Time of year for Italy

Search

Time of year for Italy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2008, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time of year for Italy

If you could go to Italy any time of the year, when would you go?

My husband and I are seriously considering going to Italy sometime next year - and this will be the first year that we can travel any time of year we want to So for budget planning purposes, I'd like to decide what time of year would be best - so that we know about how long we have to save for the trip.

I think we will stick to Northern Italy for a first trip since we will likely only have 2-2.5 weeks and don't want to spread outselves too thin. Venice is an absolute must-visit place for my husband, so the north makes sense.

Old Feb 1st, 2008, 10:34 AM
ira

Hi J,

>when would you go?

Mid-May to mid-June or mid-Sept to mid-Oct.

Old Feb 1st, 2008, 11:20 AM

Definitely May and early June. Weather is warm but not too hot, flowers/greenery are all out and the days are long - so you can have nice romantic strolls around fountain-lit squares after dinner.

Also- the worst of the tourist rush hasn;t happened yet - so locals are happy to see you and lines aren't long yet.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 11:28 AM

april and early may are good. still not hot and not as crowded.

end of march is iffy and spring breakers are there. we been in florence end of Mar and wasn't bad, but lakes would be cool and damp.

mid-sep to mid-oct good. if go north in Oct could get some wet cool weather on the lakes.

we're going 4-13-23. is little close to Easter, but not having any trouble with rooms in rome or amalfi.

only problem with staying in north, I consider Tuscany north, is that u won't ever want to go anywhere else again. we have to force ourselves to go elsewhere. went to Bavaria and provence last year and are still feeling a little sorry for ourselves because it's been over a year since we were in italy.

enjoy your trip.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 11:34 AM

Mid-April to mid-May--way less crowds and the weather is reasonable.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 12:03 PM

Hi J_Correa, May is beautiful and June can be also although June in say Florence can be quite hot and humid. September can be lovely although I have gotten lots of rain and electrical storms after the middle of September. The weather can change suddenly. Just my experiences. My friends in the north never know what to plan on as the weather is unpredictable.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 12:24 PM

One advantage to the mid-Sept. through October is that it is harvest time for grapes, porcini mushrooms, and truffles, so there are divine dishes in the restaurants that time of year!

Avoid June, July, and August. Hot and crowded! Stay in the main towns so that you can enjoy them after the cruise folks have gone back to their ships. This is even true in florence.

Dare I say that cruise crowds are a pox on the landscape? And if you see the cruise ships docked in Venice you will see what monsters they are and how jarring they look.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 12:52 PM

I'll chime in here and agree with Ira strongly. We've made several trips to Italy in May/June and Sept/Oct and the weather is perfect. Has never been too hot, 70-80 during the day, and into the mid-high 60's at night. That's perfect as far as we're concerned. You can get some good airfares in those time periods also.

[email protected]
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 01:20 PM

another vote for May (or Sept. - but late...early can still be pretty hot)
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. Looks like spring time it is Wildflowers and greenery will make for some nice photography - as will a little inclement weather if it comes our way. Although fall would be nice for the grape harvest, the mushroom harvest is definitely not a plus - more like a hinderance since I can't eat them.

Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 06:09 PM

Ciao J_Correa,

I've traveled to Italy twice with my wife. Once in May and once in September. September is a nice time to travel to Italy. HOWEVER,.... as the young travelers go back to school and other summer travelers leave Italy the older retired european travlers come to Italy and it's very busy. We did meet some very nice european travelers that were very helpful.
By far I agree with all the May travelers. It's warm the landscape is green and the vibrant red poppy flowers are incredible to see. We will be in Italy this May for 3 weeks. If you have 2-3 weeks to travel maybe you could start in Rome and travel north. The tuscany area is beautiful ( Florence, Siena...) You could rent a car for a few days and really see tuscany. I hope this helps with you travel plans. Louie and Vera.