BOLOGNA OR SIENA TO STUDY?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2003, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to decide between to intensive language course programs (4 wks) - one in Bologna and one in Siena. Both are well reputed schools with similar living circumstances, however, I believe, due to the methodology and expertise of the school and staff itself and the make up of the student body, I will speak better Italian at the end of the Bologna program. I have no familiarity with either city. What are your recommendations based on quality of life and general city impression? thanks.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 03:15 PM

BOLOGNA is a bigger, more urban and more modern city than Siena. There are definitely more people in Bologna (residents not tourists). There are lots of shops and modern conveniences in Bologna. Bologna has an attractive central square and pretty churches but it's very easy to overlook them with all of the modern-ness that surrounds them. Of all of the cities that I've been to in Europe Bologna is the least "typical Italian city" in my opinion. That said, the food in Bologna is INCREDIBLE, so yummy, and the gelato in Bologna is better than any other, in my opinion.
Siena is smaller and more charming than Bologna. It also doesn't hurt that it's in Tuscany and you have beautiful Italian countryside all around you. Siena, to me at least, feels like an old Italian city with modern conveniences. Personally I'd choose Siena but I think it just depends on what you want.
Bottom line: if you want a younger, hipper, more urban city then go to Bologna. If you want a charming and quaint (but at times overrun with tourists) city in the middle of the Tuscan hills then choose Siena. Good luck!
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 03:56 AM

firststreet:
i disagree with the idea that bologna is a very atypical italian city. i really really enjoyed bologna, with its moderness and all. it's university is the oldest in europe, and it is a modern city that still retains its historic roots. in terms of learning italian, bologna is big, so that might cause difficulties, but also it is a lot less touristy than siena. when i went siena and met american students studying there, they had barely learned a word of italian. it was unfortunate.

siena is a beautiful city, but i think, for studying, it wouldn't be as interesting. it's got lots to offer in terms of beauty, but it tends to be somewhat museum-like. i would have to vote for bologna on this one. it will be interesting to see what other people have to say.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 04:02 AM
ira

Hi,

I suggest that you stay in Bologna and visit Siena, Venice, Florence, etc.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 06:36 AM

my son is going to bolonga to study italian next year. We were in both cities last year and he would definitely prefer to be in bolonga, especially since it's so close to Modena the home of Ferrari!!
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 07:11 AM
cmt

I can't answer from experience. I've been to Siena a few times and love it, but was in Bologna for only a few hours many years ago. (My guess is that Bologna might be a better choice for this study.)

I suggest asking your question on the Italian Language forum: http://forums.about.com/ab-italian/start/?lgnF=y There's a topic category for just this type of question. Also one of the best and friendliest regulars on that forum lives in Bologna and he might be able to answer a lot of questions for you.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 08:40 AM

Another vote for Bologna. Bologna, while less pitoresque, is far less touristy ando more lively, with a cultural life that does not compare to Siena. Siena is beter for a short visit, but Bologna will offer you the occasion to really get in touch with Italian daily life. Besides, Although Siena is right in the middle of Tusany, Bologna offers you a wider range of daytrips for the week-ends (since it is an important railway hub and also the junction of two of the main autostrade plus very close to the autostrada that leads to Verona): Firenze, Venezia, Verona, Ferrara, Modena, Parma, Milano, can easily be reached witha few hours (or even less than an hour) of travelling. Finally, in case you really want to spend a day by the seaside, the coast of the Adriatic Sea (the less inspiring of all the Italian coasts, be forewarned!) is very close.
Since you will not be spending a few days but a full month (more or less) in one city you should try to be in the city that grants the highiest standards of life, and Bologna has the highiest standards of life of all the main Italian cities and towns.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 09:37 AM

The point of going somewhere to learn the language is that you can cut yourself off (nearly) entirely from your native language and so are forced to use the new one. The relatively larger the tourist presence the more likely you'll be to backslide. Both Siena and Bologna have English-speaking tourists, but Bologna's large population tends to dilute it out a bit.

Alice Twain's points about Bologna's being a rail hub and having great cultural life are exactly right. Great standard of living, very vibrant place.
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 04:25 AM

While I will agree that Bologna is a good place to study I also think Siena is wonderful. I came to study the language 9 years ago this September and I am still here (Siena). I did not meet up with tourists or other English speaking people but instead found people from Siena who showed me a wonderful city full of sites that many will never see. Bologna may be bigger with more things to do but that doesn't always mean that you will learn more. Many people I know who went to Bologna ended up meeting lots of people who spoke English so they never really had to try in Italian.
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 04:34 AM
ira

Hi siena_us,
I can sympathize. I have trouble learning languages, too. &gt
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 04:59 AM

Since either would be a great home base, if it was me, the deciding factor would be the actual course itself, i.e., which one do you think would be the better one for you! And, based on your comments, I would think that would be Bologna. (PS: It's a wonderful city!)
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 09:35 AM

Hey Ira,

I guess my English skills are going out the window too Should have said that I loved Siena so much that after the course that I stayed.
Old May 1st, 2003, 02:56 PM
RAR

As a foreign student studying in Bologna, I would say Alice was exactly right when she said that Bologna is less touristy ando more lively. You don't want to stay in a touristy place for your month.. you want to be in a real Italian city, surrounded by the language. That's not real easy to do in Siena, do to the tourists that flock there. Plus Bologna's nightlife and culture far exceed what you find in Siena.
Old May 7th, 2003, 01:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input - Bologna it is!
Old May 7th, 2003, 04:19 AM
RAR

God I just reread my reply and realized how far downhill my english has gone since moving here.