Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

bologna or siena for day trip from florence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know most people (and guide books) suggest a day trip from florence to siena, yet I read that bologna is the unheralded jewel of Italy. they are both about the same travel time from florence. We only have 3 1/2 days in florence, so I can only choose one. Which would you choose, and why?
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 09:24 PM

Bologna has the edge for me, but I must tell you the truth that I wouldn't pick either. I'd go to Pisa, which I think is the most unjustly dissed city in the region. The cathedral is one of the most important in Italy and the historic center away from the monuments is quite nice and full of good eats.

But I'd choose Bologna because I didn't like being in Siena, which to me has such a closed in feeling, I just find it not very pleasant. I also am not such a great fan of Sienese paiting -- but that said, the cathedral in Siena and its murals are magnificent.

Bologna is also a walled medieval city, but it's not living in the past. It's a university town, filled with life and business. And of course, its food is legendary. It's museum offerings are quirkier and more intimate.

I think the choice is really between whether you would like to see a true medieval walled city that is incredibly well preserved and rich in artistic treasures. Siena is a wall-to-wall museum, and you cannot be it without getting a feeling for what it must have been like to live 500 years ago in such a place. So much of it hasn't changed at all. It can give you goosebumps.

But if you like the feel of modern life and modern Italy, Bologna is a fascinating mix of the antique and the contemporary. And if you are sick of tourists, head for Bologna. You'll have a hard time finding another one.

But do give some consideration to going to Pisa -- or just staying in Firenze and having an easy day wandering on the other side of the Arno.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 09:34 PM

Hello daisy, I would go to Bologna. It is one of the gems of Italy and it does not have the herd of tourist that Siena has. IMO I would certainly go to Bologna before I would go to Pisa.

BTW, I had 2 emails addresses for you, for some reason now I only have one. If you still have my email address please write to me..so I will know the correct one for you. Thanks!!
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Original Poster

thanks nessumdorma for your response..
actually the 3 1/2 days in Florence factors in a stop in Pisa already! we will leave SML early morning, stop in Pisa (it IS after all, our 1st Italy trip, HAVE to go to Pisa!!) and arrive in Florence mid afternoon.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

Friday May 12 is SML to Florence with Pisa enroute. Saturday May 12 morning reservations for Uffizi, rest of day free. Sunday May 13 morning reservations Accadamia, rest of day free. Monday is the Bologna or Siena day.
ps loveitaly, will email you tonight or tommorow!
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 10:06 PM

daisy, that's great. I hope you won't judge all of Pisa by the tourist shops around the monuments, and I hope you have a moment to savor the interior of the cathedral. If you're hungry, it's good to look for a restaurant away from the monuments, or else bring a picnic in with you.

To tell you the truth, I think you are spending far too little time in Firenze itself. You don't mention the interior of the Bapistery, or the Duomo. Have you considered going to the Museo San Marco to see all the Fra Angelicos or Capella Brancacci or walking through the Boboli gardens to see the views? If you stick to the most heavily touristed museums, I'm concerned you'll not see Firenze.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Original Poster

I am planning (hoping??) to also see the Pitti Palace and Boboli Gardens while in Florence.. ( our hotel is right by the Palace, vivahotel pittipalace)
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 04:06 AM
ira

Hi D,

Since you are going in May, the floor of the Siena Duomo will be covered.

My bias is toward Bologna.

Have you considered Orvieto? Abt 1:30 hr by train.

Old Apr 8th, 2006, 07:07 AM

hI daisy-
I'm afraid you might not be giving Florence enough time. I'm not even a Florence fanatic (I actually prefer Rome) but there is SO much to see and do there. The Duomo, the Duomo museum, the Baptistry, the Bargello, Uffizi, Accademia, the many churches and piazzas...and that's just ONE side of the river! My suggestion would be to stay put and enjoy. Save Siena and Bologna for another trip. You'll come back!!