Italy with Teens

Search

Italy with Teens

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy with Teens

I am hoping I get as much help this time as I did last year in planning our family trip to the Dordogne- which was FANTASTIC! This
June 1, we plan to go to Italy with our sons-ages 17, 13, and 13. They are all good travelers, but they are typical male teens with typical interests. I prefer to stay in as few places as possible and do day trips rather than repack every night. Based on what I read on this site, I am thinking of a 14 day trip (including travel to/from Miami) to Rome, Sorrento (as a base for the coast, Pompeii, Vesuvius, Capri) and then Venice (which I guess we should fly to). My only other possibility is Florence, because my husband has a close cousin who married and settled there 25 years ago. However, Florence, itself, doesn't seem like it would be great for my boys. My questions are:
o What are the opinions re the overall itinerary? And the number of nights in each place?
o How do we get from Sorrento to Venice? I've read various postings re overnight trains and planes.
o Are we making a mistake by skipping Florence with the kids?
(By the way, my husband and I have been to all these places alone 25 years ago.)
Thanks!
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 05:29 PM

I know these things are highly subjective, but I'll offer our experiences in Italy with teens last summer. We spent a few nights in Florence. We did a walking tour which surprisingly held their interest for the entire 3 hours (I'm sure they wouldn't have listened to me reading from a guidebook for that long!). We had one of our best days taking day trips to Pisa and Lucca. I know some think Pisa is overrated but it was definitely fun for the kids to see something that was so recognizable to them. We rented bikes in Lucca and rode around the city walls, which definitely rated as a top afternoon. Another alternative might be to pick a hill town and just take a day trip into Florence, which sounds like a way to avoid Florence heat and crowds.
Good luck!
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 06:20 PM

I took my kids to Italy for my son's 16th birthday. His sister was 13. They loved it all. Pisa is great now that you can climb the tower. You can take the train and do it in a day as that is the main attraction. My son went back to do it again when graduated from high school. We rented bikes in Lucca as well. There are concerts in Lucca during the summer. I am sure you can find out who is playing. From what I understand they get popular groups. My advise is less is more. Book down time when you can go to the beach. We spent the day at the Lido. My son loved Pompeii, but my daughter thought is was dirty and very hot. They both liked the museum in Naples with all the cool stuff from Pompeii, even the x-rated room. We spent 3 days on Capri and stayed at the LaMenerva. Wonderful room and location. We did the science museum in Florence to see Galeio's finger. The kids loved that, too. Right around July 15, there is a fantastic festival in Venice. We just happen to be there. There is an unbelievbale fireworks show and the boats are all in the harbor. It is held to celebrate the plague ending in the 13th century. Whatever it is worth seeing.
Have fun
Gail
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 07:28 AM

I just returned from Sorrento, Pompeii, Capri and loved them all.. Teens will like Sorrento if they like walking and shopping and bargaining.. thats the main attraction there. The boat to Capri and then the ski lift to the top of the mtn would be fun..but they would really enjoy taking the bus to the bottom to see the 'blue lagoon'.. which is specacular, although only a 10 minute ride!. Buy the all island pass so you can take any public transportion.
The bus ride from Amalfi to Sorrento was the most scenic I've ever seen.. but not sure if your kids will be excited by scenery? Can't tell you how to get to Venice as I flew our of the Naples airport which was an easy and cheap bus ride from Sorrento. Anyone would love an overnight train but I don't know if its far enough to work that way to venice. check the eurail site. Also- Pompeii may bore the kids..but the xrated 'cabinet segreto' in the Naples museum will fascinate the older ones. I think 14 is the age minimum however. The hike up Vesuvius from the place the busses stop shouldn't be missed. You can also take them all to the oldest pizzeria in the world which is a train ride to the suburbs of naples..but worth the time. It was excellent!
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 09:57 AM

We are doing Venice - Sorrento - Rome with our 13 and 17 years old boys in April.

We are flying into Venice from NY spending 3 nights in Venice. We are then flying to Sorrento (found cheapest flights on ITALIAN Alitalia site) and spending 2 nights - seeing Pompeii one day and undecided for the other - then using a driver to go to Rome for 4 nights.

Our Venice-Naples flight gets in at 8 am so we will have 2 full days on the coast.

We are using a drive from Sorrento - Rome because I felt it would be easier then dealing with the luggage and the trains. By then we might also be a little travel weary and a car seemed the easiest wey to get there.

We are all really looking forward to it.

Donna
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 12:12 AM

This is not really what you asked, but I think any teenage boys would enjoy seeing the Cappucin Crypts in Rome...Walking distance from St. Peters. It's a crypt under a church decorated with the bones of hundreds of monks, as well as some of the mummified monks themselves. (I have a ridiculously lengthy trip report posted if you're interested...search NatalieM) Anyway, your itinerary sounds great. You might consider taking a train to Venice, which I think may be quicker than schlepping to and from airports and making transfers...certainly cheaper, and also a way to see the countryside.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your advice. I am reading conflicting reports re Pompeii. I've never been there and it sounds fascinating. However, from various postings, I have gotten the impression that teens may not care for it. Hard to believe. And is it really so hot the first weeks of June?
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 11:23 AM

I agree that Pisa could be a lot of fun for your sons. In addition to climbing the tower, they can also take a funny picture by playing with the size and distance of the tower- pushing it, leaning against it, holding it in their hands. Those pictures (from our honeymoon) still make my husband laugh, even though it was our most "touristy" moment!
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 11:28 AM

If you're unsure about Pompeii, just take them to Ostia Antica when you're in Rome. My kids loved it, and it's an easy half-day out of Rome by train.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

I was so glad to hear from StCirq as you gave us such wonderful recommendations for the Dordogne last year. If you have any "secret" ideas (i.e. like the cave we "discovered&quot for Rome, the Amalfi coast, or Venice- please tell!
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 05:17 AM

I don't know if this will help, but here is a link to my trip report Rome with Teenagers from June.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34645892
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 03:25 PM

hillyhof - My family (wife, 17 year old daughter, and 15 and 11 year old sons), and I spent two weeks in Italy this past June. We included stops in Rome, Tuscany (including a day trip to Florence), and Venice. Our trip report is at:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34645606
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 03:59 PM

We had a fantastic first family trip to Italy in June 2004 with my young adult son and 2 teen daughters.

Their #1 favorite place was Rome. We stayed near the Pantheon, a wonderfully atmospheric area.

They also loved Pompeii.

They enjoyed our private 3-hour walking tour of the ruins of Ancient Rome. I hired a private guide so they could ask all the questions they wanted. Her name was Francesca Caruso, I have her e-mail somewhere. I found her in the Rick Steves guidebook. My son and daughters could relate to her.

Florence was their least favorite place. They all agreed, Florence is somewhere you have to go if you want to see Michelangelo's David. "You should get into Florence, see what you have to see, and then get out," advised my son!

However, in the interests of taking trains all around Italy, which is a great way to travel, you could do this...fly into Rome, 4 nights in Rome. Train from Rome to Naples. From Naples, have arranged transportation to Sorrento. (I recommend a taxi from Naples, but there is also the circumvesuviana train. If you choose the circumvesuviana train, be very careful of pickpockets when walking through the train stations.

Sorrento, 3 nights as a base for seeing Pompeii, etc. You can get the circumvesuviana train to Pomepii and Herculaneum.

Get the taxi from Sorrento back to Naples train station. Take train from Naples to Florence. Spend 1 or 2 nights in Florence because it's a convenient stop by train. See Michelangelo's David.

Then take the train from Florence to Venice. Spend 3 nights in Venice. My son and daughters loved Venice. WE got the 3-day vaporetto pass for 22 euros each, which allows unlimited on and off privileges, a great way to see Venice.

Also, we did our research and I planned the itinerary, leaving free time in the plan. In Rome, we had 3 full days, and I left the last day in Rome, and also the last day in Venice, unplanned on purpose. My son and daughters loved this, and when the day for free time arrived, they knew exactly how they wanted to spend it.

According to the plan above, I have only used up 12 of your nights. If you have more time, put those nights wherever you wish.

Also, our favorite restaurants were the ones we chose from Rick Steves Italy guidebooks. Good food, good prices, and authentic Italian family atmosphere!

Have fun!
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 04:04 PM

It's me again. I have a trip report on our trip to Italy with teens if you want to read it...at the time I was new at trip reports, and only posted it on www.slowtrav.com Now I post trip reports here on fodors as well. Trip Report #487, Mind-Boggling First Glimpses of Italy With Teens. (slowtrav web-site)

I did attempt to post portions of the trip report here on fodors, but I didn't know what I was doing. I kept typing too long and the whole thing would disappear! But there are portions of it on fodors as well, somewhere. If you have any questions I'm [email protected] . Type "Italy With Teens" in the subject line as I pre-view all e-mail and I don't open unsolicited mail.

I'm excited for your opportunity to enjoy Italy with teens!
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 04:06 PM

I keep forgetting something! Forgot to mention, in my suggested plan above, you would fly home from Venice. That's what we did. Try to get a flight that doesn't leave too early, worked out great for us.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for all the info! You've given me a lot to read and consider!