Italy Questions!

Search

Italy Questions!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy Questions!

My husband and I are looking at going to Italy in late May or early June. My problem is that we having trouble narrowing down where to go. I know we will go to Rome (since my husband is really into ancient Rome) but can't decide between Florence or Venice. I'm very into photography and think Venice would be so awesome to photograph. How far is Venice from Rome on the train? Is it just a better idea to stay in Rome the whole time and take the train to other areas? We're looking at spending no more than 5G's on the cost of the trip.
Also, any hotel recommendations for Rome?
Thanks for any help you can give. I got great advice for our London trip this past summer.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 10:32 AM

littlehouse

Could you give some details as to the length of your trip? That might bethe deciding factor. It's about 5 hours by train, Rome-Venice.

I wouldn't tarry too long about your plans, that time of year is very popular.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

We're looking at 8-10 days. I've checked into some days in Rome and some in Vencie but the prices were closer to 6G's. We don't live near a big city so our options on limited on good air deals.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 10:52 AM

Hi,
Where do you live? I have gone to Italy for three weeks and spent less 6G. What hotels are looking at? Anyway, I would fly into Rome and spend 4 days, train to Florence for 2 days, train to Venice for for 2-3 days and fly home from there. That is for a 10 day vacation, not including travel between USA and Italy. Whatever you so it will great.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

We live in Springfield, Missouri. The nearest big city airport is 3 hours away. If you have any suggestions on where to find good deals please let me know I'm all ears. I've looked at the Condotti 29 in Rome, Hotel Berchielli in Florence and the Carlton & Grand Canal Hotel in Venice.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 01:29 PM
ira

Hi,

Which big city airports are near you?

How much are you budgeting for hotels?
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 01:37 PM

Hmm I've done all three places +Tuscany for less than 2k...but we didn't stay in very fancy places and we divided $$ between 4 of us..

Personally I think each place has something different to offer, you're right Rome is great for the history fanatics, Venice is beautiful to photograph and very romantic, and Florence is great for Michaelangelo's David, shopping at the markets, and just enjoying the greatest Renaissance paintings at the Uffizi...

I"d do 3 Rome, 2 in Florence, 2 in Venice....3 days for travelling - depending on how your flights are...

Rome to Venice we took an overnight train so we saved on a hotel room and on time and reached Venice at 7:00am in the morning. Spent the whole day/night in Venice and pushed off for Florence the next day. But it looks like you have time, so you can actually spend 2 days in Venice.
Check venere.com for flats/guesthouses...we stayed at Locanda Barbarigo in Venice - beautiful place.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 01:39 PM

Oh and if you don't mind sharing bathrooms(they were very clean and we have a private sink in our room with a mirror) you can check out locanda starlight in Florence. This is a house converted to rentals 5 minutes from the train station and walking distance to Academia and Duomo.

Also check Eurocheapo.com for accomodations.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 04:26 PM

Hi,
The hotels you are looking at are expensive. Indeed if you want 4 or 5 star hotels, the money will add up. Go to www.venere.it or .com and see what they have to offer that is lovely, but less expensive. Start with the 3 star hotels. I think you will find some very nice accomodations. Good luck
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 04:35 PM

There are many nice, charming 3* hotels in great areas (with bathrooms ensuite). If you do Rome/Venice, make sure you fly in and out of the respective airport. Any of those places are great photo opportunities. The small hill towns of Umbria and Tuscany are also very picturesque. You may consider renting a car to drive from Rome to Venice (or Florence), and spend 1 night on the road, and making stops in some of the towns. The drive between the 2 cities is pretty easy (the hardest part is getting out of Rome, once on the highway, it's no problem). In Rome we staye at the Santa Chiara, in VEnice, Hotel FLora. Both of these are very nice hotels and moderately priced. Check tripadvisor and do text searches here to read about any hotels that may interest you.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 04:40 PM

If you want to get inspired for the trip, check out Bailey Zimmerman's photos of Italy on this site: http://www.pbase.com/baileyzim

Susan
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 11:45 AM

Just got back last night. Planning to post a trip report soon. In the meantime, wanted to tell you not to base a stop in Florence on seeing David. A restoration effort on the statue is underway, and scaffolding partially obstructs your view.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed our visit to the Accademia. I also loved Florence and think it is a no-brainer to stop there on any trip that includes Rome and Venice. I just want to make sure that you know this work is going on, because others have recommended Florence based solely on this statue (thereby completely underselling this wonderful city).

As for hotels we tried to stay within a reasonable budget (to us anyway..) while going for good locations. We stayed at Albergo Sole in Rome, Hotel Perseo in Florence, and Antica Locanda Gambero (aka Hotel Gambero) in Venice.

Albergo Sole was in a good location, right off of Campo Dei Fiori. It also has a nice little roof terrace area. That's all the good I can write about it. The rate was high (125 Euro), our room was noisy - Room 414 - right under the Director's apartment and they were up at 6:00am each day. We think one of the couple was practicing for a tap dancing recital while the other must have been rehearsing for a parade. The room was sparsely decorated, and the shower did not drain well, so the stall would fill with water. There was a TV in the room. Breakfast is not included, and payment was required in cash.

Hotel Perseo in Florence was also in a good location. It is one block from the Duomo, on one of the main streets. The staff was very friendly. The rate was 98 Euro per night. Breakfast is included (cereal, rolls, croissants, yogurt, coffee, juice, etc...) A computer with internet access is available. There was a sign next to it with prices posted, but they just let everyone use it. Our room - 314 - faced a courtyard. It was decorated somewhat more nicely than Albergo Sole, though still nothing special. No TV. Apart from rowdy neighbors on night, the room was quiet. Decent place for the money.

Antica Locanda Gambero in Venice was the gem among the three hotels. It was located between Rialto and St. Marks. The area is somewhat touristy, but quite convenient to shopping and transportation to the rest of the city. The rate was 110 Euro. The room - room 305 - was decorated in the typical Venetian fashion. It was very nice. And the bathroom was modern, spotless and spacious. This was the only room with a mini-bar (which we use as a fridge). We were canal-side (though you had to stick your head out the window and look down to see the canal It was quiet. Breakfast was included, and was better than the Perseo breakfast. There was free internet access from a computer in the salon. The only issue with this hotel is that there was no elevator. So we carried our bags up/down three flights. Otherwise we loved it there. And compared to the other two, especially taking into account that Venice is supposed to be pricier than the other two cities, this was by far the best value. Great way to end our trip.