Help finishing Ireland itinerary

Apr 4th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Help finishing Ireland itinerary

Flying in and out of Shannon. 1-drive to Kenmare, stay in Kenmare. 2-Ring of Kerry drive, stay in Portmagee. 3-Skellig Michael trip and drive to Dingle, stay in Dingle. 4-Stay in Dingle. 5-Stay in Dingle. 6-???. 7-???. 8-Fly out of Shannon mid-morning. Would love to figure out a way to see Cliffs of Moher and Inishmore. Any ideas? Thank you for your help!
Apr 4th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Jane196

I'm doing that trip in September. After 3 nights in Dingle, I am driving to Lahinch where I will stay 2 nights. The Cliffs of Moher, Doolin and The Burrens are reasonably close. You can also get a boat to The Aran Islands from Doolin. Have fun,Jane

Apr 4th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jane196!
Apr 4th, 2007, 11:56 AM

On day six, you might consider driving to Doolin and taking the Ferry to Inis Mor, overnighting on Inis Mor, and then spend your last night in Bunratty or Ennis. If you take the Killimer/Tarbert ferry between Dingle and Co. Clare and then take the coastal route, you will be able to see the Cliffs enroute to Doolin. You could also do the cliffs on the way to either Bunratty or Ennis from Dooin, giving you more time for the cliffs.

I will say that the drive to Kenmare on a first day is very brave, indeed, as a three hour or better drive can be a long haul with jet lag. However, if you break it up with a lot of stops, some scenic walks and a LITE lunch, you should be okay.

Slan Agus Beannacht,

Bit
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much CowboyCraic. That information helps me very much. I had hoped to makes stops on the way to Kenmare and try to arrive leisurely knowing we'll be lagged for sure. Thanks again!
Apr 4th, 2007, 01:27 PM

There are later boats out to the Aran's from Doolin in the afternnon that require an overnight stay which in my mind is preferable. Something to keep in mind is that, if the weather is bad, especially windy, the boats won't go. I didn't catch what time of year you are traveling which could also cut the number of trips available from Doolin.

Bill
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

I'll be going the second week of May. Is the weather usually bad for this ferry then?
Apr 5th, 2007, 02:11 PM

I'm new to this forum, but have made several trips to Ireland.Kenmare is one of my favorite towns, but a long drive after overnight flight. You could stay in the Shannon area your first night and be more relaxed on the drive south.
Get a few hours sleep, drive to the cliffs, then back to your b+b. Inishmore could be a problem.