Search

Italy training with luggage forwarding

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 02:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy training with luggage forwarding

Can anyone help please?
I am working on my itinerary for train travel in Italy. Because of some physical limitations I want to use the service which allows luggage to be forwarded without my muscle.

Trenitalia website > Other Services > Luggage transport > Easy luggage (TNT)> Check out our delivery times >
now I’m in trouble it’s in Italian!! Italian lessons not starting for a fortnight! What is CAP? What is localita? What is provincia?
Thing is even when I figure out what CAP, localita and provincia mean, then I enter the correct data the reply is going to be in Italian. My Italian lessons don't start for two weeks!
Trying to establish if I can use this service for: Rome to Naples – hotel to hotel; Naples to Florence – hotel to hotel; Florence to Padua – hotel to hotel; Padua to Bergamo – hotel to hotel - want to spend 3 or 4 days in Bergamo and use it as base to Lake Como for a day; Bergamo to Bern – hotel to hotel – this crosses the border however.

Anyone else used this service, know anything about it or can anyone suggest an English version or information?
Thanks to all
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 02:25 AM

I dont know the service, but try google translate - I just copy and paste it in and usually I can figure out what they are saying. Or try to paste it here and hopefully someone who speaks Italian can help? You may want to repost it with Help with Italian Translation in the title?
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 02:56 AM
Original Poster

thanks jamikins. I do at least now have it in English! Google toolbar plays havoc with my Internet Explorer (script errors)but shall simply turn it off when I don't need it.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 02:57 AM

It says right on the English-language page of Trenitalia that the service is for travelers using the Frecciarossa and Frecciargento trains. The website also states:

This service is available from Monday to Friday from 8:30 to 19:00. The service is only active in major cities on Saturday and Sunday (Turin, Milan, Bologna, Florence, Rome, Naples, Salerno, Venice, Bari) and different charges apply.

There is also a telephone number you can call.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 03:06 AM

PS: I don't believe there is Frecciarossa or Frecciargento service between Padua and Bergamo, or to Bern. But you can see that by looking at the train schedules on Trenitalia.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks zeppole. I already knew that. It was in English. I don't think it's available to Bergamo either.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 03:41 AM

You should probably try calling the number given on the website to see how well they handle an English-speaking caller, because even after your Italian lessons, you will find conversing on the telephone one of the more difficult things to do in a new language. To use the service in Italy, you need to call them in advance, so you don't want to think you're "covered" having understood everything on-line, but then find out you can't negotiate the service in Italy when you need it.

Of course your hotels can help you if all else fails, but it might be much easier if you called now and found out if there are English-speakers there. If you find them, I'd ask for their names and their extension numbers.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

Yes Zeppole. My thoughts exactly. That would be my next step. See what I find through the web service page and then follow up with phone call. Shall have to find an Italian friend to do it for me I suspect. My italian class will probably have me to the level of "Hello" and "Goodbye". I do need to be sure of it before I travel.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 04:43 AM

No, no. Call them yourself. From where you live. If you can't get through to an English-speaker, then have an Italian speaker call. I am only guessing, but I think they have set up this service for foreign travelers as well as Italian travelers, so they should have some English speaking staff. If you get such a person on the phone, quiz them about how to best use the system when you are in Italy, and how to always make sure you can find an English speaker when you call.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Well translate worked until I submitted it and then the answer on "continue" came back in Italian and no translation available. "Resort" as translated, I took to mean the name of the Hotel or its address but no luck there (unintelligible to me drop down boxes). I hope I have had a brainwave. I have submitted my problem/question to the Italian Tourist Bureau here in Australia. If they want me to go to Italy as much as I want to go, I should get an answer to all my questions including the availability of English speaking staff. Then I shall phone myself. Thanks and goodnight to all.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 07:01 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
FYI - It says your luggage will be delivered by the end of the next day. Do you really plan to be without your luggage for a day every time you take a train?
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

I do plan to have it delivered the next day. Send it on the day before I leave and travel on train with day pack the next day. Arrive at hotel and luggage awaits me. Seems a solution to my luggage handling problems and will form the basis for my travelling. Once I establish how to use it with confidence I shall be a very happy "Vegimite".
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 02:24 AM

Don't forget either that plenty of Italians have their baggage shipped separately, and most hotels will know of an agent locally.

Some even feature such things on their websites... though rarely on the pages in English!

Not sure they'd necessarly allow too hectic a series of moves, but here are a couple of examples from Ischia as an idea of what to search for...

http://www.hotelulisse.com/hotel-isc...o-bagagli.html

http://www.leroseresidence.it/servizi-extra.php

Peter
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 10:16 PM

Hi 2012moving, did you eventually use the Trenitalia luggage forwarding service? Am contemplating it for my trip and would like to know what you think of it.

Thanks!!