Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Medical insurance for Schengen visa (Italy and France)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

We're traveling to Italy and France and preparing to apply for a Schengen visa at the Italian consulate because it's our main destination. They have very specific medical insurance requirements as follows:

8)Proof of medical insurance covering the entire period of stay in Italy must be provided. US health insurance policies are accepted only with statements from the health insurance company confirming that the company will pay Italian providers directly (not that they will reimburse the insured). In lieu of this applicants may show proof of purchase of medical travel insurance for the whole travel period. Minimum coverage must be $40,000.00;

We currently have Kaiser Permanente which has coverage worldwide, but they expect us to pay for any expenses out of pocket and they will reimburse us. I don't think I can use them for the visa.

I've also contacted www.globaltravelshield.com which is underwritten by Amex Assurance and they have a very reasonable fee.

I'd like to know if anybody has been successful in using any of these to satisfy Schengen visa requirements. Any other insurance companies I can use?

I have called the Italian consulate in San Francisco NUMEROUS times and have not had any luck. I wonder if anybody really works over there.

Thank you for any help.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 05:19 PM

I thought US citizens don't need a visa for EU countries...
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 05:23 PM

most tourist don't need a visa. It depends on length of stay and your purpose.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

You are correct. However, I am a permanent resident, not a US citizen.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 05:49 PM

Have IHI international for my wife and I. $300,000.00 coverage. Website www.IHI.com
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 06:17 PM

Just to correct the website that sherm gave it is actually www.ihi.com

heyengel, contacting the Italian Consulate in SF by phone is impossible. Go to SF and be in line at their consulate before 8:00am during the work week and plan on spending time in line.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 06:26 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I had to purchase insurance for my daughter's Spain visa last year. I found a policy (major medical and hospital) that you could purchase by the number on months you needed. I'll see if I can locate the company name.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 06:30 PM

Here's the link to the company I used. I chose it for the price and the major medical deductible of $50. Some other companies had much higher deductibles.
http://www.hthworldwide.com/corp_prd...s/products.htm
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 06:39 PM

I'm sorry to hijack your thread, heyengel. But I need to ask kybourbon a couple of questions.

As you may have seen on my FF R&R post, when my daughter went to apply for her visa in Ireland (or, as they called it, "to register&quot, they wouldn't accept her insurance card because it doesn't have a date. Nothing was said about the coverage itself. It's Blue Cross Blue Shield and will pretty much cover anything except "voluntary" stuff like physicals (what they specifically told me, both before she left and last week, is that they'll cover accidents, life-threatening injuries and anything that can't wait until she gets home). But I don't know whether they'll pay the provider directly. Didn't think to ask about that. Anyway, they're sending a certificate of coverage which I will forward to my daughter. But (finally the question!), if they don't accept that and we go with the company you used, how long will it take to get coverage and have proof that she can show them? We're supposed to fly to Paris the 27th. But she won't be able to leave the country until she's registered.

I really thought we'd done a pretty good job of checking on all of these things before she left. But we keep hitting these nasty little surprises!

All of us Fodorites who've had kids study abroad should get together and write a book about our experiences and how to avoid pitfalls!
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 06:40 PM

Hi heyengel,

I did this for my uncle, who is also a permanent resident of the US. Each time I've had to get him a Schengen Visa, I've had to prove that he has well over $40k of medical insurance. This, of course, depends on the country. In your case, all you need to do is prove that your travel insurance covers you for medical expenses during your entire stay.

FYI - our travel insurance, through Travelex, also requires us to pay for expenses out of pocket, after which we would get reimbursed up to the amount stated in the insurance.

Hope this clarifies your questions. If not, write back and I'd be happy to help.

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 06:48 PM

I also meant to write that since you already have Kaiser Permanente, find out what your medical coverage is under the insurance you purchased. Depending on matters, you might not need to purchase anything extra. Or, you might actually get a better deal upping your medical with your current insurance.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 06:49 PM

I also meant to write that since you already have Kaiser Permanente, find out what your medical coverage is under the insurance you purchased and have them send you your coverage policy with your name on it and the coverage amounts. Depending on matters, you might not need to purchase anything extra. Or, you might actually get a better deal upping your medical with your current insurance.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 03:06 AM

you can write a book or use an exchange program/study consultant that actually helps with this by giving proper detailed information.

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 03:54 AM

Yes, lincasanova. But easier said that done. We're learning that we're far from being the only ones who've had problems.

In my daughter's case, she was pretty much left to her own devices as her school didn't have an existing program with Ireland. They're depending on her sharing her experiences to help them set one up. However, she's run across students in a very prestigious program who're having some of the same problems she is.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 05:20 AM

Caph - I think I still have a file from my daughter's study abroad last year and will try to find it today. I'm 99% sure that was the company I ended up using, but didn't look for the file last night.

Our problem started before my daughter left for Spain and was applying for her visa. She had to get the visa before she traveled. Our insurance provider had changed on 1/1 and we chose the most expensive policy which turned out not to cover us out of the country. We didn't know that until we asked for the letter. Funny, but we found out their cheaper policies did cover out of the country. That's when our search started so I guess it didn't take long because her consulate appointment was within a week or two.

I did a search for study abroad insurance and found several companies that offered major medical, etc. These are not your regular travel insurance companies and they weren't listed on insuremytrip.com. I bought a 5 month policy, because that was how long she was going to be there.

I'll post back later.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 05:24 AM

kybourbon, thanks so much for that info and for the link you posted last night. But please don't go to any trouble on my account. I'm still hopeful that our Blue Cross Blue Shield coverage will be just fine. After I posted, I checked the list of Schengen countries and realized that Ireland is not one. So they may not have the same requirements heyengel ran into.

So I'd really hate for you to dig out your file just for me when, at this point, we may be fine with what we have.

Again, thanks!
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 05:47 AM

Again, my apologies to you, heyengel. Thanks for letting me butt in!
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 05:58 AM

Caph - I really think your Blue Cross policy will be enough. I did locate my print out of my online insurance purchase which was dated 1/5/06 and I'm sure dd's consulate appointment was around the 10th of January so I'm sure she had the proof by then. I also located the letter they sent with her insurance card, but it wasn't dated. I don't think it took more than a week. We purchased the US Students Abroad policy and it was $180 for the 5 months. I think her card listed the coverage dates.

I think Spain has different requirements because she had to get her visa before she left. They also required a physical and letter from her doctor saying she didn't have yellow fever, cholera, plague, drug addiction and no signs of mental illness.

If you eventually need to buy, call HTH - 888-243-2358 and they will answer any questions.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:41 AM
MaureenB

When we needed proof of health insurance for an Italian visa, our insurance company (Guardian) provided us with a letter which covered the requirements. I think the letter had to be addressed to the Italian consulate. Have you spoken with someone at Kaiser who understands your request and could help or guide you?
>-

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:44 AM

Italy - funny. I fell in naples last month, was bleeding so much they called an ambulance to take me to the ER, was stitched up, had thorough X-rays of my head ("showed nothing&quot and then talked to doctor.
They never asked for any money. Total cost $0. At home - well ambulance a few hundred bucks at least, ER more, doctor consulation at end $100, etc.

In Naples nothing. I did have health insurance from home and Travel Insurance but it never came up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -