Jan/Feb 2 week Europe Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2016, 11:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have a two week break from the 21st Jan to the 4th Feb. We realise this isn't the most ideal time to go to Europe being winter and all, however we can't alter the dates so we're deferring to your collective experience for some ideas! We will also have a 5-6mth old baby.

We love nature, wildlife, good walks, good food. We're very happy to find one good location and base ourselves there with the options of day trips, we're keen travels and want to make the most of this break to see some beautiful part of the world. Open to any and all ideas
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 03:26 AM

You will be fine except for the short days.

A baby that age is tough. Yes, it will sleep a lot, but because of time zone changes (unless you are coming from Africa) the hours that baby wants to sleep may not be the hours you want baby to sleep. You also have to schlep a lot of stuff. This conflicts with your natural desire to see as much as possible on your trip.

I would recommend staying in two places London-Paris, Paris-Rome, Amsterdam-Berlin, whatever. Fly into one and home from the other.

Spend three or four days in your first city seeing the local sites and two days taking the train for a daytrip: Rome to Florence, Paris to Bruges, London to Oxford, whatever appeals. That way you only have to move once, mid trip, and never have to carry more than one day of paraphernalia at a time. Give each parent half a day in each city on his/her own while the other stays with baby.

Good luck!
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 05:06 AM

The countryside is NOT at it's best at that time of year. Days are short and usually fairly grey. Even if the temps are not too low and it's not raining the trees will have no leaves, brown grass and no flowers - unless you head to the more southern parts of Spain or Italy where spring comes early.

Otherwise you will really need to do city vacations to make the most of your limited time.

Your baby will be at the carrying/sleeping age which is a benefit - but may get very bored and fussy if doesn;t get enough playing time - which will mean mostly indoors then, except possibly for looking at ducks in a park or similar.

Do be prepared for the possibility of snow.
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 05:39 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The Nature/Wildlife bits will be difficult.

I'd do a two city trip -- whichever two seem most appealing to you. Then you can do day trip - or not depending on the weather. If you pick say London/Paris or London/Rome or Barcelona/Paris - something like that will give you enough to see/do IN the cities if you decide against venturing out.

I'd rent apartments (and aparthotel in Paris since there are currently serious issues re privately rented apartments). An apartment gives you 1) more space, 2) a separate living room so you can stay up while the baby is sleeping in the, 3) a kitchen/kitchenette, 4) usually a washer/dryer - w/ all the extra 'stuff' you need to lug for the baby you really need to pack as light as possible so having a washing machine is a godsend.
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 07:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I think that I would go for somewhere with as mild a climate as possible - say southern Spain or Portugal, rent an apartment for the whole time, and use it as a base for exploring.

that way you will have the minimum amount of moving about to do with all the paraphernalia that babies seem to need, and your baby will have a good base in which to sleep and feel settled.
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 07:56 AM

Go south. Spain, Portugal or Italy.
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

I'm loving the idea of Spain, Portugal or France - I'd be happy in any of these three. Can we narrow it down to specific locations; has anyone been to beautiful town they could picture wondering around for a week or two and just enjoying good food? We love to cook, I'm happy enough doing that for two weeks I think!

I love Spain, have spent some time in Madrid, Barcelona, Granada and Nerja (hence why we're asking for advice on this trip, we thought Nerja was our authentic, non touristy spot last time... definitely wrong on that front! Still a beautiful spot though) but I haven't spent a great deal of time in France (beside Paris) and have never been to Portugal.

Send some names of towns - I'm open to any ideas! I love the idea of getting suggestions from people who have been there
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

Oh and a BIG thank you for all the ideas so far!
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 10:41 PM

>>we thought Nerja was our authentic, non touristy spot last time... definitely wrong on that front!<<

Just about everyplace will be non-touristy in January. That is one thing you will have to consider -- small, out of the way towns w/ any sort of tourism/sites will be pretty much shut down in Jan/Feb.

That is why you may want to stay in cities.
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 11:53 PM
Original Poster

Ok great to know! Any specific suggestions?
Old Jul 17th, 2016, 01:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
how about Seville?

a lovely place, plenty to fill your time, wonderful food - and in January there shouldn't be too many tourists about.
Old Jul 17th, 2016, 05:19 AM

I think Seville would be a great choice.
Old Jul 18th, 2016, 06:25 AM

I would say the south of Europe, like Spain, South Italy, Greece....
In the north of Europe you can find snow, so it can be that they cancel some flight, or having a delay, as you are travelling with a baby I would not take this risk!!
Old Jul 18th, 2016, 01:21 PM

For the countryside, Tuscany should be pretty good at that time(unless it rains heavily), I went in the mid-end of december, the weather was gorgeous, it was green, beautiful and a little misty.
Do have a look at my TR: https://ashwinbahulkar.wordpress.com...rence-tuscany/
This year,I'm thinking of going to Andalucia in the winter, since that's the only time I can travel.