south of france, Brive info wanted

Jan 26th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Original Poster

south of france, Brive info wanted

im visiting south of france in june 2010, doing a 2 week driving trip from antibes to brive.
Several questions for advice from fellow travellers come to mind:- can any one recommend a 2 or 3 star hotel in Brive?
I believe we can leave the car in Brive at the hire depot?
Catching the train from Brive to Paris, is it a TGV, or the Corail Service? i have seen conflicting information on some sites?what is the earliest date to buy tickets? is it 60 or 90 days from travel? is a PREM ticket available on this service? is it better to buy before we arrive in france?
Jan 27th, 2010, 02:56 PM

You didn't ask but you can fly from Brive to Paris for about 68 euro in June www.airlinair.com
Jan 28th, 2010, 07:06 AM

There are a number of car rental agencies in Brive, and so you can pick up and leave cars there. Normally there is no extra charge to leave a car that you have picked up somewhere else.

The train is NOT a TGV. It goes to Gare d'Austerlitz, takes 4 hours.

Not sure about hotels - I live here and while we shop in Brive, have doctors' appointments there, etc., we don't stay in hotels.

Not sure about flying. There is a new airport opening south of Brive - they promise it will be available in the summer, but since we've been waiting for several years, I won't believe it till I see it. The existing airport may continue to be open, but I couldn't get the site above to respond.
Jan 28th, 2010, 07:29 AM

Well, I just plugged in a couple of random dates in March and April from Brive to Paris, and even directly to Roissy, and found TGV PREM fares for 29-44 euro, so I think there are TGVs, though the 4- to 5-hour timeframe seems slow for a TGV. Play around with the www.voyages-sncf.com site, using dates that are no more than 3 months from today, and see what you find. That will give you an idea of what will be available for your trip later in the year.
Jan 28th, 2010, 09:23 PM

I'm not sure why this matters, but once again, there is no TGV to Brive - the high speed track doesn't exist.

I went on to the SNCF site, and in the TGV section when you enter that you want to go to Brive from Paris, it gives you the normal Corail train. Normally 4 hours.

Yes you can buy PREM. Or you can wait until you get to France and go into any station to buy your ticket.

When in Brive, try Chez Francis, a very good, interesting, rather funky restaurant.http://www.chezfrancis.fr/