Apts in Italy

Aug 14th, 2007, 03:41 PM
mms
Original Poster

Apts in Italy

We are planning a trip back to Italy. We are in the early planning stages, so nothing is set yet. We are thinking of renting apts in Rome, Florence(or nearby) and Venice. I would appreciate any rental websites that anyone can recommend, as well as knowing about which companies to avoid. Last time we went we stayed in hotels which was fine, but we are looking for something different. It would be for 2 adults and 2 teens. Thanks!
Aug 14th, 2007, 06:13 PM
J62

I recommend you start at www.slowtrav.com
Aug 14th, 2007, 06:16 PM

mms,

For my first stay in Rome, I used www.sleepinitaly.com I had no problems. For my upcoming trip I used www.romanreference.com

As for Florence and Venice I can't help you as I stayed in hotels both times in each city.

Tom
Aug 14th, 2007, 06:23 PM
mms
Original Poster

Thank you J62 and Tom! I will check all these sites out.

Keep the ideas coming!
Aug 14th, 2007, 06:38 PM
J62

Based on recommendations from slowtrav I recently used venicerentals.com.

Denise, the owner is a native English speaker, and was very helpful in narrowing down choices based on my budget, family, touring preferences, etc.

I'd use them again in a heartbeat.
Aug 14th, 2007, 06:44 PM

We used vrbo.com. We rented the 17h century Palazzo del Grillo near the Forum. It has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. We really enjoyed our stay. It also has 2 portable room a/c as well as free internet (with your computer).
Aug 14th, 2007, 08:00 PM

We used www.rentalinrome.com and booked an apartment on Via Guilia near the Campo d'Fioro./Piazza Navona area. It was a central location and a historic district. It was walking distance to the Vatican and the bus stop to the Forum area was close by. Lots of restaurants, a grocery store, tabac store, and coffee bars within walking distance also.
Aug 15th, 2007, 04:19 AM

We rented a 2 BR apartment in Rome through realrome.com. The owner, Tim Pearson, is very pleasant to deal with and the agency gets consistently good reviews here and on tripadvisor. The apartments are fairly basic, good value.
Aug 15th, 2007, 04:29 AM

Agree with all the above replys but especially the first one. START at http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/vr/reviews.asp and you can read tons of first hand reviews of the different rental agenies and specific apartments throughout Rome, FLorence, and Venice.
Aug 15th, 2007, 05:02 AM

I second venicerentals.com. We've used them twice and been very happy.

I can also recommend sleepinginflorence.com for Florence, and have used sleepinginitaly.com for Rome.
Aug 15th, 2007, 06:38 AM
mms
Original Poster

Huge thanks to everyone! I started reading at slowtrav last night. Good thing we plan ahead as it will take me forever to sort through all our options.

If anyone has more suggestions, please let me know
Aug 15th, 2007, 07:36 AM

Rome:

We've stayed in two different apartments at Palazzo-Olivia in the past two years (based on recs here from Patrick and BobtheNav) and were very happy.

http://www.palazzo-olivia.it/

Outside of Florence:

We stayed at Salvadonica quite a while ago now but it would be worth looking for recent reviews. We've sent friends and family and they've given it great reviews. We drove into Florence but, I believe, there's a local bus that stops outside their property.

I think I remember from your Paris report that your daughter plays tennis? Anyway, there's a court at Salvadonica as well as a pool, etc.

http://www.salvadonica.com/

Best of luck~
Aug 15th, 2007, 07:45 AM
mms
Original Poster

mvor--Thanks! Yes, DD is a tennis player She will love that!!!
Aug 15th, 2007, 07:49 AM

Excellent! We were in Paris at the same time as you so that's why I remembered.

Be sure to look at Franco's recs here, that's where I found our Venice apartment for next year: www.rosadivenezia.com (it only sleeps 2).

Happy hunting!
Aug 15th, 2007, 07:49 AM

We've rented through www.rentalinrome.com for an upcoming November trip. I've read good reviews, but can't give you full details yet.

One thing I really liked: we were able to pay our deposit using PayPal. Do the other rental companies do that?
Aug 15th, 2007, 07:53 AM

Our apt in Venice is the first time we've been offered PayPal but hopefully that will change. The place we rented in Gordes this year is considering using it for 2008. So much quicker and cheaper.
Aug 15th, 2007, 08:44 AM

We also stayed at www.rosadivenezia.com last year and loved it.

They have a somewhat strict payment policy (no credit cards and 1/2 due to secure reservation with balance due 30 days before arrival) involving either bank transfers or pricey Western Union.

In spite of that it is worth it as proven by its ongoing popularity. Popular dates are booked up to a year ahead!
Aug 15th, 2007, 09:14 AM

bardo, thanks for the mini-review of rosadivenezia, it's always reassuring to hear from prior guests. I'm very glad they accept PayPal now.

mms, hope you get more suggestions by this topping.
Aug 15th, 2007, 09:59 AM

I was in Florence in May with my wife enjoying a morning coffee at Piazza della Signoria and happened to overhear a conversation about an apartment on the next table. We asked if we could view it and we were taken to newly available 'Room with a view'. We took a lift (unusual in old Florence) up to 5th floor and once inside I sat on the couch and marvelled: I could see the Palazzo Vecchio and the Bargello from different north and east facing windows and from the bathroom window the Duomo. I will never forget that moment. I will be staying there on my next trip. The apartment is on this site http://www.tuscanweb.com/property/?ID=4514. If you are planning to stay in the historic center of Florence they have a good selection of apartments. Naturally it all depends on what you are looking for when you visit Florence.
Aug 16th, 2007, 07:01 AM
mms
Original Poster

This is fantastic, thank you all!