Help with Spain Trip

Jan 2nd, 2011, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Help with Spain Trip

I am planning a trip to Spain for the end of March and will have 12 days including travel (flying) days. We would like to see Madrid, Cordoba, Granada, and Seville. What would be the best order in which to see these cities? Is it too much to do in 12 days? We will probably be traveling by bus and train, but are open to renting a car too. We love to visit architectural sights and look forward to seeing the palaces, churches, and especially the Alhambra. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Jan 2nd, 2011, 05:53 PM

I would probably choose to see Cordoba as a day trip from Seville or a day trip between Seville and Granada, just because the thought of staying in 4 different locations in 12 days sounds a bit much for me (though I've certainly done it). Consider flying into Seville (or fly into Madrid and take the train to Seville, depending on the flight options). You can take the train or bus from Seville to Granada and the train or flight from Granada to Madrid. Planning for 10 nights (one night lost to travel, depending on where you are traveling from), consider:

Day 1: travel
Day 2: arrival in Seville (have a half day or so in Seville)
Day 3-5: Seville
Day 6: early train to Cordoba, late train or bus to Granada (this is a short day in Cordoba)
Day 7: Granada
Day 8: train or flight to Madrid, partial day in Madrid
Day 9-11: Madrid
Day 12 fly home

I would possibly eliminate Cordoba from the itinerary, but I've not been there. Many have and consider it a lovely city worthy of more than a day trip.This also only gives you 1 or 1.5 days in Granada, but that should be sufficient if you are primarily interested in the Alhambra.
Jan 2nd, 2011, 05:57 PM

10 days in Spain is pretty tight to try to visit all these places. If you wanted to do all this I'd suggest 4 nights in Madrid (with 1-2 daytrips, Toledo and/or Segovia), 4 nights Sevilla (daytrip to Cordoba along the way from Madrid) and 2 nights Granada. This assumes you don't need to return to Madrid for your final night. This will give you a taste of these cities.
Jan 2nd, 2011, 06:16 PM

To save time, avoid backtracking to the originating point. So Granada-Sevilla-Madrid, or Sevilla-Granada-Madrid. But which direction? Play with the flight schedule. I am not sure where you are from. But if you are from the U.S. the planes tend to land in Spain the morning and also depart in the morning. In this case, it is much easier to travel to Granada/Sevilla on the arrival day and come home from Madrid. Cordoba is a trivial day trip from Sevilla so in this kind of a tight schedule, it makes sense to stay in Sevilla.

I would not book high expense non refundable items until I create several actual itineraries: compare prices, compare ease in executing the plan, and compare how they align with the attractions' opening days and hours.
Jan 2nd, 2011, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the good advice! I am going to take it and spend 4 nights in Madrid, 4 in Seville and 2 in Granada. I didn't realize that Cordoba is only an hour train ride from Seville so we can do that as a day trip. Now I just need to check flight schedules and see which works best.
Jan 2nd, 2011, 08:56 PM

We were there in May. Madrid; Toledo; Grenada; Seville. That's almost the order of importance for me. Museums in Madrid, forget the palace; Toledo is a gem; Grenada a must for the Alhambra which is all day and the Cathedral; Seville for flamenco. Trains are good from M to S. You will have a wonderful time.
Jan 4th, 2011, 03:29 PM

I am most likely going to use Belen at TotallySpain to book my hotels and intercity travel. Nothing finalized yet. But, she has been very responsive. You might want to check it out. She answers all questions in detail. Just hope pricewise we can do it. She may actually get better rates at some hotels than we could but I need to check this.
I would really recommend her to this point. totallyspain.com
If we use her I will post here and on trip advisor about the total experience so all will benefit from our knowledge and hopefully enjoyment.
Enjoy.
Evelyn