Italy to Munich

Jan 31st, 2008, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Italy to Munich

My wife and I are flying in to Rome and out of Munich based on an earlier itinerary that has since fallen through. Late April early May 2008.

We fly into Rome, will be there for two days. I have spent a week in Rome 9 years ago.

After Rome We are taking a train to Genoa to spend the night. My wife and I are then meeting two other couples to take a 7 day cruise out of Genoa. After the cruise we are spending a couple of days in Cinque Terre.

My question involves the next part of the trip. We have 8 days before we fly out of Munich. I am thinking of spending 3 days in Munich at the end. But, how to get to Munich? I thought of taking a train through Switzerland and then going to Munich. Or going to Verona from CT then to Bolzano or Innsbruck, then Munich. I would also really like to get to Salzburg, too, if not too hard. Maybe instead of Innsbruck.

Any opinions? I have never been to any of the places mentioned except Rome. I was in Venice this year so have no interest in going back there. Have also been to Florence, Lake Como and Lugano in the past.
Jan 31st, 2008, 10:29 AM
ira

Hi T,

From www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html
Click "Smart Price"

"Munich starting from 29 euros
On the day trains, leaving from Rome, Milan, Venice, Verona and Bolzano for Munich, 29 euros for a seat in 2nd class.

On the Night Trains leaving from Naples, Rome and Florence for Munich: seat in 2nd class starting from 29 euro; couchette in 6-place compartment starting from 39 euro, couchette in 4-place Comfort car starting from 49 euro, bed in 3-place compartment starting from 59 euro, bed in double compartment starting from 69 euro, bed in single compartment starting from 129 euro.

Jan 31st, 2008, 11:13 AM

You have the right idea---Verona, Bolzano etc.---but I would definately prefer Salzburg over Innsbruck. You pick the nites, but leave time for Salzburg---I think 2 nites is ample in Munich.
Jan 31st, 2008, 03:34 PM

Hi,
You say you have 8 days before flying out of Munich. I'd also suggest 2 nights for Salzburg and 2 nights for Munich.

I also would skip Innsbruck, but as an alternative, I'd stay 2 nights in Hall in Tirol, just 6 miles east of Innsbruck. Very nice old town with the same Alp backdrop as Innsbruck. We've stayed here on 3 seperate trips and can highly recommend...
www.badl.at
The train station is 5 min.walk from Gasthof Badl and 5 min. walk to the old town pedestrian zone.

Another alternative on your way could be Mittenwald, Germany. Gorgeous Bavarian village. In our opinion, the quintessential Bavarian village. Again, the train station is a very easy walk to the old town center.

Bolzano/Bozen is nice (especially the Museum of Archaeology, where the "Ice Man" resides), but yet another alternative is Brixen/Bressanone, about an hour or so north of Bolzano/Bozen. Very beautiful old town with a very large pedestrian zone, shops, cafes, etc. plus a facinating museum...Diocesan Museum Brixen. We were here 2 years ago and just loved everything about this town.

www.brixen.org

Hope this helps.

Paul

Jan 31st, 2008, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I will think about Brixen and only two days in Munich.
Jan 31st, 2008, 04:27 PM

I also prefer Salzburg over Innsbruck, but I love Munich and 3 days is not too much, IMO.

Search this Thread