Itinerary comments, please?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2003, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, I want to say this is a great site! After lurking several days, I've picked up some great advice! Have booked a hotel in Rothenburg for 2 nights that many people praised here...so I want to say thanks for the loads of helpful info!<BR><BR>The question: My husband and I are visiting England and then flying to Germany for 6 days. Our plan is to fly into Munich, stay 2 nights there, then go to Rothenburg for 2 nights, then back to Munich, from where we will fly home. I would like to know if seeing Garmisch and the Neuschwanstein Castle are day trips we could do from Munich, or is that too much? From reading here, I have already learned that the many places we had planned to see is probably way too much, and I'd rather be able to enjoy thoroughly what we do see. Also planning on the Criminal Museum and Nightwatchman's Tour in Rothenburg! Anyway, does the above sound reasonable? Oh, we think we would rather take trains than drive, unless that's a dumb idea. Also, any suggestions for Munich hotels? Thank you.<BR><BR>
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 06:06 AM

Neuschwanstein/Hohenschwangau is fine as a day trip. You can either drive yourself, or take one of the many bus excursions. You wouldn't want a car in Munich, but driving is not difficult outside the big cities.<BR><BR>I don't think Garmisch itself is a particularly good destination as a day trip, more of a place to settle in for a bit.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot, Rufus, I appreciate that. I'm glad to hear about the castle being within good range. Hmmmm....maybe I'll rethink and stay in Garmisch for a night, or, if anyone has other suggestions, please feel free to step right in, LOL!
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 07:20 AM

dear harrie,<BR><BR>there are really a lot of hotel-options here in muich. i would recommend not to stay in one of the chain hotels (there are two hiltons, a sheraton, etc.) but in one of the smaller hotels. the hottest hotel in town right now is the very well designed hotel cortiina (cortiina.com). its right in the center, close to the hofbr&auml;uhaus. very nice as well: hotel olympic in the very lively and central gay area. its a very well kept quite hotel, filled with a lot of antiques and a spectacular breakfast room. if you like something very neuschwanstein-like try the opulent hotel opera. it's in a quite area, but it's just two minutes by foot to the center. and if you want to save: there is a lovely b&amp;b: it's calles pension am g&auml;rtnerplatz and the rooms with their bavarian decor are lovely.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 07:28 AM

We stayed at the hotel Bristol in MunichIt was close to the station and the center.Either walking distance or the handy U system.Very friendly place about 75 e in may 2002. Tel #089-595-151 www.bristol-muc.com call for reservations.have a nice trip.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Nikolaus and jtune! I knew it wouldn't be a mistake to post here. I will spend late this afternoon checking those particular places. I just feel much better hearing what &quot;travelers&quot; have to say rather than relying totally on web sites or books. Thanks again.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 11:08 AM

I found the criminal museum in Rottenburg to be only &quot;okay&quot;. Make sure to go to Katie Wohlfart's Xmas village store there, that is my favorite thing in Rottenburg.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Oh, I will! Thanks for the suggestion. Had read about the wonderful Christmas markets, but didn't think there would be anything &quot;Christmasy&quot; at that time of year.