Search

Munich

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich

I am planning to stay in Munich in the end of June/beginning of July. I am looking for a budget hotel in a good location because I will be walking as much as possible. Any suggestions?
Also, I would like to stay in a small town around Munich to see the countryside. I have heard that Dachau is nice. Any opinions and suggestions would be greatly appriciated. Thanks!
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 08:58 AM

You might want to post your question with a title such as

"Need budget Munich hotel and info on small town near Munich"

You might get more reponses that way

I stayed at a hostel very near the trian station in Munich in August 2002. It was clean and quiet, but a bare necessities type of place. The name is in the Let's Go Germany book.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 09:35 AM

"I have heard that Dachau is nice"
Unbelievable!
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 09:46 AM

Hey Jeff,

I ***think*** (not certain) that there is a town of Dachau that is close to the concentration camp of the same name...

I assumed that Lisa220 was talking about the town.

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 10:26 AM

Yes, of course there's a town of Dachau - from which the concentration camp derived its name. The town was there first. It actually is a nice place, but some 11 miles from Munich. I'm not sure how you define "budget" - I'll be leaving for Munich in a week, staying at the Concorde, which is in a great location a couple blocks from the Marienplatz. We were quoted rates of 82 Euro single, 113 Euro double.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 04:12 PM
MaureenB

Don't know your budget, but the Hotel Uhland in Munich is a great value. A B&B type of place, in a converted mansion near the Oktoberfest park in a very nicely treed and semi-residential neighborhood. It's about a ten minute walk to the train depot. Good breakfast buffet, lovely rooms, great service. Even free bikes to borrow, and nice bike paths from there to the river.

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to those who offered useful information. I apologize to those who were confused by my comments about Dachau. Dachau, the town, has been around much longer than the camp and I have heard that is is a nice place to stay. I was not aware that I needed to clarify that I did not want to stay in Dachau, the concentration camp. Yes, this is the first time I have posted. Next time I will try to make my intentions more clear for you, jeff.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 04:28 AM
JN

Give it a rest, Jeff. No need to be rude. She's asked a question, so either choose to answer it or leave it alone.

I am curious, though, how is it you're able to divine trolls? And if they are trolls, what benefit do readers of this board derive from your calling them out?
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 04:42 AM
rex

Jeff is the only person on this thread exhibiting some troll-like behavior; trolls come back and re-post frequently adding one snippet or another designed to incite emotional responses.

I have only seen a brief glimpse of Dachau the town. I think it has a centuries' old reputation as an artists' colony, and there is a splendid building up on this hill with a fantastic view of the Munich skyline off in the distance. It's like a big ballroom or something; I don't remember what its original purpose, nor its name. As with many German towns, one good place to start for info is www.cityname.de - - i.e. www.dachau.de - - though theirs is all in German only.

Landshut is another great small(-er) town outside Munich - - about 40 miles, though it's more or less the same distance from the airport (20-ish miles?) as is Munich itself.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 10:53 AM

I think you need to give Jeff a break. After all, Dachau is not the first small town aound Munich that you think of as
"nice".

In the 4 or 5 years I have been checking this web site, this is the first time I remember Dachau being mentioned other than the camp.

Curious
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 11:21 AM
rex

<<In the 4 or 5 years I have been checking this web site, this is the first time I remember Dachau being mentioned other than the camp>>

Wrong.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34519989
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 04:16 PM

Lisa
re: Budget lodging
You may wish to try
[email protected]
We stayed there for a week in October 2003 I have a reservation to stay there again in May 2005.
Shoulder season is 70 euro/night for a double w/ bath. The price will probably be higher for peak season when you will be going.
The location is good as the tram stop is just outside the door and the U-Bahn stop ,Isartor, is within walking distance.You can take the U-Bahn from the airport and get off at Isartor
Go to Michelin maps on the web and bring up Thierschstraffe36 80538 and you can get an idea where Pension Beck is located from the main part of town
With an all day U-Bahn/Tramcard you can hop on and off the tram and save a lot of walking.
Enjoy your stay.

Old Mar 6th, 2005, 01:13 AM

I also liked Hotel Uhland. The price is good, the staff is friendly, they have free internet access and they offer an ample breakfast buffet. It's not the most central spot, but I enjoyed the walk to the train station and the shopping area.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 05:07 AM

We also liked the Hotel Uhland. While it isn't very far to the main train station, it is just a one minute or so walk to a bus stop on a route that goes to the train station. It is also just about a three or four minute walk to an underground station. Melissa was right about the ample breakfast. For summer, you should know that there is an ice machine in the lobby.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 07:22 AM

Lisa,

As has been suggested, Munich's Hotel Uhland is quite worthy of your consideration. My wife and I have stayed at this fine and friendly accommodation during our past two trips to Germany, and I wouldn't hesitate staying there a third time. While not centrally located, the Uhland is nicely situated (a quiet, leafy neighborhood, and a ten-minute stroll to the subway), along with the amenities you'd expect from a fine small hotel. 24-hour front-desk service is a pleasant surprise. In short, the Uhland represents very good value-for-money.

Do check-out the Uhland.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 10:35 AM

Rex,

That's a real stretch! How can you not go to Dachau and not think about the "camp" that is right in town? How could the people of Dachau ignore what was going on there?

I know that the people of Dachau are trying to "reinvent" their town. I believe if you have any interest in WWll history, you would be "sleepless in Dachau". Way too many other "nice" towns in the area, in my opinion.

Curious

Dick
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 03:37 PM

We stayed in the Hotel Uhland and thought it a good value with friendly staff. As far as the Dachau business goes, I would hardly consider the town to be a glimpse of the "country." We went to Dachau on our way to Munich, and felt as though the trip from Dachau to Munich was like driving from Oakbrook (IL) to Chicago. If you want to have a taste of the countryside, go south and either east or west of Munich.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 05:22 PM

There are also some American hotels near Munich. But becareful if you stay there, it was the only place in Germany I ate American food, and my sister and I had to send our food- chicken nuggets, back because they didn't cook them!
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 05:34 PM

The Uhland is nice and it is near a UBahn Stop at Treeisenweisse (Oktoberfest Grounds). Also for your consideration are the hotel right around the train station. La Maridian, Drei Lowen, and Drei Lowen Residence, Deutsches Theater. It is very close to Karls Tor which is the beginning of the fussganger zone. If you are looking further out than Dachau you might either look to the South of Munich in B'gaden, or Garmish or on the Romantic road at Dinkelsbuhl.