Italy trip for 3 weeks

Old Jul 20th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy trip for 3 weeks

We will be traveling to Italy in April 2010 for 3 weeks, the first week and a half are planned for Rome and lanciano, the next week and a half I would prefer to spend a week in Tuscany with the ability to travel to Florence and other Tuscan cities for day trips. One problem is we would not be on a saturday to saturday schedule for villa rentals if anyone knows of places that can be rented not on a saturday basis and what 2 or 3 hill towns other than Florence would you recommend. The second question for a 3 day stay north east of Florence (not venice) would you recommend.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 10:05 AM

You should probably say more about your interests because there is a great difference between, say, Mantova and the lemon coast of Lago di Garda, or Ravenna and even Bologna. So you want art or wine or risotto or mortadella or mosaics or ceramics or hikes or Fellini or what? Take your pick.

I'm going to warn you that on Fodor's, the minute you mention Tuscany, everybody wants to to steer you south of Siena to Montepulciano, etc. -- which is not at all convenient to Florence.

It is often best to stay right in Firenze (Florence) if you are interested in taking lots of day trips to places like Pisa, Lucca, Siena (Prato, Bologna, blah blah), so you can take the train. You don't want to drive INTO Firenze if at all possible, either to tour it or to return to it.

However, Florence is not hill town, but there is a hill town right above it, Fiesole, with bus and taxi access to the heart of the city. In Fiesole, you can often find good rentals among vinyards and olive groves for less than a week, or non-Saturday arrivals.

http://www.fattoriadimaiano.com/en/apartments/

If you know of villas that you would like, you should contact the owner and see if you can make an arrangement for a non-Saturday arrival. Very often it can be done.

If any of your travel dates coincide with easter, you need to be prepared for higher prices are bigger crowds.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 10:10 AM

Since April is still fairly early in the season, you might want to inquire at the spots that normally only do Saturday to Saturday and see if they can accomodate you.

How far northeast of Florence?

bologna has some sights and wonderful food, then there is Verona, Vicenza and the Lake Garda area a bit farther away.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

our interests these days are less physical and more focused on sight seeing ancient towns and museums in regards to interests above Florence, we have been to Milan, Verona is an idea could you tell me a little about it?
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 11:14 AM

Verona is a terrific destination, with a great castle (now a museum), a great Roman arena, several great piazze, ancient walls, lovely churches, legendary wine. Might be a bit nippy in April. (You need to be aware that April 25 is a big holiday in Italy, so book early if you are traveling anywhere in Italy around that date).

Given your stated interests, I highly recommend that you focus on Tuscan places with easy walking and great well-preserved centers with museums. Those would be: Firenze, Lucca, Pisa and Arezzo, and Siena if you don't mind steep streets. In Lucca, the food at Buca de Sant'Antonio is quintessentially Lucchese and magnificently done. And I still recommend you visit Fiesole for its Roman ruins, if nothing else.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

thanks you gave me some great recommendations and I have been looking into Fiesole it is a must see
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 06:29 PM

Do you want to stay in a hill town or in the country? There are plenty of apartments in the hill towns that will rent for a day or two.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 06:59 PM

If you're looking for an apartment in Verona, a few years ago we stayed here: http://www.knowital.com/veneto/veron...partment1.html The owners were so sweet. They stocked the fridge before we got there, showed us where everything was in the town and we even ran into them a few times during our stay and that really made us feel like locals, to run into friendly people on the street like that.
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

I have not had the best of experiences renting apartments in Italy have rented 3 times in Rome and once in Florence and only once were we pleased with the apartments, web site pictures are always much better than reality? Do you have personal reco's
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 11:09 AM

Verona is also a great place to stay since many train lines intersect there, so there are a number of good daytrip options . . . Vicenza, Padova, Mantova, Lake Garda. . .