10 days in early Oct. Northern Italy suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am travelling with my girlfriend. She has never been to Italy and I want her to fall in love with it so she can better understand my obsession. I know she will love it, but now I feel too much pressure to plan the perfect 10 day trip. We will be leaving the beginning of Oct. and I am open to all suggestions from places, to hotels, to activities and food. Also should we try driving some of it???? No Mountains or cities, but maybe from Rome to Sienna?
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 05:13 PM

Don't build it up to her so that she is expecting a perfect trip. Perfection is quite difficult to achieve in travel--there is just too much that you cannot control. What does she enjoy--nature and the outdoors, art, nightlife, food, peace and quiet, excitement?
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

She likes a little of everything, but food and Italian culture would be high on the list. We are both 45 so as for nightlife.... a great dinner, a long walk, people watching until midnight, then some gelato would be pretty fun.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 05:51 AM

Your post is confusing. You say " north" then list Rome and Siena--hardly north. No cities--define cities.
With 10 days, I would do Lago Orta, Portovenere, and Lucca.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 06:08 AM
ira

Hi Pan,

The usual first-time trip is Rome, Florence and Venice, and for good reasons.

I suggest
Fly into Venice - spend 3 days
Train to Florence - spend 4 days
visit Siena by bus
Train to Rome - spend 3 days
Fly home
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Sorry Bob, I think we will fly into Rome 3 days, then maybe drive to Tuscany 3 days (Orvieto, Pienza) then Cinque Terre 1.5 days, then Como???????fly out of Milan.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 01:04 PM

Do not be sorry---it was you who said north and no big cities--I guess you did not mean it. BTW, I still say Portovenere[CT] and Lago Orta[better than Como for a MXP departure].
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 01:30 PM

Cortona in southern Tuscany - beautiful. The Hotel San Michelle is right in the heart of town. Take a walk on the old Roman road for a bit of a trip back in time -- and great views across the valley. Nearby, for an amazing lunch (with great wine) (or an amazing overnight if your budget can handle it) is a resort called L'Amorosa (about 1/2 hour from Cortona). Gelato Snoopy in the upper square of Cortona is up there as one of the best gelatos in all of Italy.

Definitely Lucca, perhaps the most beautiful city in Italy.

When in Rome, try to get a tour of Gli Scavi, the excavations beneath the vatican. Very cool. Reservations have to be booked in advance through the Vatican. e-mail to mailto:[email protected].

A great place to stay in Rome is the Palazzo al Velabro. It's not very expensive, but very nice. All rooms have kitchens, very handy. Most everything is an easy walk from there. Rooms facing the forum have small balconies. Be sure to take her to the Trevi Fountain at night and buy her a rose from one of the sellers -- she'll certainly fall in love with Italy after that. For places to eat: one of my favorite "locals" place is Da Lucia in Trastervere -- tables in the alley under laundry lines. Great Roman food. Also good are Maccheroni
Piazza delle Coppelle 44 (near the Pantheon). A trattoria type place not $$ but filled with Roman people and a hang out for movie/TV people. Really good food, and Hosteria del Pesce
Via di Monserrato 32 (not far from Piazza Farnese). Fish, fish, fish. Very good and fresh, but quite $$$$,

In Northern Italy, Lecco is beautiful. About 45 minutes east of Como. Also on Lago di Como, but the opposite point.

If you go to Florence, visit the Medici Chapel and ask to see the basement -- you pay an extra euro, I think, and you get to go into this small room where sketches and doodling attributed to Michelango were discovered on the walls. Eating in Florence: For lunch, La Grotta Guelfa -- under the end of the loggia that spans the Piazza della Republica (the Arno end). A locals lunch place. Very good. For dinner, my romantic favorite is La Loggia on the Piazza Michelangelo. Great food, beautiful setting, view to die for. Also good are La Capponcina, Via San Romano 17/r, and Trattoria Omero
Via Pian dei Giullari Arcetri. For places to stay, if you don't mind tiny, the Hotel Belletini is right in the heart. You can walk to it from the train station. Also, a great place to grab a sandwich and a glass of wine is Le Volpe e l'uva on the Piazza de Rossi.
On the Pitti Palace side of the river.

Driving in Italy is very easy -- not so easy in Rome and Florence unless you have a strong heart.

Gubbio in Umbria (about an hour from Cortona) is also a beautiful town. Orvietto (between Rome and Florence) is also a great town.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 07:37 PM

This is fabulous -- we are also planning our 1st trip to Tuscany and with only 10 days. We are also in our 40s and looking more for the culture, the people vs. museums, arts, etc. And I, paticularly, want to enjoy the food and wine!!! Thanks to everyone who has posted suggestions. Michelle from Canada!