Itinerary help greece and turkey

Mar 15th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Itinerary help greece and turkey

Have flight in to Athens and out of Istanbul for 3 weeks mid July through early August for 2 adults and 2 kids 12 and 15. So far definitely want to spend some time on mainland- Olympia and Delphi. Also definitely want to go to Crete and hike Samaria gorge. Also interested in Santorini, Rhodes? and Mykonos. In Turkey want to see Ephesus and spend time in Istanbul. Any input would be apprecitated.
Mar 15th, 2007, 10:55 AM

That's a lot of ground to cover in 3 weeks. If you can afford to fly you'll save a lot of time in transit. If you were thinking about only using the ferry system you've got a logistical problem, especially if you want to include Rhodes. I suggest you save Rhodes for another trip. From the mainland fly or ferry to Chania on Crete so you can hike the gorge. Then go to Heraklion to see the Palace of Knossos and to catch a plane (Sky Express) or ferry to Santorini. From Santorini you can fly or ferry to Mykonos, and from Mykonos you can catch a ferry to Samos (or you can backtrack to Santorini and fly to Samos) where you can then take a Turkish ferry to Kusadasi and a bus to Ephesus. From nearby Selcuk you can then catch a bus to Izmir and fly or bus the rest of the way to Istanbul.
Mar 15th, 2007, 05:50 PM

I agree with Brotherleelove2004. That IS a lot of ground to cover in 3 weeks.
We visited Greece for the first time last July, and spent three weeks visiting many of the islands,( Crete, Santorini, Mykonos, Rhodes, and Athens) but felt we'd only scratched the surface. Also, we didn't realize how much time is involved in transfering between islands and Athens either by boat or plane.

It would be best to concentrate on one or the other ( Greece or Turkey), since there's so much to see and do in each country. However, if your heart's really set on going to both, I would choose just one or two Greek islands plus Ephesus and Istanbul.
Mar 15th, 2007, 07:35 PM

bookmarking
Mar 16th, 2007, 06:40 AM

If you decide to visit Turkey, I'd recommend checking out Turkeytravelplanner.com. It's a great resource for planning a trip to Turkey, and I found it extremely helpful.
Mar 16th, 2007, 06:47 AM

Why did you start two identical threads, belly?
Mar 16th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Brotherleelove thank you so much. If I save Rhodes for another time is it doable?
If I can be a royal pain can you recommend how many days on Athens? Last year I planned a Peru trip- which was really tough I might add as I have no spanish and although we spent time in 6 different places with lots of planes, trains and automobilies it was just perfect. Let me know.
Mar 16th, 2007, 01:33 PM

As I've said, it's most "do-able" if you fly. Even then I think you're stretching yourself too thin. Many will disagree, but as far as I'm concerned you can leave Mykonos off your itinerary and use the time more effectively somewhere else along the way, especially with two youngsters in tow.

3 full days in Athens will give you ample time to explore and possibly include a bus trip to Sounion Bay to see the Temple of Poseidon. If you're leaving for home from Athens give yourself one last day in Athens before your departure home to insure some extra time in case of a delay getting there.

Mar 16th, 2007, 03:11 PM

You are certainly trying to fit a lot in but here are a few suggestions anyway.
1. Athens - 3 nights, Plaka area (this gives you the day you land, and 2 full days in Athens. 3 full days would be better still, as mentioned, you could then take a day trip to Sounio, or to one of the nearby islands, such as Aegina, or Poros).
2. Olympia and Delphi - a little problematic because they are nowhere near eachother. Olympia is a 5 hour drive from Athens. Delphi could be visited as a daytrip from Athens if you increase the number of nights you stay there. For Olympia, I think you really need a night in the area.
3. Crete - I would fly from Athens to Chania and stay in Crete for 2 or 3 nights.
4. After Crete, you could visit Rhodes if you fly, however, you would need to fly back to Athens and fly from there to Rhodes. I actually think Rhodes would fit in quite well as you could get a ferry from there to Turkey.
5. For the Turkey part of the trip, I would allow 3 or 4 nights in the Kusadasi / Budrum area (and visit Ephasis) and 3 or 4 nights in Istanbul.
6. I would forget Santorini and Mykonos. If you want to see one of the smaller islands, I suggest a visit to Poros for the day from Athens.
In summary (and I'm sure some will disagree), I would start with 5 nights in Athens and visit Delphi on a daytrip from there, plus a daytrip to a smaller island or Sounio.
After that - Olympia, 1 night stay (night 6)
Return from Olympia to Athens and fly to Chania (nights 7-10)
Fly from Chania or Heraklion to Rhodes via Athens (check Aegean Airways)
Rhodes (nights 11-12)
Ferry from Rhodes to Turkey, Budrum / Kusadasi area(nights 13-17)
Onto Istanbul, 3 / 4 nights.
Good luck,
Carolena
Mar 16th, 2007, 04:05 PM

If you fly on Sky Express it's not necessary to return to Athens to fly from Crete to Rhodes. Olympic Airlines also has a direct flight although it's not very frequent.
Mar 16th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Brotherleelove I like your itinerary ideas. If I leave Mykonos off can I get from Santorini to Samos by ferry?
Mar 16th, 2007, 06:05 PM

Not directly. First you'll have to go to nearby Naxos to catch a ferry to Samos to the port of Vathi. Right now it's a midnight departure twice weekly. Last July-August there were two differnt departures each week. What this suggests is that you'll need to check sometime in June to see what comes up on the ferry websites for July and August. The good news is that you'll be able to go to Naxos on the same day as the ferry to Samos and not have to spend a night before moving on.

www.gtp.gr

www.openseas.gr