Vienna and Prague

Search

Vienna and Prague

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2016, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vienna and Prague

We have 5 days to spend in Vienna and Prague. I was originally going to spend the whole time in Vienna but since we are continuing on to the Netherlands afterward, we are thinking of going to Prague on the way. Do you think we should spend 4 nights in Vienna, knowing that we will take a 1 day trip to Salzburg, and then 1 full day and overnight in Prague. Or should we do 3 Vienna, 2 in Prague? And how should travel from Vienna to Prague? I'm assuming train. Is it easy to figure out and navigate? Or is there a one way day tour to Prague from Vienna and then we can just stay in Prague. Thank you for any advice.
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 02:28 PM

Prague is beautiful - charming, one of my favorite cities in Europe. It's also very touristy and crowded these days, at least close to the tourist season. (Good luck walking across the Charles Bridge and into the old town any time after 10AM - wall to wall people.) I'd think a day trip would not be enough. On the contrary, Prague was one of those places where I could talk myself into an extra day for no real reason. The highlight for me is the experience more than any attractions in Prague. It's a great compact walking town.

Yes, it's very easy to get from Vienna to Prague by train. I haven't taken the train in some years now, but there should be several direct trains a day. The trick in Vienna is making sure you get to the right train station, to depart for Prague, as there are several stations in Vienna.
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 05:43 PM
kja

It really depends on your interests! I wanted 5 days in EACH city (Vienna and Prague). You might want to think through your priorities in advance.

Personally, I would take the train. JMO.

Enjoy!
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 06:13 PM

We took the train from Vienna to Prague a couple years ago. It is a four hour train ride. From the train station in Prague you will take the metro to your accommodations. So, a good 3/4 of the day is taken up in relocating. We did love Prague and I wouldn't visit for less than two nights. Even that is rushed.
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 07:22 PM

Vienna-Prague now takes 3h59, and a smart modern Railjet train with free wifi leaves every couple of hours.

Fares from just €19 in economy, €29 in first class, or €44 in Business class (= premium first class, 8-seat saloon) booked with Czech Railways at www.cd.cz/eshop or Austrian Railways www.oebb.at - check both sites, one can be cheaper than the other for the same train.

www.cd.cz/eshop will do trains Prague-Berlin and Berlin-Amsterdam. Matter of fact, I'm hopping on a train from the Netherlands to Berlin to Prague myself today, in about 2 hours time!
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 08:37 PM

Took the train from Vienna to Prague 2years ago.

I second what Andrew said.

I woke up at 5 AM one morning and was at the Charles Bridge at 5:30 AM....I was the only one there, so was taking some pictures...5:59 the first person appeared!

I will not tell you what to see in Prague because no matter where you walk you can't go wrong.
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 04:06 AM

<i>Vienna and Prague
Posted by: jrisavy on Jul 5, 16 at 6:01pm
And how should travel from Vienna to Prague? I'm assuming train. </i>

To bring you up to speed on trains see http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap17/rail.htm for an illustrated introduction. Prague has more of the "old Europe" ambience. It hasn't had time to become fully westernized.
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 05:36 AM

<I will not tell you what to see in Prague because no matter where you walk you can't go wrong.>

Agree! Beautiful city.
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 09:58 AM

I'd go Vienna and Prague, as I don't like Salzburg too much (but love Innsbruck).

We went to Prague by car from Vienna, we had to borrow a car in Vienna because we couldn't take the car we had rented in Switzerland to the Czech Republic. The road was fine but if I did it again and there are good trains I'd take the train.
Old Jul 18th, 2016, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses! And thank you Andrew, yes, I did lose my way back to my post!!