Tentative Scotland Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All, Let me preface this by saying I know this is not a typical itinerary and may not hit normal hot spots but I would really like some constructive criticism if there are ways I could tidy it up. The parameters I have to work with are I am taking my 80 year old mother on what is prob her last trip to Scotland. She was there once before in 1950 with my father. I have asked her for four wishes and she came up with South Uist ( our home and native land ), Islay ( for the whiskey ), Orkneys ( she can't get Italian chapel off her brain altho I told her is will take all of 10 min to see ) and Dumfries ( where she was with my dad). I , not being 80 do not have infinite vacation time. So here goes. Leave Toronot Thurs Sept 17 evening. Arrive Glasgow Fri am and fly to Kirkwall. Pick up rental car. Fri and Sat night in Orkneys. Sun / Mon travel with a couple of stops to B and B I have previously stayed at in Uig. Tues am take boat to Uig, drive around and south to homeland. Wed am take boat(s) to arrive Islay Wed pm. Stay Wed/Thurs/Fri night on Islay. Sat do the ferry skip jump to arrive on mainland at Ardossan. Sat and Sun night in Castle Douglas. Mon have time for some stuff on way to Glasgow as flight doesn't leave until 3 pm. I realize this is barebones I will start filling in sights once I see what you think of schedule. Thanks in advance. Mac
PS Might have to change my name to Mactimes4 as my third and final sister now thinks she might be able to join the trip...glory be.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 09:30 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I am a bit confused; You mention staying in Uig - do you actually mean South Uist? The only Uig's I know of are on Skye (2) and on (I think) Coll. Or were you planning on staying in Uig (Skye) to tour N/S Uist? (Or - is there a Uig on one of the Uists?) Just doesn't make sense to me.

A couple of quick thoughts. The basic itinerary (once the Uig/Uist confusion is cleared up) is doable. Sat w/ it's 3 ferry trips and longish drive will be hectic and long. You'll only have Sunday free for the SW/Castle Douglas/Dumfries. And on Mon, don't expect time to see/do much. You'll have to be at GLA by about noon in order to have time to deal w/ returning the car, etc.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 09:31 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh - meant to add - sounds like a terrific "island centric" trip . . . . .
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Hi All (esp JanisJ). I mean staying Monday night in the town of Uig in Skye to take the ferry Tues am to Uist. As I recall the drive south only took 2 hours or so and we will have most of the day to explore the mueseum, see Ormaclatte ( the cow barn ) and visit the beach. Hopefully the weather will be as warm as last time. In Sept 2006 I had a great swim on that beach. Mac
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 11:30 AM

I think you have it taped. It would be my idea of a wonderful trip.

The Islay ferry from Oban is late afternoon, I think. Have you checked the ferry time for the boat from Lochboisdale getting in?
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Yep, The Cal Mac website and I are old friends. Arrive Oban from Lochboisdale at 2:20 and leave for Port Askaig at 3:30 altho I am now toying with driving from Oban to Kennacraig and catching ferry at 6 pm to arrive Port Ellen 8:20 pm. See a part of the country I havn't been to and break up the whole day on boat.