bobthenavigator & other Italy veterans...IDEAL itinerary for a FIRST TIMER

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH & I are planning our first trip to Italy for October 2011. I would like my first trip to consist of Cinque Terre & Florence/Tuscan hilltowns.

I would like to know from all Fodorites including bobthenavigator, Italy travel experts & veterans: if you could make an itinerary for a first timer to Italy, what would it be? Let's say the time in Italy, like my upcoming trip, would be for 10 days.

Let's hear your ideal itinerary for a first timer!
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 07:14 AM

I would not include CT on a first trip to Italy in October.

That area is just too weather dependent and if you hit rain, you are out of luck.

In order to get meaningful responses you should tell us more about your interests. Otherwise you will receive a standard "cut and paste" itinerary no different than one you can find in a mass market travel guidebook.

For example, how interested are you in great art? Do you want to hike? Do you plan to rent a place or stay in hotels? Do you plan to rent a car?
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 07:28 AM

I and many others thought the itinerary you outlined in your other post was very nice. Did you see the replies? Are you rethinking?
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

No, I'm not rethinking. I really liked all the replies on my previous post.
I was just posting this new one out of curiosity! I just wanted to know, for fun, what itinerary anyone of you would advise for someone that has not yet been to Italy. Such as would it include Rome or Venice or any other place in Italy you may love. This new post isn't directly about my previous post. I just like to hear what other travelers have to say!
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 07:53 AM

I am no expert, but I think it is an unanswerable question. It is entirely dependent on the person asking and the person answering. On my first visit to Italy I saw neither Rome, Florence, Venice, nor Tuscan hill towns.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 07:57 AM

I think it depends on your interests. On a first trip most people go to Rome, Florence and Venice to absorb the arcitecture and art.

My DH and I have been to those places, but we prefer smaller towns and the experience of slow meals, wine and talking to people. Because of that we base ourselves in Tuscany and wander to our favorite restaurants, wineries and just get to know the people.

Historical temp in CT in early October is 70 or so. If you are hikers then you really need to go to CT and it would be best if you get there as early as possible. Temps should be high 60s in Tuscany..... should because in May it should have been that also and instead it was torential downpour.

For the Tuscan hills I feel that it is best to base around Siena. But if you want to see some of Umbria also then Montepulciano or Pienza area is great.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 07:58 AM

<<On my first visit to Italy I saw neither Rome, Florence, Venice, nor Tuscan hill towns.>>

And my first trip I saw Rome, Florence AND Venice!
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 08:14 AM

It really IS dependent on the traveler's interests. My first trip to Italy included Torino, Padova, Vicenza, Venice, and Florence, balancing personal interests and famous sights. We need more information about the person traveling to provide meaningful answers.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 08:30 AM

I also would not do CT for a first time trip in October.
With nine nights I would do something like this:
3 Florence
3 Chianti
3 Val D'Orcia

Where you fly in and out of dictates a lot. If you still want a taste of CT, I'd look at this:
2 CT
2 Florence
3 Chianti
3 Val D'Orcia

I'd probably stay in Florence last, after the rental car is returned.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 09:15 AM

As others have said, there is no right answer--it all depends. And, your flight connections are one variable. In Oct. I do like rural Tuscany, but the coast can be risky. With only 10 days do not plan more than 3 destinations.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 11:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I might risk the first week of October in the CT, but with only 10 days you really have to be picky about where you go. I'd probably split the days between Florence and the Tuscan countryside. But if you can fly in and out of Pisa, you could easily spend the first two nights in the CT and have a full day to explore one or more towns.