itinerary for May trip to the north

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I set our itinerary a month ago and feel good about it. I invite suggestions as to sites/special places/pubs in the areas we'll be touring.
Arrive in Dublin Sat. the 13th in the am.
See Trinity College and Kilmainham Gaol and get our feet on the ground. On Sunday see a football game at Croke Stadium and maybe do the hop on and hop off bus thing. Monday head up to Enniskillen, stopping at Newgrange. We're staying at Dromard House (per Fodors recommendations). Tuesday my husband and 15 year old son will go fly fishing with a ghillie. I'll wander the woods and enjoy some solitude with nature.
Wed. head over to Donegal, checking out Killybegs and maybe taking a boat trip with Paddy Byrne by Slieve league. We'll stay at Arches country House. Thursday see more of Sleive league by foot - and explore.
Friday see Glenveagh Nat'l park and Inishowen and stay in Letterkenny at the TownView B&B. Saturday tour Derry, Bushmills and settle down at Limepark for the next 4 nights. See Giant's Causeway, Dunluce Castle, the rope bridge. There's a Ballyclare May Festival that will be beginning so that sounds like fun. We may take a boat trip over to Scotland if the weather cooperates. I'd love to see some sea wildlife (I live in Colorado). Do the Tor Road and Glenariff Forest, too. There's also a Celtic European Festival of the Sea happening on the coast during that time which sounds intriguing. Wed. see Belfast and stay at Dundalk (Cluskeys B&B). Thurs. see Proleck Dolmen, Monasterboice, Mellifont Abbey and the Mourne Mtns. Get to Dublin that night and then fly home on Friday. Does this sound like good pacing to enjoy sightseeing in a leisurely way? We are renting a car so have lots of flexibility. Reading the trip reports and threads has been incredibly helpful - though there weren't nearly as many addressing the areas we're going to. I did find a few. Thanks and I look forward to some feedback.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 02:08 PM

Hi Grantier:

It sounds like a pretty nice and relaxing journey. The four nights in NI sound great!

Just a couple of things. Inishowen by itself is pretty much a full day and if you like to walk (and it sounds like you do), you can spend a lot of time walking in Glenveigh. Consider, if you have time after Glenveigh, doing Fanad Head. Much smaller and quite spectacular, especially the lighthouse at the head. You can doo Fanad in an afternoon. I was in the area last year. Here is the webpage with some of my adventures. By the way, we stayed at Dromard and it was really quite nice.

http://www.geocities.com/obeirne_ireland_2005_1/

I've never taken the boat trip over to Campbeltown in Scotland. This would certainly be a full day and would certainly be without your car. The cost is pretty high to take a car and I believe that many, if not most rental companies, don't allow you to take the car off the island.

I also live in Colorado so I completely understand the need to see water and "water wildlife". You'll be leaving just as we are arriving.

Bill
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 04:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Your general itinerary looks just fine.

I'd forget about a day trip to Scotland though. Where were you planning on catching a ferry? I believe the Ballycastle to Campbelltown ferry is no more . . .And Belfast to Stranraer costs well over £100 for a car and driver, plus the fare for add'l passenger.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 09:19 PM

Instead of going to Scotland for sea wildlife you have merely to take the ferry from Ballycastle to Rathlin Island for the day. It is much more do-able and there are seals, seabirds, etc.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 09:53 AM

It sounds wonderful! One suggestion: when driving along the coastal road toward the Giant's Causeway and Dunluce Castle, I suggest a stop at Ballintoy Harbour. It was an exceptionally picturesque place to walk along the coast.

Be forewarned -- Torr Head road was referred to by locals as "the WEE road." They weren't kidding! SCARY --but worth it.

Also, try the "waterfall trail" in Glenariff Forest park. We stopped en route at one of the markets in Ballycastle and picked up items for a picnic. (There are picnic tables set up.) What a setting!

If you haven't seen my pix (including many of these places -- and Limepark) click on http://photobucket.com/albums/f391/JBSongdoc/ (You don’t have to join or do anything else.)

I hope you have a wonderful time! Give my regards to Melanie, John, the dogs, horses, and chickens at Limepark. You'll love it there. I WANT TO GO BACK!!!

Jason (songdoc)
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. Bill and Jason, I enjoyed reading your trip reports and viewing the gorgeous photos. They were both inspirational and informative. Janisj and IrishEyes
, I should have been more explicit. I'm only planning a day trip with Sea Treks - either a 3 hour trip to Rathlin Island or an 8 hour trip to the Isle of Colonsay - sounds like they're speed boats, not ferries to take cars along. Jason, I'm especially looking forward to the waterfalls at Glenariff. The advantage, like you said in your report, with staying in one area more than one day is if the weather isn't great for one activity, you can do something else. I will give your regards to Melanie and John and the critters. I have a question about phoning home to the US from there. What's the best option? I have an AT&T phone card that will work, I think. Did you guys have any special tricks to save on cost? We won't be calling that often, but the folks back home appreciate a check in atleast once a week. Thanks. Getting excited and I'm glad I've got this much settled so that when I'm there I won't have to be "on duty" so much. Jenny
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 02:33 PM

Hi Jenny:

Phone cards seem to be the most economical choice. I have an unlocked phone that I use when I travel there and just pick up a SIM card. When people call you, it's free to the person receiving. They guy on the other end gets beaten a bit on theper minute charges. I belive Costco sells some kind of card also that is pretty cheap.

You can reach the Waterfall walk from wither the top or turn off at the sign for the hotel part way up. I can never remember the name (it's probably obvious) but you can't miss it.

Bill