Anybody who lives in Amsterdam: need advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In August, DH and I are due to move to Amsterdam (just for a year while DH is doing a sabbatical). I have two questions: a winter question and a summer question.

The winter question: We live in California and I actually do not own a winter coat. I know Amsterdam winter's can be rainy and windy and cold, although I understand they are not often snowy. What type of winter coat would you recommend? What kind best stands up to rain AND cold AND wind?

DH was there in January and he said he thought he saw mostly long wool coats - although it was unusually warm the week he was there. Wouldn't wool coats get all soaked in the rain? (I'm sure these questions seem really dumb - I actually have lived in cold climates before, but long ago.) Any advice will be most appreciated.

The summer question: I'm currently reading a book written by an Australian who moved to Amsterdam. Among other things he mentions that he uses a mosquito net in his Amsterdam apartment for "ten months a year". eek - mosquitoes? I hadn't even thought about them. What's the mosquito situation there?

Thank you for any advice/info. What would you like me to bring you from the States? ;->
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 07:53 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Maybe a trench coat with a zip-out lining? We froze one summer in Amsterdam. The high was 48 the day we arrived and was in the upper 30's at night. We also had a mosquito's at even with the cold weather. I'll never understand why they don't just get screens for the windows.
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 11:08 PM

Yes it does snow in winter, but just a little in general. On an occasional day traffic is a mess because of that.
The last few winters were not too cold (again except some little snow), but a few years ago canals in Amsterdam were frozen....
Weather is the most talked about topic, since one really doesnot now.
Bring indeed a woolen coat, or at least a nice warm a fleece coat.
An umbrella is certainly a must.
Remember we do have shops over here, so you can still buy it when needed.
The closer you live to the water you will see mosquitos, certainly on a nice summernight. I have never used a net, just spray when needed. Those is mostly in summer, hardly in winter. There are screens for sale to put into the window to keep mosquitos out.
Bring the good California weather and sunshine with you!!!!
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 11:11 PM

Why not wait and buy a coat when you get to Amsterdam? Then you can see what is on offer here and what suits you best. Long wool coats are great unless there is a downpour. A trenchcoat style may be more practical - you can wear it with layers underneath against any cold we may or may not get.
Or choose a shorter coat which is more practical when cycling, walking in woods etc.
I have a wax jacket for winter and a lighter weight waterproof jacket, made of some synthetic material, for the rest of the year, plus a good wool coat for more formal occasions.

Mosquitos in Amsterdam. Well if you live near the canals then yes, you have a good chance of mozzies for a good part of the year. Away from the canals they are really only a summer problem, as they are elsewhere in the Netherlands.
Many windows are not designed for screens - either they open inwards or slide upwards, which can make fitting screens tricky. Plus many people rent their homes and may be reluctant to invest in screens which they can't take with them when they go, but have to through out and make good on any damage done to the frames when fitting them.
Stock up on Skin-so-soft - it's not available in Holland!
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 01:39 AM

Hi NorCalif, I am surprised you do not own a winter coat. I have several. One sure needs one in SF and in the general area in winter and sometimes even when it is not winter. Anyway I wear a wool coat when it is raining and with an umberella it is not a problem. I also have a cashmere coat that is wonderful too. One coat that I have is a trench coat that is waterproof. Another is a trench coat that has a zipper type lining that is great if it is really cold. All of my coats can be worn with pants or skirts or dresses. But if you don't have one maybe waiting until you get there to buy one would be a great idea. Now the mosquito problem, that is a whole different matter isn't it. But how forunate you are to be able to live in Amsterdam for a year. I envy you. Mosquito's or not.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your ideas - they're really helpful.

I had thought of waiting till I get there to buy a coat, but I will admit the exchange rate has been scaring me off that idea somewhat. I keep reading about all the Europeans coming to the States to buy clothes because they're cheaper here! I didn't want to wait till I got there and have to pay more for the same sort of coat than I would at home. On the thread in the lounge I confessed to being one of those people who missed the shopping gene - I'm sure it's obvious. ;->

LI - I really don't find I need a winter coat here - I have a light raincoat (no liner) and that's it. Certainly nothing that will stand up to real cold and wind.

But yes, come cold or mosquitoes or both, I am looking forward to it! Thanks again ...
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 09:35 AM

Bring your liner free light raincoat. You will probably use it more than any thick winter coat. If it is a bit roomy you can add layers under it to keep warm. A good scarf and gloves are essentials too.
I have no idea how much you would normally pay for a coat but given that it is only for one winter here I would go to somewhere like C&A or H&M once you get here and see what they have. It isn't going to be the best quality but it will be warm and reasonably priced.
It very rarely gets seriously cold here nowadays, and the city is always a little warmer just because it is a city. The wind can be the killer - hence a good scarf, and maybe a warm hat. But you can buy those here too for only a few Euros.
August will be peak mozzie time so bring some repellent with you that you like - I bring Skin so Soft in from the UK as it is non toxic and works! You can also use citronella candles outside, and little plug in mozzie scarers that use citronella indoors.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 10:51 AM

I'd go with a waterproof microfiber hooded coat that includes a liner that you can button or zip out. The hood is nice as an extra layer over a hat if it's very windy, and will also work instead of an umbrella for a short walk or if it's not raining too hard. Shorter versions are more convenient for cycling, and longer better for keeping you warm, with a compromise being a longer coat that you can open from the bottom (either with buttons or a two-way zipper) so that you can free your legs if you're on a bike.

Don't forget gloves and a scarf---both of these items will make a huge difference in your comfort on cold days. I don't wear hats, as they usually make my head too hot, and instead wear earmuffs. The type that I prefer is called Ear Warmers 180. They come in lots of fabrics, and go behind your head (under your hair if it's long) rather than over it. They're very comfortable and won't make your hair weird.

Finally, don't forget to consider your footwear.

The weather in Amsterdam changes frequently (just like it does here where I live), so always consider the possibility that you'll need to gain or lose a layer during the day. I also tend to find winter interiors in Europe very, very warm compared to here in the U.S. and find that I have to take off everything but the very last layer when I'm inside.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 01:06 PM

I live in Brussels - but the winter weather is similar. I have wool coats for winter. You don't tend to stand directly out in the rain - ie. if I'm walking I have an umbrella, or I take public transport or I'm in the car.