Reload this Page >

jameson distillery tour

Search

jameson distillery tour

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 05:40 AM
kathy

jameson distillery tour

Has anyone taken the Jameson tours - either Dublin or Midleton? which is better...more interesting?<BR> Also, anyone have any suggestions for a brewery tour?

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 09:03 AM
SharonG

I took the one in Middleton and it was lots of fun. The best part was the pub at the end where you get to have a glass of whiskey. I ended up being chosen to be a &quot;wiskey taster&quot;. After drinking 4 types of Irish whiskey, comparing it with a glass of bourbon and a glass of scotch (granted they were all very little glasses) and then being rewarded for picking my favorite by getting a bigger glass of whiskey, I was feeling no pain. They even gave me an official Irish Whiskey taster certificate.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 09:19 AM
mauld

I took the one in Dublin a couple of years ago, and found it pretty interesting. I'm not a big whiskey drinker, but did enjoy the tour and the tastings afterward. Being able to sample many different kinds was a great experience. And I now order Powers whiskey (one of their brands) when I feel lke something a bit stronger than my usual white wine.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 12:32 PM
jill

Hi,<BR>I have been on both- Dublin when I was visiting from Cork(where I live), and Midleton when I was trying to entertain visitors. I found the Midleton tour more interesting and there seemed to be more to see. I can't remember what distinguished the two places - either Midleton was still distilling and Dublin wasn't, or Midleton was set up earlier..<BR>If you're going to be in Dublin and Cork, you should try the Guinness one in Dublin- good fun- and the Jameson one in Midleton. Then, if you're a real fan, you could go up to Northern Ireland and do the Bushmills tour, and stay in their beautiful Inn.<BR>Have fun!

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 12:54 PM
mikeQ

The Jameson tour, although interesting is not a real distillery. They use mock ups to visually show how the process is achieved. Great whiskey and products are available for sale. If your a whiskey fan try a bottle of Middleton. $100.00 a bottle in the states. Airport price $60.00.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:25 PM
David D.

Kathy,<BR><BR>The Midleton tour, located in County Cork, is worth a look, but by no means a special trip. <BR><BR>Should you be in south Cork, take time to visit the nearby Fota House, an 18th century hunting lodge that features an impressive arboretum. Next to Fota House is a wildlife park, well worth a peek, especialy if you have young ones with you.<BR><BR>Not far from Fota is the famous port town of Cobh. The town is steeped in history, with connections to the Titanic and Lusitania. The town has a first-rate museum, The Queenstown Story, and this, unlike Midleton, is worth a special trip, particularly if you're interested in Irish history.<BR><BR>Perhaps the best distillery tour in Ireland is Bushmills, located in County Antrim. Bushmills is also close to the glories of the Antrim Coast, including the Giant's Causeway, and this is a very special part of Ireland.<BR><BR>Best of luck. <BR>

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 01:02 AM
Siobhan

I live near the Jameson Distillery Tour and it is interesting but they do not produce whiskey there as previously stated. Saying this you could go to the top of the Chimney tower with a view of Dublin afterwards. Its located on the other side of the Distillery beside Chif O'Neill's Hotel. <BR><BR>As well you could walk up to the Guinness Hopstore for their tour afterwards. I think the Guinness one is far more interesting and Fun. At the end you can have a free pint in the bar at the top of the building with a beautiful view of Dublin. It is a circular room and glass all around. It's my favourite view of the city.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:39 AM
Joe

kathy: Have done both Dublin and Midleton. Midleton is better, but for a real experience, visit the Bushmill Distillery near the Giant Causeway in Northern Ireland. It dates from 1608 and is the oldest operating distillery in the world. The setting is beautiful. The buildings are as well. The tour is first rate and a &quot;good&quot; tasting at the original 1608 bar is provided. The area is great with so much to see and do, the Causeway, the Antrim Coast, Belfast (not far), the castle at Carrickfergus on the way back to Dublin and much more. This is a great area and Bushmill's was one of the highlights.