Itinerary and Budget

Search

Itinerary and Budget

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary and Budget

The husband and I are planning a trip to Europe next year (finally!)

Ww would like to go around christmas time for 2 weeks as we both already have time off then this is our plan so far

Dec 18: Arrive in Prague
Dec 19: Prague
Dec 20: (morning) Prague

Dec 20: (evening) Munich
Dec 21: Munich
Dec 22: Day trip to Salzburg, Austria
Dec 23: Munich
Dec 24: Munich
Dec 25: Munich
Dec 26: Munich

Dec 27: Paris
Dec 28: Paris
Dec 29: Paris
Dec 30: Paris
Dec 31: Paris
Jan 1: Depart Paris

WE dont know if we are spending too much time in Munich or Paris (although I doubt we would decrease the amount of time in Paris even if we were since its been my dream to see forever!) We also dont know what a realistic budget would be. We know flights will cost $3000.00 for the both of us but after that we have no idea. I doubt we will be staying in hostels as hostels for a couple in a private room seem to run about the same as a hotel! We will most likely be taking the train from each location to the next. Any recommendations on things to do, things not to do, an ideal budget for a couple, etc.

Thanks
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 05:23 PM

Well if you go to bahn.de you can get train schedules and some idea of prices for most of the trips. Hotels vary tremendously depending on how much you want to save and what you are willing to give up. (Will you go for a shared bath, stairs versus elevator, a palce in the outskirts versus the center of town?)

Dining is similar? Midwinter isn;t a great time for picnics so I think you will have to have at least some meals in cafes/restaurants - but again this can vary from modest to big $$$.

As for sites - you can check out some of the major ones online to see prices - as well as get prices for local transit within each city. (The Eiffel Tower is about $18 for the elevator to the top, entrance to the Louvre is about $13.)
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 05:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I think I'd take a day or two from Munich to add to Prague. I spent 5 nights in Prague and it wasn't enough! Liked Munich, but loved Prague.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 06:21 AM

Go to Venere.com or Trip Advisor for hotel suggestions. You can sort by locations and budget.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 06:40 AM

What do you want to do and see in these cities? That would be the best place to start. I love Munich. , I've never been there for Christmas but I imagine you'd have to stay at a large hotel to get service on Christmas. I hope someone who knows about Christmas in a hotel in Munich will speak to that.

Why not take the train from Prague to Salzburg spend an overnight and then go on to Munich from there. You won’t have to spend time commuting on a day trip.

Your budget question really depends upon what type of hotel you want to stay in. Are you a bidding on Priceline type of person or do you need something more upscale than that? Or more downscale. How can we answer without knowing, do you expect fine wining and dining every night, some nights? Tell us a bit more please.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 06:42 AM

Oh, and if you want to look at what priceline hotels would cost, get an idea at biddingfortravel.com Wintertime is cheaper but Christmas and New Years Eve will be more expensive. Start looking for that hotel in Paris on New Years Eve now because I think that is a popular dream.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 08:49 AM

I would add 1-2 days to Prague from Munich. Make sure to try to make it to the Nuremberg Christmas Market as a daytrip from Munich!

Our last trip to Europe, in June, we spent on average $250 a day for both of us including everything except the flight over. This also includes 5 nights at a pretty expensive place in Vernazza, however everywhere else was around 90 euros a night. We also go out to eat every evening and like wine/beer.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 08:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd also add to Prague. Because in my first city I'm dealing with the jetlag, so the first day or so is only a blur. With your schedule I wouldn't remember Prague (lol).

The budget can be (within reason) whatever you want it to be. I think 90 euro is as cheap as it is easy to find nice hotel rooms in those cities but up to 150-185 euro would still be considered midrange by many people.

Same thing with meals. I think you need at least 50 euro per day per person for modest eating with a few drinks. So I'll agree with the $250/day for a couple figure above as a good ballpark estimate.

You're not taking trains all that often, will be easy enough to get the exact price of those tickets.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

wow! thanks for all the input. I have contemplated adding to prague and taking away from munich but there seems to be more castles and museums in and around it. Not to mention the Husbands family is from originally from that area (his father actually had to get his canadian citizenship to be able to attend our wedding in Cuba since he was still listed as a German citizen!). So I know he would love to spend as much time there as possible. For the 250 per day people are mentioning..is this with or without the hotel?
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 10:14 AM

Do you know your exact dates?

Remember, almost everything is shut down completely on Christmas Day, and for a half day on Dec 24th. Ditto for New Year's/Eve.

We've traveled a few times over the holidays and usually use the holiday days themselves as travel days, so not to put a crimp in our sightseeing plans.

Also -- to save some dough on the airfare -- fly to Europe later on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, fares drop on those days and it's usually quite fun, as the crews are in good holiday spirits. Last time we traveled on Xmas eve, the pilot mentioned several Santa sightings over the PA system.

As for food costs, we're budget travelers and usually spend around $80-90 USD on food per day (total for 2 people), some days more, some days less.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 10:55 AM

I haven't researched this, but if it's possible, it might be less training back and forth (though the trade off is more packing and unpacking). Anyway consider, adding a day (at least) to Prague, Taking the train from Prague to Nuremberg to see the Christmas market there and staying one night, then train from Nuremberg to Salzburg for a day and night or two, then train from Salzburg to Garmisch-Partenkirchen for 2 or 3 days and nights to see the Bavarian castles, and then spend your last night or two in Munich. This cuts down and back and forth day trips and puts you right in the heart of Bavarian castle country. Unless train connections are more difficult, and if you can handle the moving around (remember you'll have all that time to stay put in Paris afterward) I think this would be a grand way to bop about some lovely Christmas countryside.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 12:45 PM

In the winter, I think I would leave Prague as you have it but take 3 nights for Vienna as long as you are so close.
2 Prauge

3 Then train to Vienna for 3 nights

5 Munich

5 Paris