8 Day Trip To Ireland - Itinerary

Jan 27th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

8 Day Trip To Ireland - Itinerary

My husband and I are planning our first trip to Ireland for our anniversary this August. We don't have tons of time unfortunately, but we want to experience a little of everything. What do you think about this itinerary? Is it rushed and are we leaving enough time realistically for what we plan to do?

Itinerary For Ireland
August 6, 2010 - August 15, 2010

1. August 6, 2010 - Leave US
2. August 7, 2010

A. AM
a. Land in Shannon (Approximately 6am)
b. Pick Up Rental Car
c. Check into Bunratty Castle Hotel

B. PM
a. Visit Bunratty Castle
b. Shop, Tour Area

3. August 8, 2010

A. AM
a. Visit Cliffs of Moher
b. Visit Aran Islands
c. Shop, Tour Area

B. PM
a. Take Shannon Dolphin Cruise
b. Shop, Tour Area

4. August 9, 2010

A. Check Out of Bunratty Castle Hotel
B. Drive To Galway
C. Check Into The Amber House Hotel
D. Shop, Tour Area
E. Visit Richardson's Pub

5. August 10, 2010

A. AM
a. Fishing
b. Shop, Tour Area

B. PM
a. Brannagen's Restaurant
b. Take Galway Bay Experience Tour

6. August 11, 2010

A. Check Out of The Amber House Hotel
B. Return Car to Galway Airport
C. Take Railway To Dublin
D. Check Into Cassisdys Hotel
E. Shop, Tour Area

7. August 12, 2010

A. Visit Kilmainham Gaol
B. Visit Bru Na Boinne
C. Shop, Tour Area
D. Visit Temple Bar

8. August 13, 2010

A. Visit Drimnagh Castle
B. Visit Number 29 Home
C. Visit Grafton Street for Shopping
D. Wrenn's Steak and Chop House

9. August 14, 2010

A. Check Out of Cassidys Hotel
B. Take Taxi to Dublin Airport

10. August 15, 2010
A. Return to US
Jan 27th, 2010, 02:42 PM

I only have 6 days in Ireland but as everyone told me you are missing some of the best parts if you don't get to spend sometime seeing Kilkenny, Cork and either the Ring or Dingle Pennisula. I have revamped our itineary at least 15 times but you might not want to miss Dingle, Rock of Cashe, Killarney National Park etc. Stay on the Forum and check in frequently. They are all great people with many wonderful suggestions. Enjoy. I am going at the end of March so will write back then when I have experienced whether or not our itinerary actually worked or not.
Jan 27th, 2010, 03:21 PM

I have never been to Ireland, but have planned my itinerary for our trip this May. I have read alot of the threads here, and I have to agree with jk1348. There is alot of talk about how beautiful the southwest part is. For that reason, we are spending 6 out of 10 days in Dingle and Kenmare. If I were you, I might consider going to Dingle and spending a few nights there after a night in the Bunratty castle. Also, I have read that the Aran Islands requires almost a whole day. I am not sure if you will have much time to do anything else that day. Good luck planning your trip!
Jan 27th, 2010, 04:21 PM

While the ROK and Dingle are lovely, so are County Clare and Galway (Connemara). I would not change your itinerary much; you have realized that you can't see it all and seem to have a plan that lets you see things at a reasonable pace.

The only thing I might change is the trip to the Aran Islands. You have them down while staying at Bunratty, so I assume that you are planning to go from Doolin. The trip from Doolin is weather dependent and a lot longer than from Rosseveal near Galway. there are more ferry trips per day and they are not weather dependent from Galway, so I would plan to do one less day in Bunratty and add it to Galway. Visit the Cliffs of Moher and check out the Burren on the day you drive from Bunratty to Galway.

Everyone has favorites in Ireland and just keep in mind that you can't see it all this trip. I think your trip is well planned. I love Conemarra and feel that it is every bit as worthwhile and beautiful as the southwest. Save that area for another trip. Don't let anyone tell you that if you haven't seen such and such, you have missed the best part. Every part is the best part!

Have a great trip!
Jan 27th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the input. I really don't want to try to squeeze much more into this trip than I already have. It is really difficult for me to pick and choose from all the wonderful places in Ireland, and for right now, I think I am going to by pass most of Southern Ireland in favor of the Western coast (and Dublin). On our next trip (and I'm sure we'll be back!) I am sure I will try to include County Kerry and Cork.

Irishface: Thanks for the tip about the Cliffs of Moher and Aran Islands. I was wondering which way would be best to access them. I have a mild (haha - ok HUGE) fear of heights, so I was going to take the ferry out of Doolin to see both the islands and the cliffs at the same time from below. The ferry company (Doolin2Aran Ferries) also offers angling, which my husband is interested in. Are there similar ferries in Rosseveal? I have also heard a lot about Connemarra and the Roundstone Summerfest will be going on while we are in Ireland so it might just be squeezed in the intinerary somewhere!!
Jan 28th, 2010, 11:52 AM

I agree with what Irishface said about the Aran Islands - we took the Doolin ferry at 9am, and got back at 5pm, so it took the whole day. I am envious of your Connemara trip - I've not been there yet, and will be in 2011, when we go for a June trip.

I've been to this area before, so if you hit some of my trip reports, you will find lots of information. Good luck!
Jan 28th, 2010, 08:04 PM

Hi -- it sounds like you have a very thought out plan for your six days! Good for yOu!! Great job as well.

I agree on the Cliffs/Aran Island -- it's an all day venture -I would say I loved the cliffs from up top and seeing the Burren- (while you're there all the gazillion of wild flowers will be in bloom. I agree you'll be back...i went in Feb - and am planning an August of this year return -- it's wonderful -- no matter what part you visit! FYI - there is a hop on/hop off bus that goes around dublin - it's a 24=hour fee - i think the busses stop running about 5-6 pm -- so if you get one at 12 or 1 one day - you can utilize for part of the afternoon and all the next day - we saw a TON of dublin stuff this way -- and didn't have to drive there!
good luck!
Jan 28th, 2010, 08:36 PM

Thirding the change for Aran Islands. While Bunratty area is nice, it isn't very large. You can probably see all there is to see on the first day. I'd head up to Galway on the next day, stopping by the Cliffs on the way and visit the Aran Islands from Rossaveal. (Don't fear the heights at the Cliffs, as you really don't get all that close to the edge without really trying and becoming a trespasser.)

The Connemara region is lovely. We spent several days in Clifden (near Roundstone) and had some really great experiences.

One other thing that might be troublesome is August 12th/Day 7. With it being August and part of the busy season, you can expect crowds and possibly sold-out tour times at Bru na Boinne. Visits there are first come, first served; arrive too late and you may not get a tour time. And even if you get there early, your tour may not be for a few hours after arrival. It all depends. If it's a must see for you, consider putting it as the first thing you do that day. It may be possible to return to Dublin in time to visit Kilmainham later in the day.

Also, you note that you are leaving Dublin on the 14th, but returning to the US on the 15th? Most return flights leave and arrive on the same day - or is yours leaving quite late, giving you some extra tour time in Dublin that day?