Why is amalfi coast bad in the winter?

Oct 8th, 2002, 02:39 PM
whynot

Why is amalfi coast bad in the winter?

I was planning to go to the Amalfi coast in dec/jan but I was told that is a bad time to go. I wanted to go for 5 days for the scenery that I have heard so much about so won't it be there in winter too??!

Oct 8th, 2002, 02:57 PM
nina

Good question, I wondered the same thing. Many hotels shut down for the winter there. Is it that bad during the winter months?

Oct 8th, 2002, 02:59 PM
sceptic

You sound like the same person who was afraid to go to Venice in winter. who is "telling" you all these negative things? And why are you listening to them? And why are you posting these non-questions?

Yes, of course the scenery will be there in winter. It will not look quite the same as it does in spring or summer. It will be much less crowded than in spring or summer, but not "scary." Sigh....

Oct 8th, 2002, 03:08 PM
whynot

sceptic- I honestly do not remember asking about venice?! Nobody told me anything but all the threads under amalfi sugguested not to go in winter, that is all.

Oct 8th, 2002, 03:50 PM
Tess

I've been to Positano in May and in October; so even I can't say what it'll be like during the winter. Given that, I'd have to agree with others that it's not a place to visit during December/January. You really can't compare it to Venice --- apples/oranges. Venice is a much larger city than Positano/Amalfi/Ravello and has alot more going on, even during the slow season.

Oct 8th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Mary

Many hotels that close in the winter do reopen for the Christmas holidays. Even if you're not going for the holidays, you can stay in Sorrento and take the local train to Naples for a day if it's too quiet. My guidebook says Sorrento has a population of 20,000 so they can't very well shut down completely in the winter.

Oct 8th, 2002, 06:34 PM
x

Having been there in the winter, here's my opinion. It's an outdoor, "atmospheric," coastal destination. Nothing much indoors, except for a church or two. Not like Rome or Florence where you spend a good deal of time in museums etc. If the sun is not shining, it's quite unpleasantly cold and there's nothing to do.