Germany over Christmas

Search

Germany over Christmas

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2006, 02:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Germany over Christmas

Hi this is my first time leaving the states and I had a few questions about traveling to Germany. Im going from the 20th of Dec until the 3rd of Jan. The schedule I have come up with so far is:
Day 1 Plane Flight (Dec 20)
Day 2 (Dec 21)Cathedral in Cologne on the way to Spangdahlem (Rail Pass Day 1)
Day 3 (Dec 22) Bastogne-Mardasson Monument, Patton's grave (2h drive) On the return drive Bitburg Brewery (20 mins from Spangdahlem) Xmas shopping
Day 4 (Dec 23) Cochem-Castle, wineries, small town Xmas shopping (1h 15m from Spangdahlem)
Day 5 (Dec 24)
Day 6 Xmas(Dec 25)
Day 7 (Dec 26) Hohenzollern Castle near Hechingen, south of Stuttgart (Train Pass Day 2)
Day 8 (Dec 27)Skiing/Garmisch
Day 9 (Dec 28)Skiing/Garmisch
Day 10 Get to Amsterdam (Dec 29) (Rail Pass Day 3)
Day 11 Party in Amsterdam (Dec 30)
Day 12 Party in Amsterdam (Dec 31)
Day 13 Recover in Amsterdam (Jan 1)
Day 14 Leave Amsterdam (Jan 2) (Rail Pass Day 4)
Day 15 Plane Flight (Jan 3) Leave

My first problem is going skiing in Garmisch. I have had a difficult time finding a place to stay. Ill be 26 years of age at the time so is a Youth hostel out of the question? Anyone know of a good hotel, nothing fancy pls. Second, alls I found online was a ski ticket for 3 days for all the different areas in Garmisch, is it possible to just get a single day pass?

I saw on the forums that the 25th and the 26th are holidays. Would Hohenzollern Castle be closed on the 26th?
If anyone has any input on something to see or really any input at all would be great. Thank you very much.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 05:43 AM

Is there a reason why you can't start in the southern part of Germany and work your way north?
Will Cochem Castle be open during Dec?
Some places close from the end of Oct to the end of March.
You can find a lot of info about Germany here by using the search box.
Also the German Tourist Bureau offers a wealth of info. Most towns in Germany have websites. Pick the town/city and enter www.town name.de
Enjoy your research- Germany is a wonderful place. We are leaving next week for our second time this year.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 06:01 AM
LN

hi

Opening Hours

Hohenzollern Castle is open year-round and can be visited by taking one of the guided tours (offered daily every 15-30 minutes).

November 1st to March 15th:
from 10 a.m. to 4.30 p.m.

March 16th to November 1st:
from 9 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.

Exception: closed on December 24th; open on December 31 until 3 p.m.; open on January 1st from 11a.m.

Garmisch/Partinkirchen is great - research google on the name and you should find many good hotels. You could look at Vier Jahreitzen. Its a typical German hotel and they take good care of you.

We loved eating in the old section - the restaurants were great.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 09:23 AM

I would definitely visit Hohenzollern castle (http://www.preussen.de/de/heute/burg...ollern.html)if I were passing nearby. It is very impressive with its hilltop location. There have been a castles on the hill since the 11th century, but the current one was built in the middle 19th century, just for show.

Where do you plan to spend the previous night? If you are arriving by train at Hechingen station, there is only one bus per day to the castle. (Hechingen does not promoted its castle like Füssen does its castles). The bus leaves Hechingen station at 11:24 (gets to the castle at 11:40). You can't get to Hechingen from Spangdahlem in time to catch that bus. One the other hand, a train (IRE 3255) leaves Stuttgart at 10:15 and arrives in Hechingen in time to catch the bus. It also stops in Tübingen on the way at 11:00; that might be a nice place to overnight on your way.

There is a very small train station nearer to the castle, but few trains stop there, and there is no public transportation from there to the base of the castle hill.

On the other hand, when I went to Hechingen, I walked a short distance from the station up to the town square and found a taxi. But, if you have luggage with you, I don't know if there are lockers at the Hechingen station (it is quite small).
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 12:54 PM

Brian,

I'd recommend you take your co-workers with you.

After all, they are so deserving.

MvK
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 03:28 PM

ttt
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 03:45 AM

Brian leaves in two days.

Have a great trip, take many photos, sample many GREAT beers and wines, and DO NOT hurt yourself while skiing in Garmisch or Mittenwald.

MvK