Search

Dublin - too much?1 day tour Kilkenny & Glendalough

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 12:33 PM
tmt
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dublin - too much?1 day tour Kilkenny & Glendalough

I will be spending the weekend in Dublin in July with 8 family members. I will have one day extra day for me and my 84 year old Irish born mom to do something else.

I was thinking of a one day tour out of Dublin. Paddywagon Tours (yes, of the backpacking group) has a one day tour to Glendalough and on to Kilkenny. This sounds great getting in both sites, since we wont' be doing any picnicing in Glendalough and shopping isn't of much importance for us in Kilkenny.

However, is it too much for one day? Otherwise, we'll only be able to do one of them and if its Kilkenny, I'll have to take the train since the only bus tour is not on a Monday - which will be our free day.

Is Glendalough enough for a day trip - when picnicing and hikes with an 84 year old won't last too long?

Thank you.

T.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 02:11 AM

I think its too much driving in one day for an 84 year old lay. My mum is 67 and would be shattered. You could get another tour that does Powers court and Glendolough and that would be lovely for a day.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 02:14 AM

What about just getting the train to Howth and bringing her out for a nice lunch with a sea view.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 04:17 PM

I agree that a tour of Glendalough and Powerscourt would be nicer. The one I looked up at bus eireann seems nice and was offered everyday. Glendalough and Powerscourt both have nice visitor centers where you could relax and have a snack/drink. Both of these sights you could forgo the planned guided tour and go at your own pace.

Maybe pick a sight in Dublin that your mom would like to see that you didn't get to on the other days and plan a special lunch or dinner together. Might be a better use of some time to share together.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 04:24 AM
tmt
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Glendalough and PowersCourt it is. Howth sounds nice because she was there back in the WWII days, but we will have spent some time at the Sligo sea. I'll keep it in mind.

Chip's idea about picking another Dublin site has been in the back of my mind - but I wanted another plan in the event that she wanted to get out of Dublin after the busy weekend. I'm thinking of not booking anything ahead of time and waiting until we are in Dublin to see how she feels like doing since it will be the end of the trip. I realize that some tours might be booked, but feel comfortable going places without a tour group as well.

Even at 84, my mom is a mover and shaker, still babysitting my sister's kids; although her days of playing basketball with them has been over for the last few years. It must be that pure Irish bloodline !

Thanks for all your great ideas.

T.