Itinerary Final Tweak

Old Jan 25th, 2017, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary Final Tweak

OK this board is amazing and here is my itinerary. Leave April 6 and return the 19th.

1. Drive straight to Nafplion afternoong of the 8-10
(My husband likes to drive and we drive in NYC and we have a direct flight. We have a nice house we rented.)
Day trips Epidavros, Mystras, Mycenae, Nemea, hiking??, any interesting towns to go for lunch?
three nights too long?

2. Hydra night of the 11th
This is to break up ruins because I have 13 year olds. they will like the boat ride and being by the water.

3. Drive to Delphi and night of 12th in Delphi

4. Drive to Meteora and April 14th and 15th in Meteora

5. Drive to Athens on Easter and we got a nice home away (thank you!!!). 16-18th and leave late in the day on the 19th

And I do want to hire a guide for 1 or 2 of the ruins. Any suggestions which ones would be best? I am concerned about closings for Easter but oh well.

Thanks
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 06:20 PM

The best expert on Delphi in various forums is Mariha -- she lives there & is in the hospitality business. She personally knows and recommends a LOCAl Delphi licensed guide, Georgia Hasioti - http://www.delphi-guide.gr - she is very favorably reviewed... contact her beforehand & she'll advise when to meet ... I think she has 2 hr minimum.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 06:28 PM

For Nafplio, STUDY the MAP to be most time-efficient about your site sequence. http://euro-map.com/karty-grecii/pel...eloponnesa.jpg (click & it gets huuge).

As u can see, you do least back-tracking if you stop at NEMEA en route to NAFPLIO, because it's right off big highway just s. of canal -- but if winter hours are still on,(closing @3) you would have to get there by 2 pm. The longer hours are supposed to start April 1, but w. govt. financial pinch they may not - YOU must check this yourself: phone from Athens.

If not then I'd say, 1 day for Nafplio Old Town & Tiryns, maybe drive up back of Palimidi ... 2nd day for Nemea, Nemea Vineyards, Mycenae. On day u leave for Athens, drive across "thumb" of Pelops to see Epidaurus, then go up coast road to Isthmus to see Corinth Canal, then get on big highway.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 07:31 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Napflion- three days is not too long. We stayed longer, lovely spot.
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 08:56 AM

HappyTrvlr, if time permitted, I'd say a full week in Naxos, a full week in Nafplio ... but alas they only have 12 days and want to do Athens, Delphi and Meteora as well.
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 09:56 AM

We were based in Nafplio for 7 days off season (October) and had a great time. Lovely town, waterfront and Old Town. Close to major archeological/historic sites. Many otpions for tavernas, shops and markets and if that's not enough the "new" town is just a reasonable walk away with more business for everyday and local shoppers including a farmer's market twice a week.

We never got bored or "antsy", lots to see. A car rental will give you more options to travel further afield.

When we were there there was a day cruise to Hydra/Spetses from Pegasus(?) travel which will give you the opportunity to check out both islands with Hydra the better of the two.
Old Jan 27th, 2017, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

I seem to have TWO nights in Delphi... Arrghh, didn't want that. Galaxidi? Not sure what else there is to do there.