Itinerary Help for Trip to Italy

Jan 15th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Itinerary Help for Trip to Italy

My husband and I are taking our first trip to Italy in late-March. We fly into Venice and plan two days there, two days in Florence, one day to drive through Tuscany/Sienna, then four days in Rome with a side trip to Pompeii. Does anyone have any suggestions for any of these destinations?
Jan 15th, 2005, 06:29 PM

By suggestions, do you mean hotels, restaurants, things to see, or all of the above?
Jan 15th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Things to see
Jan 15th, 2005, 07:26 PM

Keets, please do not take this the wrong way but please do some research. Two days in Venice, Piazza San Marco and everything there. And then? Research will help guide you to whatever interest you.

Same with Florence and also Rome.

If you use the search box here on Fodors you will get a wealth of information. If you do not know how to use the search feature please post again.

With the short time you have in each city you will want to have some knowledge about what will interest you two. And of course that is what you are trying to obtain. But we have no idea. I would assume there are sights that caused you to book a trip to Italy.
What are they?

You are flying into Venice and then flying out of Rome I assume. That is a good first start to your trip.
Jan 16th, 2005, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

I have actually already used the search feature on this site and have several travel guides that I've also researched. There is much that we would like to see but obviously we are limited in our time in each city so hoped that experienced travelers to Italy might have additional suggestions of their favorite sites.
Jan 16th, 2005, 06:16 AM

It's not aobut our favorite sights - its about what you're interested in. roman history? churches? Museums? Art? fine dining? What in the countryside? Hiking? Small, charming towns? Shopping??? Church bells? Wineries?

Without knowing what you are interested in - or which of the things you know about you are most interested in - it's hard to tell. And - in the time you have you need to pare down your list- not add to it - unless you have special interests that are not being addressed.
Jan 16th, 2005, 08:26 AM

My husband and I did a similar trip in October to the one that you are planning. However, we did stay 3 days in each place. We started in Tuscany and hired a guide that had been mentioned several times on this site: Alessandro ([email protected]). We would never have seen as much in Tuscany if it were not for him. He picked us up at the Florence airport, took us to our hotel in Siena, came back the next day to take us for day one of our tour. After talking to other couples who were touring on their own I know we saw twice as much with no stress on ourselves with driving/navigating. On our second and last day of touring we simply went back with him to Florence, stayed overnight, and took the train to Venice. (We came back to Florence after for our 3 days there). He told us where to eat, where to shop, etc. We stayed at the Hotel Davanzati in Florence (family-run, great location), the Hotel Ala in Venice (my second time within a year (fantastic location), and the Hotel Davanzati in Siena (I cried when we left). I hope any of this information helps!
Jan 16th, 2005, 08:42 AM
ira

Hi keets,

May I suggest that you

a: Do Siena as a daytrip from Florence via the SITA bus.

b: Save Pompeii for another visit when you have more time. You can visit the ruins of Ostia Antica easily from Rome. You can also visit the hill town of Orvieto (1 hr by train) from Rome.

Enjoy your visit.

Jan 16th, 2005, 10:00 AM

For short stays, hiring a guide is the best way to go, as per previous reply. Also, book ahead for tickets for the Uffizi in Florence, special restaurants, theater tickets etc.- will make all the difference!

Search this Thread