First Trip to Europe/Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am starting to plan a trip to Spain with my family, which includes a 6 and 8 year old. We have traveled to many countries in Central America and throughout the Caribbean, but have never been to Europe, so I need some help. My children need water to swim in, either a pool or beach, so I believe that the coasts are going to be important. I was thinking of flying into Barcelona and traveling down the cost towards Gibraltar, but again, not knowing much about the country, I need suggestions. We are planning on going sometime in August 2010, and will be there for 7-8 nights. What would you recommend? Is travelling by train, especially at night in a sleeper and option, or are there inexpensive flights? We also love meeting people and learning about new cultures, and are really looking forward to the food. I speak a little bit of Spanish as well. Please, any recommendations would truly be appreciated.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 08:39 AM

I would stick to Northern Spain in August! Maybe 3 nights in Barcelona (including it's beach) and 4 nights (2+2) elsewhere in Northern Spain - preferably on the coast. Inland will be an oven.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 08:47 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
For inexpensive flights within Spain, check www.vueling.com.
Prices are more expensive as you get closer to the travel date.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 10:45 AM

The first step is to read on line some more about Spain. This forum or even the official tourist website http://www.spain.info/. are good starting points.
Once you have got an idea of where you think you want to go then post back with some sort of itinerary. But you have to let us know more about likes and dislikes, method of travel ( I know you have asked about trains and airlines but some places are just not accessible without a car), Port of entry, Type and cost of accommodation you are looking for.
Only then can anyone give you some decent pointers.
If you are here in August then you should pre-book any accommodation.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 12:33 PM

Here is a starting point. you cannot drive from Barcelona to Gibraltar in a week and expect to see much of anything.

For one week you should consider one area, max two and travel by train or air, not car.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 06:23 PM

I would not drive from Barcelona to Valencia, that doesn't sound like fun to me. There is a beach in Barcelona but it's man made. I would go to San Sebastian and Santander for the entire trip. If you're set on Barcelona I might go north to the Costa Brava for a bit better beaches. Yes, most of Spain will be like an oven in August.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 08:08 PM

agree with all of the above.