Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I need help planning Greece and/or Turkey trip in April...

Nov 8th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Hi, nobody answered my question about whether Turkey was safe for family travel given the unrest, so I guess that's a yes?

Okay, well, we'll have about 12 days and have never been to either Greece or Turkey. The girls are teens and love food, shopping, swimming (are the beaches swimmable in April?) As a family we like simple, local, charming vs. 4-5 star or too touristy.

Can anybody suggest an itinerary that would include some islands - and also answer the question, would it be crazy to try to squeeze in Crete?

Many thanks! Lydie
Nov 8th, 2007, 02:55 PM

Greece and Turkey are both "safe." If you have any doubts aobut Turkey stick to the west side of the country, the Aegean and Mediterranean coastline. The sea will most likely be too cold for swimming in April.

One possible itinerary would involve some flying, since your time is limited. Fly from Athens to Samos, take the ferry across to Kusadasi so you can visit Ephesus. From Ephesus take the bus south to Bodrum or Marmaris, and from there across to Rhodes. From Rhodes you can catch a ferry to Crete, and from Crete you can catch the highspeed ferry north to Santorini. From Santorini you can fly back to Athens. Aegean Airlines has cheap domestic flights for as little as 10 euro plus taxes (AROUND 39 EURO) http://www.aegean-air.gr/aegeanen/home/
Nov 8th, 2007, 03:00 PM

Totally brilliant Brotherlee. I did the almost identical itinerary last year. Turkey is the most tourist-friendly country I have been to. Greece is next.
Nov 8th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Brotherleelove and Gertie! I'll get out a map and see what that all looks like. Should we look for studios or would you suggest any hotels?

Also, I've been reading the posts and see lots of people mentioning Naxos. I'm curious as to why it wasn't on your list (or put another way - would it be if we had more time?)

Again, many thanks!
Nov 8th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Would there be a way to do this with Itanbul as the entry point? From what everybody is writing, it sounds like a marvelous city. Your thoughts? Thanks.
Nov 8th, 2007, 08:06 PM

I would definitely add in Istanbul! Your teen girls will LOVE the Grand Bazaar! My shop-a-holic 14 year old son has been 3 different times and still loves it!
Nov 9th, 2007, 12:35 PM

Self-catering 'hotels' and apartments are common in both countries and are usually quite affordable. In Turkey the businesses are called "Apart Hotels". When searching the internet look for kitchenettes listed under facilities.

On Santorini check out Blue Dolphins Apartments, Scirocco Apartments, Villa Ilias, Volcano's Villas, Anemomilos Hotel, Chelidonia Villas and Musses Studios for starters.

I didn't mention Naxos because you don't have enough time. I don't think you have enough time to add Istanbul unless you completely change your approach. My best recommendation is for you to choose one country and spend the whole 12 days there and not try to fit in so much, or you'll be wasting too much time keeping to your schedule.
Nov 9th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Yea, thanks, Brotherleelove - I was starting to think there may be too much moving around as well. Thanks a million for the Crete lodging recs. Can you tell me how warm it will be in mid-April. Shorts? Nights cool?
Thx!!