Jan Trip-Seville and where?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2006, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a meeting in Seville at the end of January. Should we stay longer and explore? Stay in Seville for several days or do another area of Spain? We could spend up to a week. When I looked at flights it looks like getting to Seville is a challenge? Help! (thanks!)
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 06:03 AM

From where are flights to Seville a challenge? I flew from JFK with no problem a few years ago. You certainly do not want to do another area of Spain if you will be in Seville. Have you done a search for Seville and for other places in Andalucia? There is so much information. I would spend 3 days in Seville and then move on to Arcos, Jerez, Cadiz, Ronda, Granada, Cordoba, to mention a few possiblities.
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 08:41 AM

In January, temperatures in Seville should be around 5.C but if they have a cold spell and it goes below zero and there is snow, the surrounding roads could be undrivable. If worse comes to worse, you can get a cheap flight to Malaga and stay on the Costa del Sol (sun coast, down south) for a few days. Lots of places to see, as well as Gibraltar and a trip into nearby Morocco.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 03:51 PM

My husband has a conference in Seville at the end of January as well. I cant wait to go to Granada and surrounding areas.
We want to possibly go to Lisbon? Does anyone know id there could be a possib ility for snow on the roads at that time of year. Dumb question. I hate these kind of questions.... Ive done some other research except for weather conditions.....
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 05:51 PM

Yes, it's possible to have snow. January and February are the coldest months here in Spain.
You can go to Lisbon but ..how many days do you have ? Lisbon is not as near as it seems.. It's an almost 5 hours drive
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 02:14 AM

Train to Lisbon and explore.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 02:27 AM

There is a high speed train between Madrid and Seville, so if you wanted to see a different region in Spain, Madrid would be an option. It's very lively, has some stunning museums, has great shopping, etc - and would make a good contrast with Seville.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 06:16 AM

I am flying into Madrid, staying with friends. Have toured Madrid a few times in the past.
Driving to Seville, then will have about 4-5 days there while husband is "working". We realize Portugal is about a 5 hour drive. Maybe we should take a train if there is a possibility of snow on roads.
Thanks for the replies. I cannot wait to go!!! I read up on The Ahlahambra (sp) last night!! Can't wait.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 08:42 AM

My friend highly recommend Granada for a day or so. Toledo seems pretty nice for a few days. If you want to fly around Spain, check out this link, http://www.vueling.com/EN/index.php?mode=. If you book before Dec 5, some flights are only 10 euros. Here's a link to a car rental place that seems to have good rates, http://www.autoeurope.com/car.cfm?pu...p;aff=jerryvan
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 09:19 AM

I would stay in Sevilla and rent a car (or take the train) for some day trips. We spent three weeks wandering from Paris down to Sevilla last spring and I felt that *only* having five days for Andalucia was terrible. I could have stayed in the general vicinity of Sevilla for a month - easily. If you like countryside, drive around the white villages. The Alhambra is lovely, but (nobody shoot me!) a bit over-rated and over-crowded IMO. The Mesquita/Cathedral in Cordoba is pretty breathtaking. my .02
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 09:22 AM

A few years ago on a 2 hour stopover in Madrid on the way to the (sunny) Canary Islands in mid January, it was -4.C outside with snow (like Chicago, it's in the middle of the country so gets extremes of weather).

The airport terminal was 32.C!
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. We are set to fly into Malaga, have 3 1/2 days free, then go to the meeting in Seville, have an extra day, then fly out of Seville. Planning to rent a car till we get to Seville.

Anyone have any tips on where to stay in the Malaga or coastal area and things to do?
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 02:05 PM

Depends what you like. The closest resort town to the Malaga airport is Torremolinos. More upscale is Marbella. You could do a side trip to Granada easily from the Malaga area. Mijas is a pretty little town with lots of tourist shopping. Antequera is not too far and Ronda would make a nice day trip. However, you may just want to relax and enjoy the local restaurants etc...
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 01:01 AM

Malaga is a very nice city in January. You can stay at AC Malaga Palacio hotel in the very centre, or in NH Malaga, just past the river (400 mts away). Both have parking facilities, though NH are better. Driving in and out of Malaga is very easy from the city center, especially in this month that is not crowded, if you decide to make trips to, let's say Frigiliana which is a very charming white village by the eastern coast, next to Nerja. The Marbella area is not as typical as it is very over-built. Ronda is 1h30min from Malaga. Antequera is about 35 min, though in the way to Seville. Both cities I highly recommend.