Need help with train strikes in Italy

Feb 21st, 2009, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Need help with train strikes in Italy

Ever since seekitaly.com took their site down a couple of years ago, I've not had much luck looking up scheduled train strikes in advance of my trips. I currently use http://www.commissionegaranziasciopero.it/ but most of the strikes listed there are from early February and January. I find it hard to believe there are no strikes scheduled for all of March (this is Italy we're talking about!). Does anyone have a better site for scheduled train strikes in Italy?

BTW, I know there are usually some trains still running during a strike, but I'm trying to schedule my traveling to avoid strike days altogether. Someone help me, please!
Feb 21st, 2009, 09:43 AM

Search google (in advanced mode and after stipulating Italian as the language) for

sciopero treni Marzo 2009

and you get the results. Swap out the month if necessary.

For example I see Trasporti: due giorni di sciopero dei treni il 14-15 marzo at www.romagnaoggi.it/emilia/2009/2/15/115869

Another site that announces strikes is
it.biz.yahoo.com/notizie-scioperi/.
Feb 21st, 2009, 10:04 AM

I see a national train strike on March 14/15 on the Commissione Web site...

You can click on the picture of the calendar and then on Nazionali if you don't want to wade through all the little local and regional strikes.

Feb 21st, 2009, 10:26 AM

Trenitalia lists the strike proof trains. Scroll down and click on the region you need (sorry, but this part of the website is in Italian).
http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...003f16f90aRCRD
Feb 21st, 2009, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

I was looking at the wrong dates on the Commissione site. Indeed, there is a strike that I need to know about. Is the bus station in Bologna located on the east side of the stazzione? I will need to get from Bologna to Pisa on Sunday 15 March. Not having any luck finding bus schedules to Florence or Pisa. Need more help!
Feb 21st, 2009, 03:26 PM

sorry in advance Holly for hi-jacking your thread but I am now wondering what I should expect in the event of a strike. I know nothing about the how's/why's/when's and what to do if there is one during our June trip.

Can anyone explain the in's/out's of it?
Feb 21st, 2009, 05:06 PM

Strikes in italy are a frequent occurrence and Italians are very used to them. Train and airline strikes in Italy are announced ahead of time and are for a set number of hours, anywhere from 4-24 hours. Often the workers might even go "off strike" for set periods of time within the strike. For example, on a visit to Rome, during a bus and local train strike, a certain number of workers went back on duty from 5-8pm so people could get home. On other visits, I've experienced a strike just for the morning, or just until 5pm. During a national train strike, certain key trains are guaranteed to run. Often strikes are posted some months in advance, but later are cancelled.
Feb 21st, 2009, 05:20 PM

If memory serves me right I believe the Italian law states that the strikes have to be announced 2 weeks in advance. And yes they are sometimes cancelled. And as ellenem said certain key trains are guarranted to run.

If staying at a hotel they can advise the current situtation too.
Feb 21st, 2009, 05:48 PM

I'm getting worried now. We're supposed to be taking a train from Florence to Rome on March 15. If there is a national train strike that day, what would be other options? Bus? Car rental?
Feb 21st, 2009, 05:52 PM

If you are concerned, just use the link I gave above and book one of the trains guanteed to run.
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:16 PM

Thanks kybourbon, but I can't figure it out. I know I'm looking for a train going from Firenze S. M. Novella to Roma Termini, but I don't see one under the Lazio or the Toscano link. I'm not sure that even the correct way of finding the train I'd need. I tried translating the page using babelfish, but I can't understand all of it.
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

It would appear that the list of guaranteed trains doesn't include Sunday. The combination I'm thinking of working (kybourbon's link) includes a train from Prato to Florence at 8:43. There is no such train on Sunday 15 March, but it exists on weekdays. Are there no guaranteed trains for Sunday strikes?
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

As for your predicament, sandyy, I'm not seeing anything on the guaranteed train link from Florence to Rome. And you'll likely run into the same problem I'm having with Sunday schedules. If I were you, I'd either (a) look for bus schedules (hope you have better luck than I've had), or (b) change your itinerary to travel on Saturday before 9 pm, or on Monday.
Feb 21st, 2009, 08:18 PM

You might not be able to book a direct train from Florence to Rome. You might have to book Florence/? and catch another train ?/Rome, but the trains might not be at the time you need with difficult connections. The trains that will be running are more for Italians than tourists so there may be a 6 am train to Rome so people can get to work, but might be the only one that day with a return train after work. Here is an English site for the strikes. Notice the airport strikes too in case they affect you.
http://www.summerinitaly.com/planning/strike.asp

I don't know of any bus from Florence to Rome (perhaps SITA?), but I would assume there is one. There appears to be several strike proof trains listed from Florence to Siena early morning(or you could take the Siena Mobilita bus - 70 minutes). From Siena you can catch the Sena bus to Rome (3 hours). I would at least get an idea of a backup plan or consider a rental car. Many of the trains that will be running are R trains which means no seat reservations and they will be crowded so you might be standing the whole time.

For Sena bus between Siena/Rome - www.sena.it
For bus between Florence/Siena - http://www.sienamobilita.it/EN/index.html
Feb 21st, 2009, 09:26 PM

To find a Florence-Rome train, you have to click the link just above the region list called:

"Treni a lunga percorrenza garantiti in caso di sciopero non superiore alle 24 ore, ricadente in giornata festiva e con inizio alle ore 21.00 del giorno prefestivo"

Roughly translated by Babelfish:

"Guaranteed trains to long distance in case of not advanced strike to the 24 hours, falling back in festive day and with beginning to hours 21,00 of the prefestive day"

There you'll see a long list of IC, ES, and AV trains. there are a number of trains that begin at MIlano Centrale and end in Roma Termini which should go via Florence.
Feb 21st, 2009, 09:41 PM

Thanks Ellen. Does that mean the only trains sandyy could book would be the two Milan/Rome AV ones (9449 or9451)? They only give the departure time from Milan so you would have to look at schedules to see what time they normally stop in Florence.
Feb 21st, 2009, 09:43 PM

I guess the ES Venice to Rome would stop in Florence too.
Feb 22nd, 2009, 05:59 AM

Thanks for the help everyone. At least I have some options to work with.
Feb 22nd, 2009, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Still hoping someone can help me out with bus schedules from Bologna on a Sunday. Not having any luck after googling for two days...
Feb 22nd, 2009, 07:28 AM

Holly - Click on the link I gave (2/21 2:26 pm post). Then click as Ellen instructed (2/22 1:26 am). This gives you a list of trains. You will have to play around with Trenitalia to determine which ones you can use as the list of strike-proof train only gives the start city (in your case probably Milan) and the end city (perhaps Florence or Rome). If you select Milan to Florence on Trenitalia as if you were booking a train ticket(just enter a date within the next week), then when you get the list of trains click on details. When that screen appears, click on the train number on the left-hand side. A box will pop-up which lists all the stops for that train and you will see most (all?) AV trains make a stop in Bologna. Go back to the list of strike-proof trains, get the train numbers of some of the Milan/Florence trains that are guaranteed and double-check the stops for those particular trains to make sure you will be able to board in Bologna. Book by train number.

For Florence to Pisa which is mostly local r trains, use the other strike list. There might also be a bus (try the Lazzi bus- I know it goes to Lucca, but not sure about Pisa) which you can catch in Florence outside the train station.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO