Italy with 9 year old kid itinerary question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2003, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm are planning trip to Italy with with my husband and 9 year old son from April 1 - 11 2004. I was thinking to stay in Rome for 4 nights and then 4 nignts in Sorrento. From Sorrento visit Pompeii, Capri, Amalfi coast, Napoli. Is there any suggestions for this plan. Am I missing something? How is the weather going to be for Amalfi Coast /Sorrento? May be it's too cold and we will miss all the excitement. Of cause we are not planning to be on beach and go swimming. But is it pleasant there in the beginning of April?
Any comments will be very much appreciated
Thanks
Mariya
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 08:00 AM

I've been to Rome in March and it's been 80F. If you look up Napoli on worldclimate.com, the avg. temp in April is mid 50s, but that could also mean the highs are in the 70s. If you are hoping for beach weather, I would think it's not likely, but pleasant springlike weather makes for nice travel weather.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 08:14 AM

For me I think the toughest thing would be to move a child around that much. I don't have kids but this is what friends tell me. HECK I am going next week and I am worried about me moving around in that time and taking in a suburb of Florence for a couple of days.

Having said that I have one friend that took her daughter to Egypt one year. They were there for a month and no husband to shoulder the responsiblity. That kid was hiking in sinai early morning. There home base was Cairo but they did venture off like mentioned with stays away from the country captial. All up to what your child can handle.

Whenever I have seen Rick Steves handle this question he says give the child some time to do what they like each day. Having said that he was not dealing with a nine year old but toddlers. I suspect if you are enthusiastic about art and history your child will be too. That has been my personal experience with kids I have traveled with. All you have to do is bring the enthusiasm a young eager classroom teacher might bring.

Worked for me with Hawaiian history and kids.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 08:25 AM
ira

Hi Mariya,

The weather is likely to be pleasant, but not swimming weather.

As for your itinerary, it's not bad. I think that you will probably not make the day in Naples.

You might like to take the ferry from Sorrento to Amalfi to see the coast from the water and then come back by bus on the Coast Road.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 10:34 AM

April is a delightful time to travel. We were in Italy in March and the weather was beautiful. The days were warm 65-75 and the nights just a bit cooler, but definitely not beach weather.

You might want to look at these two sights for ideas for your son:

Kids in Italy: http://www.initaly.com/regions/kids/kidintro.htm

Fund Things to do with Kids: http://www.travelforkids.com/Funtodo/Italy/italy.htm

My husband and I are tossing around the idea of a trip during that same time in April... Have fun planning.