Itenary Feedback

Jul 31st, 2006, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Itenary Feedback

After reading some of the good and detailed recommendations from travllers on this forum, I thought I would post my itenary for review and maybe get some good tips. I am travelling to Spain over Xmas and New Year -- realize the weather will not be warm, but will probably be sunny - thats okay. We will be in MAdrid on Christmas which sounds like it might be cool. Flying into Barcelona, spending five days, flying to Madrid for three. Then renting a car and hitting Toledo for one night, Cordoba for one night Seville for three nights, making a bomber run to Granada for a day + and then taking our time driving back to Seville for the next day and a half plus hitting Rhonda etc...How does that sound overall?
Jul 31st, 2006, 08:11 AM

I'm definitely in the minority on this one, but I much preferred Madrid to Barcelona. Maybe one less day in Barcelona and an extra in Madrid, or one of the cities at the bottom of your list. Seems like after Madrid, you are kind of rush. I think 5 days for Barcelona is too many, but I just wasn't super interested in the sites there.
Jul 31st, 2006, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Really only four days in Barcelona as we dont get there until the evening the first night. I do love to shop, so an extra day in Barcelona probably wont make me too sad I would love to have an extra day or two and the end -- but I dont have anymore vacation (and the tickets have been purchased) is there anything you would suggest cutting out?
Jul 31st, 2006, 08:41 AM

I've never been to other places in Spain besides Madrid and Barcelona, so unfortunately I can't comment on the rest of your itinery. You will find lots of good shopping in Barcelona. If you have extra time, you could always take a day trip; we went to Montserrat and enjoyed it.

I visited Spain in December and the weather was probably better than in most other places ... good call on your part.
Jul 31st, 2006, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanx for the feedback - I was thinking of Montserrat as a possible side trip. I also want to see both the Picasso and Miro museums so that will take some time - and having a little extra time at the beginning will help us ease into it...our original plans were PAris and Belgium and my parents said we were nuts - so Spain it was!
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:37 AM

I would visit Toledo as a day trip from Madrid (instead to be there for one night, because I do not like to change too often the hotels).
I am not sure that you will have time to visit Cordoba, as you have only one night there and arrive there late. I like Cordoba more than Granada (I am speaking about the city of Granada, not about the Allhambra), but I know that other people do not agree with me.

It will be wise to make the reservation for your tickets for Allhambra.
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Valtor..
I was thinking if we had a car, we could get to Cordoba early..You dont think it would be nice to stay the night in Toledo for "ambiance"? How easy to get to Toledo by train/bus? Is is easier to take a car to Cordoba or a train from Madrid if we dont rent a car until later? My parents aggree with you for Granada -- which they only liked for the Alhambra.
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:53 AM

We liked Granada - but as the alhambra is so wonderful, surely it's worth going even if you don't like the town?
There are other threads going about how to book tickets.
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Definately planning on seeing the Alhambra - just maybe spending more time exploring the countryside than staying in Granada. I think I answered some of my own questions - with the AVE cost to Cordoba $200 well stick with our car rental from Madrid. I will just make the sig-other get up early to enjoy most time in Cordoba!
Jul 31st, 2006, 10:06 AM

JoeTro,

You are not alone! I, too, prefer Madrid to Barcelona.

Spain treveller,

I would consider this itinerary instead:

Fly to BCN, Fly to Granada, rent car, go to Rhonda, Sevilla (drop off car). Do Cordoba as a daytrip from Sevilla. Take AVE fast train to Madrid. Take Day trip to Toledo from Madrid. Fly home.

I realize this change would probably put you someplace other than Madrid for Christmas -- but consider that smaller places are sometimes more interesting places to be for Xmas than European capitals, since many people leave the city to go visit their families.

I found Montserrat quite dull, and it consumes a whole day, so I would give that day to moving on from Barcelona which would ease up on the rush during for the rest of the trip.
Jul 31st, 2006, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

MMM - I m realizing that I am somewhat stuck with my plan as I already have non-refundable tickets into Barcelona and out of Seville. Oh well - I am sure it will be a great trip even with a few "mistakes"...
Jul 31st, 2006, 01:01 PM

Here's a suggestion now that I know more about your ticket situation:

Fly to Barcelona, fly to Madrid. Do day trip to Toledo from Madrid. Rent car in Madrid next morning. Drive to Granada for one night. Drive on to Sevilla via Ronda, etc. Drop off car in Sevilla. Tour Sevilla and do Cordoba as day trip from Sevilla. Fly home.

That way you won't be paying to park you car for 3 days in Sevilla.
Jul 31st, 2006, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

nessundorma
I was contemplating that as well to save the money on parking -- but I thought it might be more fun to be in Seville on New Years Eve?? And then we can just wonder Seville while potentially sites are closed on New Years Day? I know lots of people are dead set against changing hotels - but I dont find it to be that much of a hassle and sometimes it is fun to get the ambiance of a place at night (Toledo and Cordoba) plus if we are already in Toledo, that shaves an hour off driving to Cordoba? Or do you think it is a waste to stay in Toledo for the night? What do you think of my logic? It is so hard as everyone travel different and has as many opinions as there are tapas in Spain?
Jul 31st, 2006, 04:00 PM

It would be easier for me to answer if you'd put up where you'd like to be where on what dates -- you know, like:

Dec 19 fly to BCN
Dec 24 fly to Madrid
Dec ....

etc.
Jul 31st, 2006, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

We are flying into Barcelona on the 20th and will be in around 17:45. I now am planning on leaving at 18:00 on 12/24 instead of the next morning because the flights are cheaper. So we will spend almost 4 full days in Barcelona. I have no real plans other than that except I thought it would be more fun to be in a bigger city new years eve. We are flying out Saturday morning January 6 from Seville. Based on waht you and others of siad, I will not book a room in Toledo or Cordoba - that way we can decide if we want to do Toledo just as day trip and then go straight to Cordoba or to Seville and Cordoba as a side trip. I am willing to be a little flexible, but it is best for me and my boyfriend to be mostly planned as we tend to fight otherwise