Italy or Barcelona or Greece

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We live in Florida. My husband has a business trip in Greece in Sept. 05.
The airfare to Greece from Tampa is 1,100.
Should we: Go to Greece together
My husband could fly to Greece (company paying for him to Greece), then he could fly to either Rome or Barcelona for around $320 and I could fly from Tampa to Rome or Barcelona for around 750.
Which would be the best. My husband loves the work of Gaudi. We love old archectural buildings, atmosphere. We have the beaches here in FL so thought meeting elsewhere (other than Greece) would be nice. Any other suggestions on different locations would be great.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:31 AM

I also live in Tampa and am flying back to Europe in March. We got a cheap flight into London but are considering visiting Greece as well. If your husband's flight is paid for, I would say have him fly into Greece. I wouldn't fly from straight from Tampa to Greece, as its pretty expensive. However, if you flew to London, Rome, Barcelona, or Paris, you can get reasonable flights over. Flights between any of these cities and Greece are VERY inexpensive if you are flexible (www.easyjet.com, www.ryanair.com) I personally enjoyed Barcelona more, however the architecture in Rome is pretty amazing. I would also consider Paris and Venice...they are both worth the stop.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 12:05 PM

If I were in your shoes, I would go to Greece with your husband. I'm assuming you haven't been to any of the other destinations you mentioned...in that case, why not enjoy Greece and cut out the extra travel for your husband?

Sounds like you want to see something "different." All the cities you mention - beach or not - are quite different from Tampa. Barcelona also has beaches, so if you really want to get away from beaches, then Rome might be the way to go...but in my experience it's easier to get cheaper flights to Rome, so I might save that trip for when the company isn't paying...
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 06:16 PM

You don't say how long your plan to go for, but the airfares you've mentioned sound very high to me. We went RT Seattle-Malaga last year for $449 with a special on British Air (you can sign up for their specials at britishairways.com). Also, as others have suggested, you can fly from London or other European cities for very good rates--also check out whichbudget.com.

I would pick Barcelona over Rome, but that's just me--other people feel differently. I also would pick Venice over Rome. Much has to do with what you and your husband like as they all have much to offer as well as the amount of time you have.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 06:26 PM

Why not greece and greece?
We spent 19 days there and barely saw what we wanted to see.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 06:33 PM

Greece.

He's already there and it's an amazing place with more to see that you'll have time.