a little list of recommendations in your pocket.

Here's a couple near Parliment and Westmister Abbbey:

Albert on Victoria St

Red Lion on Parliment St

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 04:37 AM
dumas1870

Two more for the Tower Hill and South Bank area:

Dickens Inn, St Katherines Way, Tower Hill Tube

An 18th Century spice warehouse converted in the style of a 19th Century balconied two story Inn. it has 2 Restaurants, a snack bar, and traditional tavern. The Beer garden and restaurant balconies are open during the summer. A unique setting overlooking Tower Bridge and the Marina with its boats and walkways.

The Founders Arms, just downstream from the southern end of Blackfriars Bridge. I stole this one from Ben.

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 05:17 AM
Degas

Here's one for the city:

Ye Olde Cock Tavern
22 Fleet Street, London, EC4 1YA

Mock Tudor frontage, long bar full of Victorian woodwork with classical style pillars on the bar itself.

One of the most famous taverns in the City of London and the oldest in Fleet Street. Built originally in 1549. The upstairs Function Room is airy with a stained glass ceiling. Old prints cover the walls.

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Here are some old Pubs in The City. Please comment if you know about them.

Centre Page
29-33 Knightrider Street, London, EC4 5BH

Nearest Underground/Train Station: Blackfriars
Near: a stone?s throw from St. Paul's and the Millennium Bridge

Old, classic pub, wooden floor panneling. Restored recently and is now warm and light inside. Beer is served in pewter tankards. Traditional, fresh English food served.

Hand & Shears
1 Middle Street, Cloth Fair, London, EC1A 7JA

Nearest Underground/Train Station: Barbican
Near: St. Paul's Cathedral, Old Bailey, Barbican Arts Centre, Museum of London, Barts Hospital

Small traditional pub behind City of London's oldest Church - St. Bartholomew's the Great and originally built in 1123. Rebuilt in 1849 the bar is central to a square wooden panelled room which is split into four and is occupied by a mix of medical and office workers. In Winter the open fires makes for a warm and friendly atmosphere where you can enjoy a quiet pint and good food while contemplating the 19th Century cartoons that are spread around the room.

Lord Raglan
61 St Martins-Le-Grand, London, EC1A 4ER

Nearest Underground/Train Station: St Pauls
Near: St Pauls Cathedral, Bank of England, Old Bailey, Museum of London

Victorian London Pub. Reconstructed in 1855 on top of the original cellars. It then became "The Lord Raglan" to commemorate Lord Raglan the hero and Commander in Chief ot the Crimean campaign. This pub itself offers a good selection of food, wines & beers in a relaxed atmosphere. The pub was often visited by Shakespeare and his friends

Ye Olde London
42 Ludgate Hill, City, London, EC4M 7JU

Nearest Underground/Train Station: St Paul's, Blackfriars
Near: St. Paul's Cathedral Central Criminal Court, Old Bailey Museum of London Postal Museum

Built on the site of the Ludgate Prison for debtors erected in 1377. In 1731, London's first coffee house opened here, then in 1872 the Ye Olde London was built. Refurbished in 1985 but kept the original facade. Inside are two bars with comfortable seats, bookshelves and a mews garden. Food on offer is traditional roast meats, daily specials with a grill counter where you can choose your steak or Fish & Chips and have it cooked whilst you watch.

Ye Olde Cock Tavern
22 Fleet Street, London, EC4 1YA

Nearest Underground/Train Station: Temple, Chancery Lane
Near: The Temple, St. Paul's, Covent Garden, St. Brides, Embankment, Royal Courts of Justice

Mock Tudor frontage, long bar full of Victorian woodwork with lovely classical style pillars on the bar itself. One of the most famous taverns in the City of London and the oldest in Fleet Street. Built originally in 1549. The upstairs Function Room is airy with a stained glass ceiling. Old prints cover the walls.

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 07:50 AM

I am fascinated with the "Hung, Drawn and Quartered" . . down by the Tower.

Interesting decor with a nice outside area.

Rich
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 10:53 AM

Pubs are so overrated by tourists - no pub will serve good cocktails - warm beer at a pinch. Food will be bland and no better than aircraft food.

However, the new breed of gastrobpubs are changing this image with imaginative menus and designery touches.

The best drinks are still found in expensive and exclusive bars; the finest cuisine in expensive and exclusive restaurants - you really do get what you pay for.

Don't overdo the "quaint thing" doesn't stand for much in a modern world.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 11:05 AM
Degas

m_kingdom, you sure know how to drop a turd in the punch bowl. People like to dream a little when they travel. Best not to ruin the romance, adventure, and excitiment that they see/feel and you don't.

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 01:20 PM

Is that a problem? . . folks going to Pubs looking for cocktails and fine food.? ? I hardly think so . . certainly not when I lived in London.

Rich
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 01:59 PM

Some kind soul on this forum provided this website:

http://alt.venus.co.uk/vpub/welcome.htm

Over 250 pub reviews are included, by alphabet and by location.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 02:25 PM
dumas1870

m_kingdom, most tourists don't go to pubs for fine dining or the "best drinks."

You go to your expensive and exclusive bars and let the rest of us go to a pub and have a good time.

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 03:21 PM
dumas1870

jsmith, most of the pub reviews on the site you listed were done in either 1996 or 1997.

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 04:41 PM

Dumas1870, OK, ignore it then.

A search on google gives 811,000 references to "pubs in London". Here are four:

http://www.pubs.com/ last update June 2003

http://users.aol.com/sfhsliz/pubs.htm last update 3/3/01

http://www.visitlondon.com/html/inde...59&grp=420 couldn't find date for last update

http://www.regularsreunited.co.uk/ last update 8/21/03

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 05:41 PM
dumas1870

jsmith, those are much better. Good info.

Old Sep 14th, 2003, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the inputs - good info here.

Fleet Streat seems to have a whole string of them. Anybody else have anymore?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -