Search

Itinerary Hep

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary Hep

Hi everyone,
We are going to Spain for 8 or 9 nights. We know the first 3 nights we will be in Barcelona, but then we aren't sure with the other 4 or 5 nights if we should do Valencia and then Rioja, or if we should do San Sebastian and Rioja. We are open to other suggestions as well, but don't want another big city (like Madrid). We are looking to explore vineyards and smaller/quaint towns after Barcelona and/or possibly a beach day or so. Any suggestions on specific towns/areas for those 4 or 5 nights? And, also, what would be the best way to get around during those days? Car? Train? I'm thinking a car since it will be hard to travel from small town to vineyard by train??? And, if our last stop was the Rioja area, are we closer to Madrid or Barcelona, in terms of getting somewhere to get our flight back to the states?
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 01:59 PM

You'll get responses if you re-post your question with Spain in the title. Experts for that area don't have any way to tell what region you're asking about.
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

But, aren't I in the Spain forum? I thought that was where I posted.
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 02:21 PM

There are several wine areas southwest of Barcelona and lovely beaches in the area. With 4 or 5 nights, I'd explore them rather than do all the travel necessary to, for instance, travel to San Sebastian and Rioja--though both are wonderful destinations, they merit more time.

The Penedes is where the sparking cava comes from and there are several wonderful wineries to see. Tarragona has some wines as does the Priorat region further west, but all less than 100 miles or so from Barcelona.

Sitges, about 45 min. by train from BCN, is a wonderful beach community. If you'd choose to go north, rather than south, you can also explore the Costa Brava and the terrific seaside resort of Cadaques of Salvador Dali fame--and countless others. From any of these places, it's just a short drive of a couple of hours at most back to BCN and your flight home.
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 02:57 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>But, aren't I in the Spain forum? I thought that was where I posted. </i>&quot;

There is no &quot;Spain&quot; forum. Just &quot;Europe&quot;. Clicking on a country lets folks search for some of the threads about that country. But to look at your title on the Forum thread list - no one would know it is about Spain until after they open it.

You will get some useful input from folks who do click on Spain - but most people just see the entire Europe list. So in future - it is best to put more detail in your titles.
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Okay, thanks so much. I did re-post.