Notices

Itinerary in Ireland

Old Feb 20th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary in Ireland

I would so appreciate any input on this itinerary.

We are flying in the day before so we will have a full day to see Dublin.

Day 1 Tour Dublin
Day 2 Drive to Kildare to Nat'l Stud Farm & Japanese Gardens. Drive to Kilkenny to view medieval city. Overnight in Kilkenny.
Day 3 Drive to Cashel, Blarney Castle, Cobh, Cork, and to Killarney. Overnight Killarney.
Day 4 Ring of Kerry and Muckross Gardens. Overnight Killarney
Day 5 Visit Dingle peninsula. Overnight Killaney
Day 6 Ferry across River Shannon to Visit Cliffs of Moher. Overnight Galway.
Day 7 Ferry to Inis More (Aran Island). Overnight Bunratty.
Day 8 Drive to airport in Shannon for flight home.

Is the drive on Day 3 doable? I also have heard Kenmare is a nice city to visit. Should we overnight there?

We would like to stay in B&B's and a castle for one night.

This is my first time planning an independent travel trip. Is it doable? Too much in a short time? We should have lots of daylight hours so we can tour fairly late each day. I would truly like feedback on where we are lodging each night. Are we staying in the best location for activites that day and the following? We need to book a flight soon but I am hesitant to do so until the itinerary is worked out. Any recommendations would be so helpful and appreciated.

Nancy
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 09:17 PM

Dear Travelbug,

This is a very aggressive itinerary but possible. That said, I would consider staying in Dingle or Tralee overnight on Day 5 instead of going back to Killarney. I think you would be closer to the ferry for day 6. Dingle is wonderful and it would be a shame to miss the wonderful tradition music and pubs. Other than the rose garden in Tralee, not much going on there.

Irish847
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your quick response. I really like your suggestion about staying on Dingle. Great idea!!!

I am a little worried about the miles covered on Day 3. Staying in Kenmare would cut the drive time a little. Which is the nicer town to stay in?

If you think its too aggressive, would adding an extra day help? Where would I put the extra day in the itinerary and what would we do that day?

Thanks again!
Nancy
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 09:06 AM

On day 7 are you planning to do the ferry to Inis Mor from Doolin? You mention staying in Galway the night before. That makes me wonder whether you're planning to take the bus from Galway to the ferry in Rossaveal. If so, you wouldn't get back to Galway until, I think, 6:00 or so. Which would mean that driving to Bunratty that evening would make for a very long day! You might want to consider staying in or near Doolin rather than driving to Galway for night 6.

Personally, I think your whole itinerary is a bit, as Irish847 put it, agressive. But, other than my above suggestion, I'm not experienced enough to tell you how to cut it back a bit. All I can really say is that Ireland is not a country to rush through. You want to be able to kick back, enjoy the music and savor the experience of being there!

You mention long daylight hours, but, unless I've missed it, you don't say exactly when you're going. I agree that long daylight hours gives you more time to tour. But, still, it's best not to spend all your time there in the car!

Good luck and have fun!
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Day 1 begins on June 15th and our visit concludes on June 23rd.

We were planning on taking the ferry from Rossaveel. We thought we could drive to the ferry but maybe this is not possible.

Will we miss out on a special city if we don't go to Galway?

Thanks for taking the time to examine our itinerary.

Nancy
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 04:58 PM

Hi Travelbug,
I think it would be good to slow down a bit and see less. If you do that, I think you'll see more of Ireland. You'll want time to go to pubs and visit with people, hear music and enjoy the place. You'll also want to spend less time driving.

Day 3 - Can you cut one or two of the sites? I think you'll run out of time that day. I think Cashel and Kenmare would be plenty. That gives you time to pull over and see the views and maybe a stone circle or two. I'd stay in Kenmare as it would make a lot of sense and it's very nice.

Day 4 - looks perfect! We enjoyed stopping at Derrynane and walking across the tide flats to abbey island. You could stay in Kenmare easily or move onto Killarny.

I think it may be a bit much to visit Inis More and stay in Bunratty. You could visit from Dingle, as Caph suggests or go to Galway or simply spend the time in County Clare. I wonder if the ferry times would work out for you to overnight on Inis Mor? I've always thought that sounded like a fun experience. Then you can spend Day 7 back in Doolin, visiting the Burren and Bunratty. There's lots to do in County Clare.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 04:59 PM

There is ample parking at Rossaveal, so driving there is not a problem.

We were there, last June, around the same dates. We spent two nights at Carraroe, only a few miles from the ferry port. Our plan was to go to Aran Mor on day 1 and tour Connemarra on day 2. There were Gale Force 7 and 8 winds that day, so we reversed the order, and STILL made it -- BUT, we had the luxury of two days to chose from ...

The ferry from Doolin is MUCH more likely to be weather dependant than the one from Galway.

Another option might be to fly, from Inverrin, for only a few Euro more than the ferry.

Here's a like to more info:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...y-terminal.cfm

(Hope this works in the new format)

Bob
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 05:01 PM

On day 3 if you stayed in Kenmare instead of Killarney you would have more time for the day's travel, then you could do the ROK clockwise (some say the preferred direction for diving the ROK) beginning from Kenmare, which is a wonderful Irish town, ending up in Killarney for night of day 4. I personally would skip Galway and stay in Doolin and enjoy the traditional music in the evening and take the ferry from an area near there. If you can take an extra day I would consider adding an overnight stay in Kinsale on day 3 then going to the ROK or adding an additional night in Killarney.

Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

I thank all of you for your wonderful suggestions! I think we should definitely stay on Dingle and omit Galway from the itinerary. I also think Kenmare would be an excellent overnight as it is close to Ring of Kerry. I am going to do a little research on Doolin and Kinsale as I am not familiar with these cities. I am sure I will then be back online with lots more questions. I do think the itinerary is beginning to look more doable, and I owe it all to you wonderful people who have responded and helped me out.

Thanks a million!
Nancy
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 05:34 PM

If it helps your planning, Bunratty is just a place to sleep at night before getting your flight home in am. Restaurants are not good and nothing to see except the historical village which takes about 2 hours and not open after 6:30 pm I think. Nice to see if you have the time but not necessary. I have been to Ireland 4 times and have never gone to the banquet at Bunratty because its a tourist trap with bad food and very expensive. But I have gone to the village once and enjoyed it.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 11:08 PM

I agree w/ irish847 - Bunratty has a nice folk park but it may not be a place you'd want to spend the evening.

In Clare we loved the Burren. It's worth taking the time to wander around and walk out on the Burren. Very cool. We also enjoyed Craggaunowen Centre. Among other things there's a replica of the Brendan, the small boat that sailed across the Atlantic. I don't know why, but I do think about that voyage a lot!

We've stayed at a hotel near Shannon a couple of times, and eaten dinner there 3 times: Carrygarry House. Loved it. It's a country house w/ restaurant and pub. Great food and elegant hotel just a few miles from the Airport. For us it's a splurge but we find it worthwhile.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 06:30 AM

Having actually attended the Bunratty banquet (although it was many years ago), I don't really agree with Irish847's assessment of it. Yes, it's expensive. But it's also a lot of fun. (Even my young Irish SIL, when dragged to it a couple of years ago, enjoyed it!) Which is not to say I'm encouraging you to go. I just don't think it should be so summarily dismissed.

You've gotten some very good suggestions for that last night. Another alternative would be Ennis. It's a popular last night choice as it's close to the airport and offers lots of restaurants and pubs with music.

As much as my daughter and I enjoyed the night we spent on Inis Mor two years ago, I'm inclined to think that saving Galway and the Arans for another trip might be a good idea. As Rose said, if you cut a little bit, you're actually going to wind up enjoying it more.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 06:32 AM

Oops, forgot to add that the food at the Bunratty banquet was actually quite good. I still think longingly of the dessert we were served and that was 27 years ago!