Amsterdam in January

Old Nov 30th, 2016, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam in January

We were in AMS Feb a few years ago and the whole of the main square had food stalls, carousel rides etc. Is this something that happens every year? If so is it likely to be happening Jan 2nd onwards?

Also any other recommendations for AMS Jan 2-5th? Have been there are few times before so have seen/been to the main sites like Anne Franks etc. Interested in any other things you may recommend. I see the light festival is happening then so will take a look at that in the evening. Also saw something about an ice sculpture show?

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 12:00 PM

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ite-things.cfm
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 12:40 PM

Here is the website for the ice sculptures; https://www.ijsbeelden.nl/en

You could get the ferry over to Amsterdam Noord and explore the area, if you haven't been. Have a look at https://www.adamlookout.com/

This article gives you a taste of the area https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...taurants-clubs

If you can try to book a boat tour for the light festival, as well as doing it on foot.

Otherwise places like the Rijksmuseum and Hermitage are always full of things you might have missed on a previous visit.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! Have you been to the ice sculptures? I think it looks like it could be good to visit. Definitely thinking of a boat trip as well as walking through the light festival. Do you think it is necessary to book the boat tickets before we go or just wait until we get there?
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 01:01 PM

Booking the boat would probably be a safer bet if only so you don't have to wait around in the cold, but I expect by January they will be quieter and you may be able to find something.

I haven't been to the ice sculptures in Amsterdam. It is the first year they are there, and it isn't open yet. They used to be in Zwolle and we went once to that one, which was much more low key.
We are thinking of spending a couple of nights in Amsterdam soon, depending on the weather (we will be in our campervan) and if we go after the 10th we may go to the sculptures.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 01:03 PM

NO need to book boat tickets at any time of year and especially in January- there are various companies offering them at different locations - I suggest getting one that goes out into the Harbor and then back into town by a different route -some do not go into the Harbor from where you get a dandy view of Amsterdam's ancient facade.

Amsterdam has tons of museums most have not heard of that are so neat. Get a National Museum Card and go into sights and small museums you may have passed by and get a treat - like My Lord in the Attic church- the Reubens House - the Jewish Museum - the Dutch Resistance Museum are all fairly close together.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 01:06 PM

http://www.amsterdamtourist.info/tip...s/museumkaart/

You also get priority entrance at popular museums though this should not be a big factor at that time of year. Covers all the major museums too as well as the Anne Frank House should you care to go again.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 01:12 PM

Pal - we are talking about tours of the light show, not the bog standard canal tour. If you want to do the light show tour there are a lot of companies offering them, but generally you do have to book. They have multiple departures every evening.

You still need to book a timed ticket for Anne Frankhuis with a museum card, and tbh jules would have to spend every second visiting museums to get their moneys worth out of such a purchase.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 02:18 PM

tbh jules would have to spend every second visiting museums to get their moneys worth out of such a purchase.>

Especially since they have seen the major museums and Anne Frank House - just thought back to one early Jan I spent a week in Amsterdam and just loved walking around and popping into various off the radar for most sights.

Thanks for correction on boat trips -the Lights sound fantastic - like Blackpool on canals!

https://amsterdamlightfestival.com/en May have answers to boat reservations info.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 07:29 PM

<i> Amsterdam in January
Posted by: jules39 on Nov 30, 16 at 3:55pm
Also any other recommendations for AMS Jan 2-5th? </i>

I suggest a Haarlem day trip. There are half a dozen trains an hour taking about 20 minutes. The Corrie Ten Boom Museum is another WW2 experience. Haarlem is a very charming city with a few other museums and plenty of cozy cafes.
Old Dec 1st, 2016, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all!
Old Dec 1st, 2016, 09:54 AM

ditto for Haarlem as a more typical Dutch regional town - half a day could suffice. Nice to get out of Amsterdam a bit if possible.
Old Dec 1st, 2016, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again. I had not looked at the light festival page for a few weeks and last time I looked they did not have details about this coming festival so I was glad to see that is there now. Haarlem was one of the places I was thinking of for a bit of a trip out of town. A 20 min train trip is easy.
Old Dec 1st, 2016, 10:12 PM

Utrecht is nicer than Haarlem, cityscape more interesting, a more interesting history than Haarlem and it has

http://www.trajectumlumen.nl/en?ins_...VuLmNvbQ%3D%3D
Old Dec 2nd, 2016, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks I will look into Utrecht. I appreciate all the info.