Italy trip-add on to Rome, Florence, Venice-input please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking my daughter on a college graduation trip to Rome, Venice and Florence (her itinerary--she only has 10 days as she started work already) as she wants to just concentrate on those three cities for her 10 days. My husband and I are retired, so we don't have to rush back home. I would love to explore Tuscany, maybe see Pisa, and definitely go to Naples, Sorrento, Pompeii and Capri.

Our trip will take us from Rome to Florence to Venice via high speed train. After we say goodbye to our daughter in Venice, I want to go back down to Naples, Sorrento, etc. We prefer traveling via train versus coach. Should we (is there a?) take a train from Venice to Naples? Is there a train that would stop in the Pisa area? Should we skip Pisa this trip and just go from Venice to Naples?

Should we use Naples or Sorrento as our home base to explore Pompeii and Capri?

Any suggestions for this add-on to our trip? Thanks!!
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 04:31 PM

You could easily do a day trip to Pisa from Florence while you are there. There are direct trains between Florence and Pisa. I've spent a few nights in Pisa, but honestly, for most people, a day trip to see the Field of Miracles (including the Tower of Pisa) is adequate if you have limited time.

It should be easy to get to Naples from Venice by train. I don't know if there is a direct train, but there's certainly a direct train from Venice to Rome; at worst you'd have to change in Rome.

Check www.trenitalia.com for times .

You might consider a stop in Bologna - even for a few hours - between Venice and Naples, at least for a meal. Bologna is a lot less touristy than Venice and Florence but the food is outstanding. Bologna is right on the train line so you'll pass through anyway.

Sorrento is a very convenient home base for Pompeii and (apparently) Capri (I visited Pompeii but not Capri when I was there). I did a day trip to Naples. Personally, I didn't care for Sorrento the town and wished I'd stayed in Naples instead. Sorrento seemed like a big tourist trap to me. Naples is a big city and feels quite seedy right around the train station, but away from there it's much nicer. Still, many travelers might feel more comfortable in Sorrento and seem to like it more than I did.

You'll probably need to connect by Circumvesuviana from Naples to Sorrento - it's kind of a light rail train. You connect basically inside the Naples train station. The Circumvesuviana stops at Pompeii, too, on the way to Sorrento, so it's a train you'll likely use more than once.
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 05:18 PM

You know, you can easily visit Pompeii and Capri from either Naples or Sorrento. Although I didn't love Naples, I might return there, but then again, I might not.

I feel the same way about Sorrento.

I would suggest a visit to Naples, a visit to Pompeii, and a visit to Capri, with overnights in both Naples and Capri. You might also consider a short stay in one the Amalfi Coast towns with good service to Capri.

How much time do you have?
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 05:30 PM

Of course, it's a shame you can't reverse the first 10 days, eh? Start in Venice, end in Rome, then when your daughter leaves head south to Naples, instead of backtracking down all the way from Venice? I assume it's too late to change your itinerary now...
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 05:40 PM

Re Napoli vs. Sorrento. I have stayed at both. I liked both places. They offer different things. As others mentioned, for Pompeii and Capri, both are very convenient.

For Amalfi Coast visits, Sorrento is the choice.

Napoli's National Archaeological Museum houses the best artifacts from Pompeii.

Sorrento is more resort like, but with a lot more tourists in the center. The Marina Grande area on the east is less touristy, but the path is uneven and not well lit at night if on foot.

Napoli may not be for everyone. It is more intense and very vibrant in many ways. It is sometimes a shock to Americans to visit Napoli as the first Italian city.
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 05:54 AM

check http://www.italotreno.it/EN/Pages/default.aspx , is a new line railway company to reach Naples, more or less for the same prices but high quality services.
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 04:03 PM

Steph - where did you go?

You said you are retired so I suspect you have extra time.

Given what you described, why not end your daughter's trip in Venice (as I suspect this is already booked) and then you and your husband slowly head south through Tuscany (say 2-3 days (doing Sienna, etc.))and then further south to Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast for another 3-4 days? Effectively this gives you and your husband an extra week and you will easily be able to see Pompeii, Capri, Sorrento (Amalfi home base?), Positano, Amalfi, etc.

Unfortunately, (I presume) you will have to take a train back to Venice to catch your flight - but that would be a nice relaxing day through the Italian countryside and back through Tuscany - as a fond lover of train travel, that is pretty special.

A couple of extra thoughts to consider - you don't have a lot of time but 1) Pisa from Florence can be a 2/3 day side trip and depending on what you have going on may be prudent, 2) Naples is a mixed bag - some like it, some not. Regardless, you have to go through Naples to get to and from the Amalfi Coast so if there are a few things you want to see, a day there is also not a problem - though I suspect after Rome, Florence, and Venice it will not be as appealing to you - I suspect the warmth and local flavor of the Amalfi coast would be a great way to end your holiday.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Dave