Itinerary Help: Madrid (with day trips) and Andalucia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hubby and I are planning 10 days in Spain in later September. Can you comment on our plan? This is our first trip to Spain so we are trying to see a lot without seeing too much. Do we need a car in Andalucia? Or, can we get around by train? Do I have enough time in Madrid? Thanks!

1. (Saturday) Land in Madrid (after night flight from NY) and drive to Segovia. See some sights and spend the night.

2. (Sunday) Finish visiting Segovia, drive to El Escorial (Visit - I believe 3 hours is OK?), and then drive to Madrid.

3. (Monday) Day trip from Madrid to Toledo

4. (Tuesday) In Madrid - Visit the Prado and Royal Palace

5. (Wednesday) In Madrid for most of the day - see Reina Sophia Art Center. Late afternoon train to Seville. Spend night in Seville.

6. (Thursday) Visit Seville.Pick up a car and drive to Cordoba for the night.

7. (Friday) Visit Cordoba and spend the night.

8. (Saturday) Early drive to visit the Alhambra. Drop off the car. Spend night in Granada.

9. (Sunday) Visit Granada. Late train to Madrid.

10. (Monday) Final Day in Madrid - Plaza Major and other sites.

(Tuesday fly home to NY)
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 07:30 AM

It is far too rushed for my own taste.

One important time saver: Fly home from Granada; there are good connections via Madrid, to JFK.
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 07:44 AM

Far too rushed for me as well. If it were me and it was my first time in Spain, I would spend those first 4 nights in Madrid. That would give you 3 full days to see Madrid at a more leisurely pace, and you could even take a day trip to one of the other sites you mention, such as Toledo, without having to continuously pack/unpack.

The two nights in Cordoba sound nice, I think that's about right. And then if you fly home from Granada, as ekscrunchy suggests, that would give you three nights there, which I think is about right as well. (Don't forget to visit the Arab baths in Granada, they are wonderful!)

As far as needing a car in Andalucia, I have easily gotten around by train in that area, visiting the cities you mention. Cordoba and Granada are a snap by train. I think most people who prefer a car for that area are the people who are going to visit it at a more leisurely pace, visiting the small towns and such that you can't access by train, which doesn't look to be the case for you on this trip.

Happy travels!
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 07:46 AM

I would find it easier to stay in Madrid and visit Segovia,
and Toledo on day trips ( 1/2 hour by train each).

Madrid is a big city with great night life.

Although, I am not big on Seville but it "deserves" 2 days.
Two nights in Cordoba is too long. Better spend more time in Seville or Granada.
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 07:51 AM

I agree with danon about Seville (although I AM big on Seville, I love it!). It is one of my favorite places in the world.

And I also agree, Madrid's night life is great, you would do well to make time to experience it.

However I disagree about Cordoba, I spent three nights there last year and had a wonderful time! It was a really fun place to be on a Saturday night, it felt like the whole town was out and about, and they were very friendly.

That said though, I wouldn't short change any of the other cities on your list to fit Seville in if you're really set on those places on this trip.
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 08:37 AM

LCPDFP:

I got bone-tired just reading your proposed itinerary.

You're shortchanging Madrid and Seville in an effort to cover so many cities. Take some of the advice of the seasoned posters and pare down your plans.
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 09:53 AM

Way, way too much. I would suggest you just stay in Madrid and do some day rips from there.

Actually I think Andalusia is the most fascinating part of Spain - but we have been twice - once for 10 days and once for 12 and still haven;t seen a lot we want to. You'll see next to nothing in the couple of days you have allowed. (I'm not a big fan of Madrid - went on vacation once for 3 days and that was plenty - have been back only for work - but I know some people love it.)
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 10:31 AM

I wouldn't bother with a car - it will be a major hassle in the cities and you can easily get between cities via public transportation.

I'd hate to spend only one night in Seville. I agree with LunaBella - Seville is wonderful. And the weather shouldn't be too hot in September.

With ten days, I'd recommend either concentrating on Madrid and the surrounding area or spending your time in Analusia (and maybe a couple of days in Madrid). Either way, you should have a wonderful time.

If you do go to the Alhambra, get a reservation for the 8:30 slot. It gets pretty crowded if you go later in the day.
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the thoughts everyone. I was worried that this was a very ambitious itinerary. I'll talk to my hub and then redraft a plan. So hard when you have so much on the list and so little time! Cheers.