Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Comments on Itinerary? First Trip to Ireland

Apr 11th, 2003, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Hello. 6 of us in our early 30s are ready to start booking our trip with the following itinerary. Would LOVE any feedback/suggestions! Also any favorite B&Bs or hotels, pubs and favorite top 2 sites, would be great to hear! Thanks for taking the time to read!

Day 1 : arrive from States and enjoy Dublin
Day 2: enjoy Dublin, sleep Dublin
Day 3: tours to Newgrange, Tara, etc., sleep Dulbin
Day 4: pick up car early, drive to Wicklow, visit gardents, go to Kilkenny, sleep Kilkenny
Day 5: either go to Waterford for day or enjoy Kilkenny during day, sleep Kilkenny
Day 6: drive to Kinsale, sleep Kinsale
Day 7: those that want to do Blarney Castle will do, others enjoy Kinsale, sleep Kinsale
Day 8: drive to Dingle, do Dingle Ring drive, sleep Dingle
Day 9: enjoy Dingle, sleep Dingle
Day 10: not sure exactly here: 1) either stay Dingle again, 2) or drive to and sleep Galway, or 3) sleep near Shannon airport - thoughts anyone?
Day 11: Leave from Shannon
Apr 11th, 2003, 11:52 AM

My comments:
1. Don't miss Glendalough in the Wicklow Mountains.

2. If the weather is nice, there are cruises from Dingle that last an hour or two (Not the "Dolphin Tours", which don't leave Dingle Harbour).

3. Galway seems out of your way if all your going to do there is spend the night. Spend your time in Clare and the Burren instead and sleep closer to Shannon.
Apr 11th, 2003, 12:37 PM

Hi brooke:

The itinerary looks pretty good at a glance, and I will look closer in a bit. I strongly suggest you stay closer to Shannon on your last night. Depending on when your flight leaves, you could stay in Galway. Dingle is a pretty long drive and if you went to Co. Clare you could visit the Cliffs of Moher.

Bill

Apr 11th, 2003, 12:51 PM
jor

Your itinerary sounds fine.
But do not plan on sticking to it. A vacation like this is a once in a life time thing. An itinerary is meant to be broken in order to have fun.
Apr 11th, 2003, 01:41 PM

Brooke -

We drove from Doolin to Galway (Doolin is maybe an hour North of Dingle), and it seemed like quite a long drive at the time. In other words, that day of driving won't afford a lot of time to enjoy the place you're leaving or going to.

For a gorgeous stay that's less than an hour from Shannon, you might look at Adare Manor. We absolutely loved it. Not cheap, but very much worth it. If you use this as your last stay before flying home, your last night's stay will be much more memorable than staying at a shabby airport hotel.

Slainte!
Apr 11th, 2003, 02:12 PM

What a good time you're going to have! In your early 30s and going to Ireland with five friends...sounds like heaven!
On Day #10, I think I'd spend it in County Clare, not too far from Shannon. You could stay in Ennis if you'd like an active place with lots of pubs and restaurants, or one of the small villages along the coast if you'd prefer something quieter.
Apr 11th, 2003, 02:20 PM
Ardfert

Killarney National Park is on the way from Blarney to Dingle.It is also Ireland`s most popular tourist centre outside Dublin and is visited by more than 1 in every 1000 Americans in any year.Consider driving Killarney-Ring of Kerry-Dingle.Skip Galway.

Apr 11th, 2003, 08:30 PM

Sounds like a very workable plan to me too.

Where you had multiple options listed -

On day 5, I'd stick with Kilkenny. You probably won't get there until later the day before in order to see much. Kilkenny is more interesting than Waterford in my book as more of the past has been preserved.

Day 10, I'm with the majority. Don't go all the way to Galway. The Burren area in Clare is interesting and of course there's the cliffs. Maybe finish off the last of the Dingle Ring on the way elsewhere (no need to drive the entire ring in one day! catch part on the way in and the rest as your route out). Head up to cliffs, Doolin for lunch either before or after, wind around the burren for a bit by car or foot, then stay in Ennis and catch a pub. It's not a bad distance back to Shannon.

Sounds like a fun trip.
Apr 12th, 2003, 01:08 AM

Day-10: take the Tarbert-Killimer ferry across to County Clare; do the Cliffs of Moher and then continue to Doolin for lunch at O'Connor's. After lunch, visit the Burren & Corofin (maybe Lisdoonvarna & Ennistymon) & continue all the way to Ennis. Spend your last night in Ennis: Cruise's Restaurant & Pub has 'Trad' Irish music every night. It's adjacent to the Queen's Hotel; but I would stay at the Temple Gate (John Madden might make you a 'deal' for a party of 6) - it's a short walk down Abbey Street to Cruise's.

From the Temple Gate parking lot, it's about 30-minutes drive to Shannon airport.
Apr 12th, 2003, 01:22 AM

I'd agree with skipping Galway, and as a practical matter you do want to be near Shannon on the last night (cause if you're far away, you never know when a flock of sheep is going to fill the road.)

I also might skip Dingle. It's lovely but so is the rest of Ireland and I felt a little trapped in the Dingle drive. Nevertheless, you should definitely see the west coast. There are some amazing cliffs (the cliffs of Moher) in Co. Clare that are worth going to. I also recommend the NW part of Co. Mayo - partly because that's where my family is from, but also because it gave me the best feeling of what being in Ireland 200 -- or 2000 years ago was like, with the acres of bogs and constant wet Atlantic wind.

You will also probably be surprised at what a small country Ireland is and how quickly you get from one town to the next. Be open to changes and to going on further than you planned some days. But also leave yourself time to tramp around the countryside sometimes.

Also, if you're staying in B&B's, with 5 people, I would try to secure lodgings a little earlier than you might with 1 or 2 and/or be willing to split up. The B&Bs are often small and do fill up. Everyone's lovely of course and will recommend some other places to try, but I remember one evening when I worked my way through 3 small towns before I found myself a spot.
Apr 12th, 2003, 01:38 AM

Hey, busterla: That's where my mother came from, too! Last September I found a first cousin of my Mother's, 103 years young. She's got a grip like a farm girl (which she is). May 20th I'll be in Belmullet, back to Ballina for the weekend (maybe Salmon fishing on the Moy). Sunday, I'll do a daytrip to Knock Shrine. Do you know those places? How about Bangor Erris?
[email protected]
Apr 13th, 2003, 07:31 AM

brooke,

Your itinerary sounds most appealing, and you're to be commended. Allow me to offer a couple observations:

Rather than spending the better part of a day in Wicklow, allow me to recommend that you stay for at least an overnight, perhaps in Laragh. This is an ideal base to visit the must-see sites of Glendalough (best enjoyed early or late in the day due to crowds) and Powerscourt. You'll also enjoy touring the countryside in this region, and there are numerous other regional attractions worthy of your consideration.

Kilkenny City is Ireland's best preserved medieval city, and it's an enjoyable place to explore. More noteworthy, however, is the surrounding countryside, featuring a good many attractive, quiet villages and fascinating historic sites.

Two of Ireland's most popular tourist attractions are Waterford Crystal and Blarney Castle. They're both worth a look if you happen to be in the area, but neither are worthy of a special trip.

As an alternative to Blarney, consider heading west for the day from Kinsale to explore the marvelous West Cork countryside. This region is both strikingly attractive and relatively untouristy - a great combination.

Finally, do allow for at least two full days for Dingle. This region is one of the most justifiably popular parts of Ireland. A drive around Slea Head on a clear day will surely be one of your trip's highlights. Consider a half-day trip to the Great Blasket Island. Also, try to make a point of eating at Beginish, located in downtown Dingle, one of the Republic's most coinsistently excellent restaurants.

For a wide-range of tourist-tested lodging tips, check out the following website: http://users.net1plus.com/dillon/ireland.html

Best of luck.