January Weather in Amsterdam

Aug 22nd, 2009, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

January Weather in Amsterdam

Thinking of traveling to Amsterdam in January...I see that the temp. is usually between 34 to 41F. Windy? A lot of snow? Should we re-think this trip?
Thanks.
Aug 22nd, 2009, 07:32 AM

Chances of snow are small, but possible. Even then it will most likely only be a smattering. The temperature can vary between -5C to 15C but around 5C is more normal nowadays.
It will probably be wet, and the days short - Sunrise is 08.51 on January 1st and 08.24 on January 31st. Sunset is 16.38 and 17.25 on the same dates.

If you don't mind grey and cool/cold then why not? The museums are warm and well lit, as are the restaurants and cafés. there will be fewer tourists so you can really appreciate the museums without sharing them with busloads of others.
Aug 22nd, 2009, 08:12 AM

DH and I were living in Amsterdam for the past year, for his work, so I can only speak from experience about one winter. We are from the San Francisco Bay Area and so not used to cold winters, but we found Amsterdam's winter quite tolerable. It really isn't that cold. We had to make an unexpected trip to Washington DC last January, and it was much colder there than in Amsterdam. In Amsterdam there was a little snow a few times, although it didn't last on the ground long. We considered ourselves very fortunate that the canals froze for a few days (unusual these days evidently) and we got to go skating on them.

Believe me, before we moved there I wasn't quite sure what to expect and was very concerned about my ability to put up with winter there, but I actually enjoyed it.

There is something very beautiful about Amsterdam in the winter - even with the early darkness. Walking down a deserted quiet Amsterdam street after dark with the lights reflecting off the canals is an experience we actually confessed we were missing this summer. Since there is water everywhere, there are light reflections everywhere, and it is truly lovely.

We have just returned to the States, although we expect to have to go back the next few summers for DH's work again. We have actually talked about how it's too bad that we will probably only be there May through August the next few years as we will miss the beauty of Amsterdam in the winter.

So I say ... go for it.
Aug 24th, 2009, 08:03 AM

Amsterdam is popular in all months, but unfortunately January is the coldest
http://theamsterdamguide.planeteye.c...-in-amsterdam/
Aug 24th, 2009, 08:39 AM

Um, your chances of snow are very small if the temps remain above freezing - you would need to be in the 20's to get serious snow. And Amsterdam rarely has any - it's chilly and often damp - but not a real hard-core winter.
Aug 30th, 2009, 05:04 AM

It's really not that cold and generally is above freezing. Not snowy at all anymore thanks to global warming. If darkness and drizzle work for you, January is an ideal month to go to Amsterdam.....and it really is lovely in winter, as in every other season.