Italy - Trains

Oct 8th, 2002, 03:30 PM
Suzanne

Italy - Trains

Is this web site pretty accurate about the routes and prices?
http://www.footloosetravel.com/rail_map/Itmap.htm

Oct 8th, 2002, 03:59 PM
rar

www.trenitalia.it

Oct 8th, 2002, 04:18 PM
Suzanne

rar,

Is there a route map at trenitalia, I can't find one?

I have a hard time using the "Official Timetable TRENITALIA" search feature. It keeps coming up with errors, like when I did a search for Rome to Venice. footloosetravel.com says Rome to Venice is $45 USD, very easy!

I am hopeing someone out there has seen a train route map of Italy recently and has some idea if this one is accurate. I also hope that someone reading this post has been on one of these routes recently and knows what they paid.

Oct 8th, 2002, 04:36 PM
rar

that would be the official site for italian rails.. so the prices there would be the definite ones. plus they give you all the options (eurostar train, intercity, etc). can use the timetable as a pseudo route map.

Oct 8th, 2002, 04:45 PM
Suzanne

rar,
First of all I need the visual aid and second of all it doesn't do me any good if I get error messages from the site (not my computer).

Oct 8th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Suzanne

I finally got the trenitalia site to tell me times for Rome to Venice, but it says "NO" in the "BUY" column so I still have no idea how much it costs. Any suggestions rar or anybody else?

Oct 8th, 2002, 05:14 PM
rar

Try different day/time basically. Trenitalia's site isnt the best but eventually you'll get the info you are lookin for.

And cut the lame attitude. The errors btw are on your computer, this comp I use is an old piece of junk and has no probs with their site.

Oct 8th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Tess

Suzanne,

Gave a quick glance on the 'footloosetravel' site and compared it to what the price of Rome-Venice Eurostar route costs; yes, it's correct. On www.trenitalia.com (gets you to same place as www.trenitalia.it) the ES costs $45 for second class (44.93 euros) and $67 for first class (67.14 euros). Once you've entered your from/to cities and are looking at a table of info, click on the first column on your left (it's titled 'Select' with each entry is numbered) --- that brings up a sub-menu which will give you further info on that route as well as the prices.

Oct 8th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Tess

Suzanne,

One more place to check to get the train's itinerary on a route --- again, pull up a selection on trenitalia; click on "Select" column to look at one row's sub-menu; while there, click underneath the "Train" column (it'll be the train no.) and that will bring up a list itemizing each of the stations you'll be stopping at.

Oct 8th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Suzanne

Thank you Tess, you have just unlocked doors for me. Muchly appreciated!
~Suzanne